Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over the Trenches - Recruitment Center

Wink Over the Trenches - Recruitment Center

Think we need a special thread to answer questions, collect informations and get an overview for future campaign pilots.

We can discuss here the options and circumstances how to join the campaign the best way (for example wich side needs pilots, etc.)

So it would be fine if we lead possible new pilots or intrested forum members to this thread.

We have two possible candidates at the moment:

Bob from Suffolk alias ALGYNON for the Central Powers

Todd from Ohio alias TODDWF for the Entente

I'll send them the link for this thread.

I did have one minor worry. If we get a lot more members, how long will it take to do all the voting if we get say 20 AAR's to read and evaluate?
    Rob.

I don't know, Rob.

Thought I've read about max. 5 players for each side in Joaquims campaign post.

(That's quite enough in my opinion.)

I don't know if Bob or Todd really join us, at the moment, but I think it's better to discuss this "joining stuff" in one thread instead of different ones.

Default New Pilots and observers Central Powers

Hi Guys, Not too sure if this is where you would like this information, but I will post here and if it needs to go elsewhere just let me know. Here are my details for "Kaiser Eagles"

PC; Karl Kapler Pilot Aeroplanes: Fokker DR1 & Rumpler
    Npc; Werner Lutz Observer Rumpler

PC; Max Eckhart Pilot Fokker DR1 & Roland CII
    Npc; Johan Schneller Observer Roland CII

Npc; Ludwig Wartensleben Pilot Albatros DV
    Npc; Franz Lederer Pilot Albatros DV
    Npc; Wilhelm Alder Pilot Albatros DIII
    Npc; Hans Pfluger Pilot Albatros DIII

If I can get home early enough, I just might be able to book the kitchen table and get the first scenario completed.

Salute
    Karl Kapler

Bob, I am not sure this is exactly what we had in mind. You are doubling the PC's as scout and two-seater pilots. That is not what was intended as far as I understand it.

I think it should rather look like this (for example):

PC 1 - pilot - assigned scout
    PC2a - pilot / PC2b observer - assigned two-seater

NPC1 - pilot
    NPC2 - pilot
    NPC3a - pilot / NPC 3b - observer
    NPC4 - pilot
    NPC5 - pilot
    NPC6 - pilot

Then list 6 more airplanes (one of them should be a two-seater for the no.3 NPC crew). You would then have 8 airplanes, 2 for the PC's and 6 for the NPC's, but they are also usable for other NPC's as they are put into the squadron's pool. You can, of course, create more NPC two-seater crews than one. I have one PC two seater and two NPC two-seaters myself. Both of the NPC two-seater crews (and some NPC scout pilots) have already been used by other players (one even gaining a kill!). Only up to two of the airplanes should be "rare" types.

NPC's can switch airplanes freely, unless you really wish to have them a specific one preffered, however, it would then be great if you could come up with an explanation developing the character stories somehow though. Mind that anyone can use your NPC's in a scenario, flying any available airplane, unless you choose to play your NPC's in that scenario, in which case you get the right of choice first.

PC's can switch airplanes too, but you should come up with a reason for them to do so in the story.

One more thing, you should give your characters proper military ranks. The PC's would all be Leutnants, the NPC's can have different ranks. Mind that it was usual in the German air force that the pilots had lower ranks than the observers (who were often commissioned officers).

Check this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...jNE1ZQnc#gid=1

As you can see there, only three NPC's have an aircraft preference - listed in Italics. Those three are mine. Two have a specific airplane type preferred, one only "the fastest available". This gives the characters a bit of a background and allows for some storytelling opportunities.

Anyway, Bob, welcome among the ranks of Jasta 24 - Kaisers Adler.

Lets have a couple (dozen) drinks in the mess.

Ah I see, got a bit carried away there. Try this:

PC1 Lt Karl Kapler Fokker Dr1
    PC2a Lt Max Eckhart/ PC2b Lt Wener Lutz Rumpler

NPC1 Lt Johan Schneller
    NPC2 Lt Ludwig Wartensleben
    NPC3a Lt Franz Lederer/NPC3b Lt Wilhelm Alder
    NPC4 Lt Hans Pfluger
    NPC5 Lt Hermann Zimmer
    NPC6 Lt Peter Muller

Airoplanes aditional;
    Fokker Dr1 1
    Roland CII 1
    Albatros Dva 2
    Albatros DIII 2

Bob, it was just an example, you did not have to follow the pattern exactly.

Is the PC observer's first name really "Wener" or was it supposed to be "Werner"?

I see you have a whole lot of Leutnants, are you sure you do not want to give any of them any other rank? You know, there were other ranks than Leutnant too.

