Ares Games

View Poll Results: Do you use altitude rules for bombing?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I use the official altitude bombing rules.

12 63.16%
  • I use my own altitude bombing rules.

0 0%
  • No, I use the normal bombing rules and don't care for the plane altitude.

7 36.84%

Thread: Do you use altitude rules for bombing?

Default Do you use altitude rules for bombing?

You know the rules, when bombing from altitude level 2 - 3, 4 - 6, etc...

But do play with those rules?

I know, that the idea is, to simulate a longer flight of the bombs, but in my opinion the bombs are moving like planes then and this is not ok.

Every bomb reaches after a kind of forward movement the point when the direction goes straight downwards.

I think the point is reached when the first (drop-) straight maneuver or (drop-) stall maneuver is done.

So we use the normal bombing rules and don't care how low or high the bomber, twoseater or scout is.

There is a thread on here somewhere where Zoe explains bomb trajectories in full, and after reading it, and realizing what a complex thing it was to simulate accurately, I went back to the simple rules.
    Rob.

Yes I understand the complexities of such being an Ex- gunner, still have my hand outs on Artillery balistics.

I use the altitude rules for bombing as it gives the bomber a fighting chance on surviving the battle. Once you use them a couple times they become second nature and not hard to handle.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    I use the altitude rules for bombing as it gives the bomber a fighting chance on surviving the battle. Once you use them a couple times they become second nature and not hard to handle.

Thomas
    I also, but bombing is one mission I don't care for so don't play it much.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    You know the rules, when bombing from altitude level 2 - 3, 4 - 6, etc...

But do play with those rules?

I know, that the idea is, to simulate a longer flight of the bombs, but in my opinion the bombs are moving like planes then and this is not ok.

Every bomb reaches after a kind of forward movement the point when the direction goes straight downwards.

I think the point is reached when the first (drop-) straight maneuver or (drop-) stall maneuver is done.

So we use the normal bombing rules and don't care how low or high the bomber, twoseater or scout is.
    The rules are intended to make it more difficult to hit the target when bombing from higher altitudes - it is more difficult to estimate where the things are going to fall. Without them bombers can fly over at maximum altitude and bomb with the same accuracy as a low level run but without the risks of ground fire.

The rules aren't a perfect simulation, but as long as both sides use the same system it makes no difference within the game.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post

Thomas
    I have to agree... WHen you first try altitude bombing, it's a little difficult, but once you get the hang of it, it's no different than gauging where your own plane will be in relation to other objects on the table... It's a matter of knowing your deck.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Yup, use the official rules for bombing everything from ammo dumps to subs!!!