Ares Games

Thread: Over The Trenches Mission 9 "Gun Ho" The Raid. Bulldogs Squadron.

Default Over The Trenches Mission 9 "Gun Ho" The Raid. Bulldogs Squadron.

“Gun Ho” The raid.

Kyte almost sped into the Ops. room where the pilots were all gathered.
    Thanks to the Mobile Photographic Unit we have the shots we need to identify the position of the Big Gun. From the photos it looks as if it is mounted on a railway wagon for rapid deployment. No wonder the observers could not get an accurate fix on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Objective three..jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	53507

Name:	Objective one.jpg 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	53506

Name:	Objective two..jpg 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	53508

Turner, Wood, and the fitters and riggers have worked miracles to patch up your buses in the short time available, so let’s get stuck in and show these Huns how to fly.
    Oh! By the way, I will be leading this show myself.

Within fifteen minutes the flight was approaching the lines with the SE5’s of Kyte and Hawkwood leading the two RE8’s of Bouncer-Smythe and Farmer just behind and below them.

Name:	DSC_1695.jpg 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	53473

Even before they could cross No man’s land they were bounced by five aircraft from Jasta Raban.
    The first fire was very telling. Hawkwood managed to put a few holes through the Jasta Leaders plane, but Kyte, although suffering rudder damage from his opponent, shot it down with his first burst of fire.

Name:	DSC_1697.jpg 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	53474

The exchange now became manic with a fusillade of machine gun bullets flying everywhere as the two Harry Tates now added their fire to the melee that was rapidly unfolding.

Name:	DSC_1698.jpg 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	53475

As Hawkwood side slipped to avoid another Albatros, Kyte watched as his Lewis raked the next aircraft he came up against. Its Pilot slumped forward in his seat and the Dv. Banked and fell away from the rest of the Flight.
    Meanwhile Smythe had exchanged fire with Muller’s Pfalz and suffered slight damage.

Name:	DSC_1699.jpg 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	53476

By this time Farmer, Hawkwood and Kyte who had Immelmanned to get on the tail of his quarry were in the thick of it.

Name:	DSC_1701.jpg 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	53477

An unknown pilot in a Dv. with the old style cross on a white square upon his wings was bracketed in a fusillade of fire from all of them. First wounded by Hawkwood, and set on fire by Farmer, he was then shot twice through the body by Kyte to become his second victim in as many minutes.

Name:	DSC_1702.jpg 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	53478

Farmer’s RE was , however, also set on fire by the Dv pilot in his death throes even as he plummeted to his doom.

Nigel could not avoid colliding with his main adversary in the crazy dance of death,

Name:	DSC_1703.jpg 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	53479

and whilst it damaged his engine, for Muller it was more dramatic as his top port wing shed its fabric, and he was forced to crash land on the edge of his own forward trench line, to be extracted from the wreck by a pair of German sappers.

Name:	DSC_1704.jpg 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	53480

Things were now looking Black for the Germans, as Nigel turned onto his bombing run just as an Archie burst exploded in front of his aircraft.

Name:	DSC_1706.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	53482

Although the shrapnel whined overhead the shock wave flung the Harry wildly to one side and ruined the aim of the bombs which fell only partly onto the target. As the smoke cleared the massive gun was still on the rails.

Name:	DSC_2202.jpg 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	53503

Name:	DSC_1705.jpg 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	53481

It was now Farmer’s turn to jettison his bombs,

Name:	DSC_1707.jpg 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	53483

but even as he did so the flames finally engulfed his aircraft and it fell in a flaming ball close to where the bombs had exploded, well short of the target.

Name:	DSC_2201.jpg 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	53502

With the mission in tatters, Nigel now turned for home, whilst Kyte and Hawkwood decided to extract vengeance on the remaining Jasa 18 machines.
    Raban was the first to go as Kyte pulled a stall turn and then as the Triplane crossed his line of fire shattered his prop in a welter of bullets. Three in one afternoon.

Name:	DSC_1709.jpg 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	53485

Hawkwood was by now on the tail of the burning DV with the unknown pilot and shot part of it away in the chase.

Name:	DSC_1710.jpg 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	53486

Nigel on his run for home had finally taken some serious damage when his plane was bracketed by Archie fire, and a small oily flame was licking up the side of his fuselage.

Name:	DSC_1711.jpg 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	53487

It was not the only flame that was causing concern, for despite continuing to tail the Albatros Hawkwood could not get another clear shot for the smoke issuing from his adversary’s kite.

Name:	DSC_1712.jpg 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	53488

Nigels run for the lines was still fraught with peril but he managed to dodge both the attentions of more ground fire and another pass by a roaming Albatros of Jasta 18.

Name:	DSC_1713.jpg 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	53489

Name:	DSC_1714.jpg 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	53490

Name:	DSC_1718.jpg 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	53491

Kyte and Hawkwood were still also getting the attentions of ground fire but continued to hunt down the remaining enemy still flying.

Name:	DSC_1720.jpg 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	53493

Name:	DSC_1722.jpg 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	53494

Kyte now attacked head on an Albatros with a striped tail, and despite receiving no return fire failed to hit it.
    Following up, Hawkwood was equally unsuccessful.

Name:	DSC_1723.jpg 
Size:	210.5 KB 
ID:	53495

Name:	DSC_1724.jpg 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	53496

After some more desultory manoeuvring during which time Kyte was the only aircraft to manage an exchange of shots with the well handled Hun machine, and seeing that Nigel was now well to the West of the lines, he fired a red very flare to inform Hawkwood to break off the action.

