Ares Games

View Poll Results: How Do You Take Your 'Wings of Glory'?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like my WGF straight up!

24 40.00%
  • Give me a mug of WGS, neat!

4 6.67%
  • I'll have WGF with a dash of WGS.

18 30.00%
  • I take my WGS with a sprinkle of WGF.

3 5.00%
  • WGF and WGS in equal measure for me thanks.

9 15.00%
  • Prefer something more exotic? Share your receipe...

2 3.33%

Thread: How do you take your 'Wings of Glory'?

Default How do you take your 'Wings of Glory'?

Step up the bar and name your 'Wings of Glory' poison!

Are you a WGF fanatic, or do you prefer WGS?

Perhaps you like to 'mix' your WG experience?

So, what'll it be?
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 06-12-2012 at 05:41.

Doesn't help your poll, but I'm a collector (not a hoarder, just '1 of every mini released', thank you) primarily, most years you could count my gaming sessions on one hand with fingers to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Doesn't help your poll, but I'm a collector (not a hoarder, just '1 of every mini released', thank you) primarily, most years you could count my gaming sessions on one hand with fingers to spare.
    I'd put that under the last option, it's the poll catchall.

Cheers,

Carl.

I was a WWII fan since my kit bulding era, but WGF was just...first. Since the day when I bought a WGF Deluxe set, I started study WWI history (and it is really interesting!). When I got my university diploma, I bought a WGS Deluxe set and I like both games now. It is true, that the WGS was much slower start for me (it really started with the 3rd serie) - the WGF caught me immediately. Now, I really like both games and I am looking forward to every new serie or special pack.

My main is WGF with more than a few, but I do have around a weak sqn of Spits , Hurricanes and ME109 & thanks to eBay a few Pacific fighters too.
    So just a dash of WGS for me
    Last edited by Boney10; 06-12-2012 at 14:07.

Depends on what type of game I am playing, WGF for a social game, WGS for a full on game!

WGF all the way for me.
    If I went into WGS it would dilute my WGF time even more.
    Don

WGF all the way for me. I have the WW2 version but for me it doesn't have the same feel. I've thought several times about getting into BoB era WGS using the large number of 1/300 painted models that I already have, but there's no spark in it for me and I prefer using other rules to cover WW2. Not that I get much time to play anything more than a few games of WGF these days.

Only ever played one or two games of WGS. I prefer the Great War period and its pilots.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I prefer the Great War period and its pilots.
    Rob.
    Exactly same opinion here. More legendary, less ideological.
    But I always gladly host a game of WGS (have many minis and cards) when trying to incite people to the hobby. They easily recognize Spits, Zeroes and Bf-109 when it comes to an aerial fight. From there, it's an easy step down to less speedy aeroplanes

It's a time and money thing for me; I found WGF first, and bought it. I have neither time nor wish to divert the money to get WGS as well. Seems like fun, just with Warhammer, WH40K, WGF and interest in board and computer games, a man has to draw the line before his wife draws it for him!

Dave

WGF straight for me - I was looking forward to WGS when it came out but was so disappointed when they went 1/200 scale that I lost all interest in it. I may rekindle the flame one day but will do it in 1/144.

Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    WGF straight for me - I was looking forward to WGS when it came out but was so disappointed when they went 1/200 scale that I lost all interest in it. I may rekindle the flame one day but will do it in 1/144.

It's only WGF for me. Love the planes, love the period, period.

I like both even despite the fact that FGS plays a lot slower than WGF.

I like WGF, but some of the new releases in WGS are tempting me....

Dispite having a large hanger full of WGS, my preference is WGF. I think the system works better for WW1, and I like a more realistic game for WW2.
    That said, I'll cheerfully gun CappyTom's Wildcat down if the opportunity allows
    So just a dash of WGS in my WGF.
    Karl

Thumbs up

Well WW1 has always been my favourite even though I am interested in Battle of Britain stuff.
    I have not tried WGS as I am so happy with the WGF rules & all the Aircraft. What a great choice from 1914 throught to end 1918.

I take my WGF like my whisky: neat!

I don't know why, but WW2 seems less interesting to me.

Never tried WGS, so It's WGF all the way so far for me.

/Jörgen

WGF straight up, no ice, no water no WGS !

I started out with WGF then tried WGS. As I played both I started to enjoy WGS more as it was a bit more complex and you have to think fast to the situation or you were shot down. It's a faster game and I love it more than WGF. I still play WGF and it has its plus'. I thank Ares for picking up the ball and running so well with it.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Dispite having a large hanger full of WGS, my preference is WGF. I think the system works better for WW1, and I like a more realistic game for WW2.
    That said, I'll cheerfully gun CappyTom's Wildcat down if the opportunity allows
    So just a dash of WGS in my WGF.
    Karl
    An addendum: I would be open to some exotic game based on this system. Chrimson Sky comes to mind (as had been mentioned before), and my mind goes out to some dieselpunk/steampunk variations. Something more D&Dish (with dragons and such) would be interesting to try too.
    Karl

I prefer WGF to WGS as I like the period and the planes over the WGS ones.

Almost WWI neat, but I bought Dawn of War when it came out and haven't been able to keep off the minis completely - So I try to play a WWII every now and then, so that the stuff won't go bad from disuse.

/Niclas

Well I just want to say that if anyone wants to get rid of there WW2 stuff, cause of lack of use, I just had a B-day and would love them as gifts...
    They will go to a great home and get lots of love and air-time.
    say no more...say no more. A is as good to a nod to a blind bat.
    Thomas

I'm a switch hitter and will play both games. They both are awful simplified, but are so easy to play I can't say no to either system. Lloyd

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Ditto, Lloyd!!

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Well I just want to say that if anyone wants to get rid of there WW2 stuff, cause of lack of use, I just had a B-day and would love them as gifts...
    They will go to a great home and get lots of love and air-time.
    say no more...say no more. A is as good to a nod to a blind bat.
    Thomas
    If the US is to far to ship it to they can always direct it to me .

As of this moment I only own WGS stuff and none of the WGF stuff. I actually never played WGF. I can't compare them but afraid that 2 games to buy models for will drive the CO in the curtains I hang on to WGS. Curious to play WGF though...

I really like mine straight up, but I'm seriously considering a planes versus pterodactyls scenario on a Friday evening in the near future.

I love WWI aircraft,and have the greatest admiration for the pilots.but some of the WWII planes are drawing me in,must resist

The poll is now over with 60 votes, breakdown as follows:

70% prefer to play WGF (42)

40% play WGF only (24)

11.7% prefer WGS (7)

6.7% play WGS only (4)

15% play both WGF and WGS without preference (9)

3.3% don't play but enjoy the game in their own ways (modelling, collecting, etc) (2)

WGF is definitely the version of the game most preferred by members of this site and I suspect most players. It will be interesting to see if with the release of the WGS bombers and series 4 WW2 if WGS can gain some traction.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 09-27-2012 at 05:41.

For my own part, it's like this...
    While I enjoy the WGS game, WWII dogfights is a little bit too much and not enough charm.
    Intellectually, I'm of course aware that the reality of WWI air battles was every bit as grim - But the romantic glow of my childhood of the great war era still lingers somehow (mostly Biggles fault, I guess).

/Niclas