Ares Games

Thread: Fiddlers Green Fokker DrI's

Default Fiddlers Green Fokker DrI's

Working on a batch of Fiddlers Green DrI's, after the Prudenzio ones proved more than a match for my feeble skills (curse you nose cowling). At first I was not very impressed with the level of detail and paint colors Fiddlers had compared to the Prudenzio's. But I picked some of the more striking ones from the "Flying Circus" set and was quite impressed with how they turned out! They were also quite a bit quicker to build.

Here they are both boxed up for storage/transport and free flying. I included a Nexus Richtoffen for comparison

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	54011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	54012

The yellow one is supposed to be that of Erich Lowenhardt, though other sources say he never flew a DrI. The black and white chevron is Udet and the black and white barred is that of Bruno Loerzer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	54013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	54014Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0010.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	54015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0011.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	54016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0012.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	54017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0014.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	54018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0015.jpg 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	54019Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0016.jpg 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	54020

I still have four more to make so that I'll have ten DrI's to go up against my ten Sopwith Camels. So far I think I'll do Lothar Richtoffen (Manfreds' little brother), Josef Karl Jacobs, and Karl Bolle. Haven't decided on the last one yet.

Pat

Those look nice! I've always thought the highlights and shading on the Prudenzio prints were to exaggerated.

A very well executed little set Pat.
    A great achievement.
    I'm sure you will get as much enjoyment out of flying them as you did in the production.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Sean
    Sorties Flown

Nice work.

I must try some of these card models they look interesting

Cool planes!

You really need patience to build them but the result is amazing, Patrick.

Very nice!! They look great!!!

Patrick,

Your Fiddler's Green Fokker Dr.1s look Great !

Your work is an inspiration to the rest of us.

Ken

Patrick,

Your Fiddler's Green Fokker Dr.1s look Great !

Your work is an inspiration to the rest of us.

"after the Prudenzio ones proved more than a match for my feeble skills (curse you nose cowling)."
    The Zioprudenzia nose cowling, See: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...m-Zioprudenzio
    Especially posts 9 - 12.

Ken

The color difference shading on Prudenzio's a/c may work better at larger scales. In comparing them to the Fiddlers Green models, they do seem to be needlessly complex for this scale. More research (more models for me!) must be done.

One thing to know about FG, speaking as a longtime customer and member of their forum... their designs are more "artwork" and "caricature" than true "scale", focused on rough proportions, key features and easy building than "accurate to the Nth detail".

That said, I don't regret a single DIME I've spent with Chip & Co. Get 'em while you can, 'cause he's talkin' about retiring in the next year or two...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian Wetzel
    Sorties Flown

Great work. I'm gonna have to give these a try.

As a longtime FG customer, it saddens me to inform you that FG Chief Cook & Bottle Washer Chip Fyn has passed on. His son Scott has taken over in the meantime while they try to find someone to take over the business, but I wouldn't hold my breath on new releases, and a month or so before his end Chip sent an email asking us "Model'n Pals" to hold off on any more of the repaints we usually bombarded him with.

Chip had told me in my last email from him that he was planning a $400 omnibus "Fiddlers Green Complete Collection" DVD package (air alone is like 7 discs) around November, so it may be prudent to snag things while you can.

Pat,

Excellent work on those triplanes! One of the things one picks up when working with card models is which model designs are meant to be built in larger scale (and therefore have more details) and which are either perfect or that can be simplified a bit to be great builds in our scale. Your planes look great!

Doug

I like the look of those Fokker Dr.I's Patrick good job mate

Oh my!!!BEAUTIFUL airplanes!!!!!!!!!!!I guess I will like to work on some of those!!
    Well done!!!

Nick

How did you attach the gimbals? Since the models are paper, does that cause any problems keeping them attached to the bearing while shift them?

Excellent work! I love your Dr.1s.