Name:	DSC_1725.jpg 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	53497

Name:	DSC_1726.jpg 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	53498

Name:	DSC_1727.jpg 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	53499

Name:	DSC_1728.jpg 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	53500

This was none too soon for just as he broke for the lines Kyte was bracketed by another burst of Archie fire, bringing his machine very close to the limit of its tolerance.

Name:	DSC_2203.jpg 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	53504

With reluctance, both machines abandoned the duel and headed for Bentangles aerodrome.

The Butcher’s bill.
    Big Bertha only damaged by bombs.
    Hawkwood. Returned to drome slight damage.
    Kyte. Aircraft written off. Three victories.
    Nigel Bouncer Smythe. Severe damage to RE8. One enemy destroyed in collision. Failed to destroy objective.

Farmer/and Dodgson. Shot down over enemy territory.

Name:	DSC_2205.jpg 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	53505

Rob.

Name:	Aerial-photographers.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	53472
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_1708.jpg   DSC_1719.jpg   DSC_1730.jpg  

Our Commanding Officer made a triple?

Kyte rules the skies!

Impressive bombing rund, Rob. I like this railway gun.

Think it was a hard job to fight vs. five AI planes, but you did it right. Shoot them out of the skies as quick as possible.

It was a case of muck or nettles Sven.
    I went for the nettles.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Wonderful effort from your "Bulldogs" Rob. Must be a "Gong" in it for Kyte with 3 EA destroyed in a single mission.
    Looks like another sortie required to destroy that Big Gun.
    (Witch looks quite Awesome by the way!)

I have just dropped in to see you posted the awaited AAR, Rob!
    I promise to read it carefully in the afternoon.
    Three victories I see... that's amazing Kyte is becoming the ace of aces! Congrats! (what am I saying ?, poor comrades...)

Another cracking bloodfest Rob - breathless & brilliant stuff - 8 kills in one mission must be a record

I would have given the D.V with the old style cross on a white square upon his wings to Hawkswood though as he was furthest away & should have fired last in that situation but in the excitement and chaos of the action these things are easily overlooked (I know I have !). Did the rear gunners of the Harry Tates get any rounds off in that turn? They looked close enough to score too !

This report should be a classic in any aviation (uuups, Wings of Glory) academy. Dramatic, full of action and really bloody. Kyte at his best, to Eagles' despair.
    Thanks for documenting the story so thoroughly, Rob. It was a pleasure read, although our guys got a heavy beating .
    Let me ask 3 questions Rob:
    1. Why do you use A cards for collision, not C (am I wrong playing that way)? A house rule?
    2. Collision rules indicate to ignore any special damage besides explosion. Nigel should get 3 points, with his engine intact. You noted the whole damage. A house rule?
    3. Why did you note only a half damage to the gun? Was not the whole load of bombs used? In my mission my Rumpler released all the eggs and it was a direct hit. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Wonderful effort from your "Bulldogs" Rob. Must be a "Gong" in it for Kyte with 3 EA destroyed in a single mission.
    Looks like another sortie required to destroy that Big Gun.
    (Witch looks quite Awesome by the way!)
    The actual mission only took about half the playing time Barry. Once we had got Nigel on his way home, I farted about trying to get Hawkwood that last plane to at least get him one kill, but as things often go in this game, after knocking em down in quick succession, we could not get a bead on that last aircraft, and all just went round in circles for ages firing blanks. Eventually Kyte was getting so low on points I decided to get him home whilst he could still enjoy his victory. It was as well that I did because that last unexpected burst of Archie could easily have done for him. Hawkwood still had plenty of points, but i decided to call it a day as the AI had manovered so well that I felt he deserved a break.
    It was, incidentally, also a first for me as I have never managed three planes down in one game before.
    Maybe we should start a Poll on who has shot down the most planes in one game. Somebody will have to try and break the real life record, which I believe is four for WWI, unless someone knows better. So we are aiming our sights at five!
    Thanks for the praise, but it was really just the fall of the cards that did it all.
    Rob.

The missing two-seater-crew managed to return but need a longer stay in the hospital:

Farmer skips 2 scenarios

Dodgeson skips 4 scenarios

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...nfirmary/page2

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    This report should be a classic in any aviation (uuups, Wings of Glory) academy. Dramatic, full of action and really bloody. Kyte at his best, to Eagles' despair.
    Thanks for documenting the story so thoroughly, Rob. It was a pleasure read, although our guys got a heavy beating .
    Let me ask 3 questions Rob:
    1. Why do you use A cards for collision, not C (am I wrong playing that way)? A house rule?
    2. Collision rules indicate to ignore any special damage besides explosion. Nigel should get 3 points, with his engine intact. You noted the whole damage. A house rule?
    3. Why did you note only a half damage to the gun? Was not the whole load of bombs used? In my mission my Rumpler released all the eggs and it was a direct hit. Am I missing something?
    What I tend to do for collisions Andrzej is this. If the bases just overlap A card. If the pegs are involved C.

I have always felt that in a collision any damage is possible hence my scoring Nigels damage thus.

As a gun card would have had a dot to cover for full damage, i felt that my use of a model would give the bomber an unfair advantage over the chaps using a card. I decided that if the card did not cover the barrel of the gun it could only result in partial danage. this is in fact what happened, and we all saw where Farmer laid his eggs so that was that.
    Rob.

Now I see.
    In fact your collision rules are even more restrict than those of mine (only pegs collide and C) so
    The partial damage was fair.
    Thanks for the answer, Rob.

Cripes ! If I scored collisions on overlapping bases I'd never get home

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Cripes ! If I scored collisions on overlapping bases I'd never get home
    Remember Dave that I usually play with altitude rules, so collisions don't happen all that often.
    It is only in Over the trenches that I don't play altitude very often.
    Rob.