Ooops , yes Werner it should have been. Must get a bigger keyboard....

I must admit I liked the template of your last post, it made it nice and easy. I like things simple, it makes my brain hurt if things get complicated. Yes I will change a couple of ranks I think, Herman Zimmer will be an Oberleutnant, and Johan Schneller a Feldwebel. How does that sound?

Thanks for the help by the way.

Bob

Alright, I updated the squadron roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Algynon View Post
    Ah I see, got a bit carried away there. Try this:

PC1 Lt Karl Kapler Fokker Dr1
    PC2a Lt Max Eckhart/ PC2b Lt Wener Lutz Rumpler

NPC1 Lt Johan Schneller
    NPC2 Lt Ludwig Wartensleben
    NPC3a Lt Franz Lederer/NPC3b Lt Wilhelm Alder
    NPC4 Lt Hans Pfluger
    NPC5 Lt Hermann Zimmer
    NPC6 Lt Peter Muller

Airoplanes aditional;
    Fokker Dr1 1
    Roland CII 1
    Albatros Dva 2
    Albatros DIII 2
    Welcome to the Campaign, Bob!

Yes good to have you on board.
    Even more prey for the Bulldogs.

Kyte.

Dispatch from Entente headquarters:

Notice:
    There is a delay in the transfer of the new pilots to the Bulldogs squadron. Our office is completing the transfer papers. Look for the pilots and planes to arrive in the next couple of days.

Welcome Bob I think you are going to enjoy your time here in over the trenches or OTT if you like
    Its a pity you joined the wrong side though
    See you in the skies Paul

Thanks guys, my engine is warming up as I type this, Dawn Patrol about to take off. A worthy adversary the "Bull Dogs", but there can only be one top dog over our sector and that is "The Kaisers Eagles". Look forward to seeing you all in the air.

Bob

...but there can only be one top dog over our sector and that is "The Kaisers Eagles".
    Sounds like a nice engraving for a tombstone.

Default Additional Solo rules

Guys, point me in the right direction please. I have downloaded the solo play rules, but cannot seem to find the amendments that you also use in your scenarios. Especially the results section at the end of each game.Is there a file or thread where I can print these off?

Cheers
    Bob

Bob, check this for the improved solo manoeuvre tables: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...y-s-Solo-Rules

As for the results for the shot down/wounded airmen, the rolls are always done by Joaquim (Blackronin), using his own table, listed here, in the campaign rules.

The results part of the AAR is done to enable tracking of that airman's condition. Simply state which side won (according to the objectives of the scenario), then list all airmen that have participated. List their names, results (shot down, shot down in flames, wounded, returned to base) and their number of victories. If an airman is wounded or shot down in the mission, Joaquim will make a roll for each such airman and then I will update the squadron rosters.

Thanks Jan most excellent. I am now going to re read the AAR's, as the thread you have given me clarifies a few questions I had.

OK, I finally got the recruits in order. I think I'll also borrow Jan's template:

PC1 Lieutenant Charles 'Chuck' Spellman Sopwith Triplane
    PC2a Lieutenant Robert 'Bobby' Kline / PC2b Lt Joseph 'Money' Spamoni Breguet BR.14 B2

NPC1 Captain Francis 'Frank' Willeman
    NPC2 Major Jonathan 'Lucky' Rigby
    NPC3a 2nd Lieutenant Howard 'Hank' Dillard/NPC3b Corporal William Baker
    NPC4 Sergeant George Zeller
    NPC5 Major Herbert 'Bert' Billings
    NPC6 Lieutenant Paul Stone

Airplanes additional;
    Nieuport 17 3
    Sopwith Triplane 2
    RAF R.E. 8 1

The new recruits are looking forward to their first sortie.

Todd

Sounds good.

Here is our Bulldog roster:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Bulldogs/page3

Here is the Campaign Officers Mess:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Officer-s-Mess

You send us two Majors. Think it's no problem with our Major Kyte, because he is our C.O. (commanding officer)*.

You have to choose an Ace abilities for two of your NPCs, too. Here is the information thread:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...nches-Campaign

Think, that's all for the moment, Todd.

*What about a promotion for Major Kyte, Rob?
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 04-30-2012 at 22:53.

Welcome aboard, Todd.

Just a few things:
    - would Sopwith Triplane not fall into the "rare plane" cathegory? If so, only two such planes are allowed to be in your roster: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...l=1#post131439
    - your player characters are supposed to be Flying Officers, not Lieutenants
    - which Breguet are you using as far as armament is concerned?

Hi Todd welcome to the Bulldogs. Hope you enjoy the missions and the banter, The 52nd is down on numbers at the moment but it,s early days
    See you in the Mess, first round on me

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    You send us two Majors. Think it's no problem with our Major Kyte, because he is our C.O. (commanding officer)*.
    I have no problem demoting my pilots. Let me know.

Maybe having a few Flying Officers (your PC's will be of this rank) and NCO's would add some variety to the squadron roster and it would also make the roster stop looking like a garden party of the General Staff attendance list.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
    would Sopwith Triplane not fall into the "rare plane" cathegory?
    Sorry. I am not as knowledgeable as most on this forum. If it is an issue, I can swap in other planes. I was simply going through what I had at hand, and picking what I felt was appropriate.
    your player characters are supposed to be Flying Officers, not Lieutenants
    Again, I blame my ignorance of WWI history. I can correct it.
    which Breguet are you using as far as armament is concerned?
    I don't want to make it too easy, so I was planning on the B/A version.

Believe me, I am not too proud for any advice or history lessons anyone wants to provide. I have been reading some WWI aviation books lately, but definitely do not consider myself well versed in WWI history. Thanks to the influence WoW/WoG and this site, I am improving.

Todd

Todd, maybe reading the campaign rules thread might answer some of the unanswered questions you might have, as well as the thing with with the ranks of your player characters: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Campaign-Rules

Todd, as far as the Sopwith Triplane is concerned, you may wish to check this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopwith_Triplane

It really was a rare bird, and of the roughly 150 Triplanes produced only 6 experiemental machines sported two machine guns (A damage), the rest only a single one (B damage).

As for the Breguet, I am not sure the British ever used it, but you can always play it as French guests, it could give your AAR fluff some extra spice, especially if combined with the Nieuport 17's you have added to the squadron's pool.

Quote Originally Posted by toddwf View Post
    Sorry. I am not as knowledgeable as most on this forum. If it is an issue, I can swap in other planes. I was simply going through what I had at hand, and picking what I felt was appropriate.

Again, I blame my ignorance of WWI history. I can correct it.

I don't want to make it too easy, so I was planning on the B/A version.

Believe me, I am not too proud for any advice or history lessons anyone wants to provide. I have been reading some WWI aviation books lately, but definitely do not consider myself well versed in WWI history. Thanks to the influence WoW/WoG and this site, I am improving.

Todd
    Ranks and planes are still ok in my opinion.

There are Observers, Corporals, Sergeants, Flight Officers, Lieutenants, 2nd Lieutenants, Captains, Majors, etc.

If the RFC had 150 Tripes in WW I - why not 3 planes in the Bulldog Squadron? Same thing with the Breguet - we have SPADs and Nieuports.

Bulldogs - always ready to test allied stuff.

*sighs* Why have any rules at all then? Maybe we should bring Fokker D.VII's and Sopwith Snipes in too? Or maybe Hurricans and FW-190 too?

I know that the main point of this campaign is to have fun, and I am having wagonloads of it, but still, certain things feel a bit strange, such as too high ranks and aircraft that were not being used at that time.

However, since, judging from their names, Todd brought with him a bunch of Yankie volunteers, they may as well use some stranger aircraft.

BTW, Sven, Observer is not a rank.

*sighs* Why have any rules at all then? Maybe we should bring Fokker D.VII's and Sopwith Snipes in too? Or maybe Hurricans and FW-190 too?

I know that the main point of this campaign is to have fun, and I am having wagonloads of it, but still, certain things feel a bit strange, such as too high ranks and aircraft that were not being used at that time.

However, since, judging from their names, Todd brought with him a bunch of Yankie volunteers, they may as well use some stranger aircraft.

BTW, Sven, Observer is not a rank.
    It is all getting too heavy for me chaps.
    Todd could be a flight of RNAS. types drafted in on secondment for my money. Let's not have an arguement about the gravy.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 05-01-2012 at 07:24.

There is no reason not to use any plane that is in the time period. That's why we've got them, to play with them. If I was playing in the Boldogs and I had a Triplane I would bring it into the fold. Rare things do happen to get into our hands. I've bought 3 Fokkers D.VII and an Albatros DVa the other day for 20 Euros all, so...

The ranks are acceptable. In war pilots went up the ranks very quickly if they stayed alive. And I always prefer to take down a Major.

As for the planes, as some of us have fewer and as the UK used several French models, I don't see nothing wrong about using the Breguet.

Welcome, Todd and good games.

Remember, fun, fun, fun!

Well, using that logic, since the Austro-Hungarian Empire started using the Aviatik Berg D.I scout during the autumn of 1917, would it be OK to lend some to the German allies?

Well, using that logic, since the Austro-Hungarian Empire started using the Aviatik Berg D.I scout during the autumn of 1917, would it be OK to lend some to the German allies?
    Why not? Maybe a engineer and a mechanic came with it and it was given to a pilot to be used in true combat environment. You can make a story of it and give more depth and richness to the eagles story. And we would have the privilege of seeing the photos.

Alright, if I manage to rebuild that damned Skytrex set that is driving me crazy with the low quality of the struts...

Alright, if I manage to rebuild that damned Skytrex set that is driving me crazy with the low quality of the struts...
    Let me give you an advice. Replace the struts with good wire.

Jan, I had already read the campaign rules before I asked to join. I just missed the part about the pilots starting as Flying Officers. Sorry about that.

Sorry to throw a wrench into the campaign. I don't want anything I've done to start arguments. Honestly, if there is anything I can do to make the campaign more fun, I am more than happy to do it.

As for the Yankee names, I guess I've been reading too many books about the Americans that flew for the French lately. I've recently read Flying for France (With the American Escadrille at Verdun) by James R. McConnell, and High Adventure (A Narrative of Air Fighting in France) by James Norman Hall. All of the names were just made up off the top of my head... which is American by the way.

Todd

Naaah, there is nothing that would cause me sleepless nights, Todd.

The part about having fun is the most important one.

Naaah, there is nothing that would cause me sleepless nights, Todd.

The part about having fun is the most important one.
    Ditto!

Thanks guys! Looking forward to my first action!

Todd, sit back and enjoy the first mission. As a noob like yourself I trying to take it all in. I just finished mission 1, it was a cracker, cannot wait to get to grips with mission2. Hope to see you "above the trenches"

Bob

Todd, sit back and enjoy the first mission. As a noob like yourself I trying to take it all in. I just finished mission 1, it was a cracker, cannot wait to get to grips with mission2. Hope to see you "above the trenches"

Bob
    Yes it can be addictive Bob.
    I am even fitting the odd mission in between sorties.
    Rob.

Blimey, I'm surprised that not fully committing " 'cos it's too much of a fag" saved that much time Rob....!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Blimey, I'm surprised that not fully committing " 'cos it's too much of a fag" saved that much time Rob....!
    It is actually critical Dave. Just choosing who to fly against, and then having to go through the list again if that person is not available. Choosing someone else and then maybe finding they are picked in the meantime by another pilot.
    The only time I can fly my mission of that complexity and time duration is on a Friday morning between six and midday.
    That means I can't wait for such niceties. I have to fly tommorrow for instance and as far as I can see some of the first choice crews are not yet picked, and this is a good week.
    I know you don't officially start until the 6th, but if i leave it till then, I won't have time to get all the photos downloaded and my report written up, as my wife is entitled to a few minutes a day on line herself. She has been very understanding about all the time this hobby is taking up as it is.
    Rob.

Just a question:

When will our new members join the missions?

Todd says tomorrow - not sure about Bob but I gather he is pushed for time from what he has said before - having said that he has until 20th so plenty of time to have a crack at it.

Hope all the new members can catch up with us as soon as possible That would be fun to go forward "together"

Yes, a valid question Sven. I think I will have to forego trying to catch up with the previous missions and jump straight in with the latest one. As Dave pointed out I am afraid my time is limited,due to my wifes disabilities, and if I can snatch the odd hour here and then it is a bonus for me. I donot want in any way to hamper the campaign for others. Maybe I can do the latest and then go back to the other missions .

Hi Bob.

I think that that is the best option. You can take the other missions as a flashback whenever you can and keep up with us in the new missions.

You are right, I think that is the best option. I am now going to start Mission 6 this evening. I hope to have it completed by Wednesday. I will then try and go back in "Flashback mode" to the other missions so you get a full picture of my Staffel,to round out the campaign. Thanks for the help.

Hi guys.
    I have just been informed at my work that I am being seconded on a 4 to 6 week placement to our offices in INDIA!!!!!and then on to Manilla. Bit of a shock, as this was not supposed to happen until the end of the year. However like life, things happen when you least expect them. Due to the above I am afraid I will be MIA for a few weeks. I will keep in touch with my laptop, but I am not sure that I can pack my minis into my case. For the campaign I would like to be seen as being sent to Berlin, helping out in the testing of new aeroplanes. I will start a thread on reaching Mumbai and give an account of my experiences testing the new Fokker DVII. On my return I will pickup the campaign again, if that is ok with the rest of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast