Ares Games

Thread: missing canopy

Default missing canopy

Alas, when I was painting a canopy for a repaint of an Ftoys F4U Corsair the canopy went sailing to places unknown. I have to admit I have no idea where it went and am now looking for a new canopy. Anyone out there have such a thing in a bits box? If you do, please let me know. Thanks Lloyd

Thumbs up

Loyd!

I picked up a half built Revell 144 Corsair and discovered it lacked a canopy. I scrounged around and came up with a bird cage replacement. Faced with the same predicament on a Oscar i shaped the replacement out of spruce and painted it silver. I lost the cockpit glass on a Big Bird B-24, still trying to find a replacement for that. I will check my odds and ends canopy box for a Corsiarish replacement.

Rich

There is a method for making canopies using a plastic called PET-G - the same type used for plastic drink bottles.

See: http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazin...g_canopies.htm

Ken

Good morning, Rich I have been glumly considering doing just what you recommended. I don't really want to try my hand at sculpting, but if it comes to that I guess to finish the bird I'll have to get out my knives, files, and extra plastic and have a go at it. If you find something Corsairish in you bits box that would be great, thanks for looking. Cheers Lloyd

Ken thanks for the suggestion on the canopy, but holy cow that is a lot of work! Cheers, Lloyd

Guys don't you wish you still had your old Vacum Form machine these days? I remember them as a kid but you could use it now.

Exactly, though I have to admit I never had one of those. For years I did have packs of the transparent material for a vacuform, but I don't know what has happened to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydthegamer View Post
    Exactly, though I have to admit I never had one of those. For years I did have packs of the transparent material for a vacuform, but I don't know what has happened to them.
    Holy crap, unbelievably, I may have a spare F-Toys F4U-1 (I might have 2 x F4U-4 canopies too?) canopy! If I'm not mistaken the ones I bought came with a painted canopy, and an unpainted one! Let me go check...be right back!

OK, back now...damn, I am getting old. Out of breath just going up and down the stairs, geeze.

What I have are 2 of the Corsair canopies, two piece (open cockpit option), unpainted.

I own 3 of the F4U-1, F-Toys Corsairs, and 2 of the F4U-4, F-Toys Corsairs. I have no idea if these are F4U-1 or F4U-4 canopies, but I don't think there is any difference. Also, the models came with a painted one piece, closed canopy, and an unpainted two piece canopy for an open cockpit option. It's the unpainted, two piece open cockpit option ones that I have.

I usually keep most of my spare parts for...well, until now, I have no idea why I usually keep all those damn little extras, hmm. Anyway, I guess I'll send you a PM. I have two sets of unpainted, two piece canopies, still on the runners if you still need one, I'd be happy to send both along.
    Last edited by kaufschtick; 08-06-2012 at 12:44.

Crying I just looked at my Corsair and where is my canopie? Don't know how it got lost. Should have glued it on when I brought it home.

(Hopefully) not that it matters regarding canopy fits, but I think the F4U-1 Corsair is a BANDAI product, while the F4U-4 is F-TOYS, from their Vol.6 series.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    (Hopefully) not that it matters regarding canopy fits, but I think the F4U-1 Corsair is a BANDAI product, while the F4U-4 is F-TOYS, from their Vol.6 series.
    Yeah, you're right, the F4U-1s are Bandai...no idea from what kits my spare canopies came from. I gave the Bandai & F-Toys Corsairs the ole' "eyeball check", and the canopies look to be nearly dead on the same. Being that small however, only trying it out for real is going to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Crying I just looked at my Corsair and where is my canopie? Don't know how it got lost. Should have glued it on when I brought it home.
    Holy Smokes! Am I reading this right?! A second Corsair Canopy Crisis! I do have two full spare canopies. Each one is in two pieces so you could do the open canopy look if you want, but I have two full spares. I PM'd Lloyd that I'd send him both in case he has trouble with one, but I guess I could send you each one. Let me know Bob.
    Last edited by kaufschtick; 08-07-2012 at 05:42.

Bob, I just sent two complete canopy sets to Llyod, but I found one more I can send you if you need one. It is in two pieces, so you can do open cockpit if you want.

They must be from the Bandai kits, because I bought three of those F4U-1s way back when, and I wound up with three canopy spares. If I remember right, those came with a one piece canopy that was painted, but it included also an unpainted, 2-piece canopy that you could use if you wanted to do an open cockpit deal.

Send me a PM if you need one!
    Last edited by kaufschtick; 08-07-2012 at 12:07.

Rob you will not beleive this but my wife said it must have falled off when I was showing it to her. As I was putting it back on the shelf I felt something under my toe. The canopy. Now it is glued on so not lost. Thank you so much for your offer. As on vet to another Thanks for your service. I always remember this month. I was sitting in Saigon waiting for my flight back to the states (3 more days).

Rob you will not beleive this but my wife said it must have falled off when I was showing it to her. As I was putting it back on the shelf I felt something under my toe. The canopy. Now it is glued on so not lost. Thank you so much for your offer. As one vet to another Thanks for your service. I always remember this month. I was sitting in Saigon waiting for my flight back to the states (3 more days).
    Wait, your canopy is glued to your toe?!? (Sorry, I couldn't resist )

I had an uncle who served in Vietnam, battlefield commissioned to Capt., forward artillery spotter with the Army. Bronze Star & Purple Heart. You have my sincerest heartfelt gratitude. I'm so glad to be able to say "Hello and Thank YOU"; to you here.

When and if ( ) I make it through the Pearly Gates of Heaven, the first thing I'm going to do is to say "Thank You" to St. Peter, for letting me through; then I'm going to go and shake the hands, and say "Thank You", to all those veterans who never made it back home. You can bank on that too.
    Last edited by kaufschtick; 08-12-2012 at 22:30.

KUDOS to you for that thought. Again thanks for the offer. Well I did get it off my toe and onto the model so all is good.

Thumbs up

KUDOS to you for that thought. Again thanks for the offer. Well I did get it off my toe and onto the model so all is good.
    LOL! I couldn't resist! Llyod, let us know how that thing works out for you! Curious as to if it will fit or not!

I am eagerly awaiting the canopy and have the bird almost completely painted and ready to receive it. I will take pictures when it's all done. Thanks again for sending the canopies! Lloyd

OK, kudos to the USPS! They told me Lloyd would get the canopies Friday 8/11/2012, and Lloyd PM'd me that he got them a day early on Thursday 8/10/2012! Way to go Uncle Sam!

Eagerly awaiting news (and pics?) on how they fit!

Default Here's what all the fuss was about.

I finally finished the bird today and took some pictures.

Ira flies again, though I admit that this Corsair is not the correct mark for him, it's close enough for me.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/ass...7&d=1345072482

I have to admit the canopy is the one Rob sent. This canopy came from another F toy Corsair. Here it is with its future canopy thanks to Rob!

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/ass...7&d=1345072647

Here's a picture of both of them side by side.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/ass...7&d=1345072781

My next bit of business is adding that new canopy and getting the new Corsair in VF 17 colors. Thanks again to Rob for such generous help.

Cheers, Lloyd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0160.jpg   PICT0149.jpg   PICT0152.jpg  

How about that? The pictures didn't wind up where I wanted them. While I'm at it, does any one have a suggestion on how to decrease the "silvering" of the transparent part of decals? It is quite noticeable on the white decal across the top of the fuselage. Lloyd

Lloyd

They came out nice and great photos! The way i was taught to blend in the silvering was a two step precess. After painting spay a coat of gloss coat on the model this gives a nice shiny finish, just like the decal film. After applying the decals give the model a coat of gloss coat or dull coat what ever finish your looking for!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3509.jpg  

How about that? The pictures didn't wind up where I wanted them. While I'm at it, does any one have a suggestion on how to decrease the "silvering" of the transparent part of decals? It is quite noticeable on the white decal across the top of the fuselage. Lloyd
    To avoid the "silvering" the area where the decal goes needs to be a gloss finish. A gloss finish is smooth while a flat finish is microscopically rough. That's trapped air in the silvering. No amount of decal solvent can compensate for the rough finish.
    I spray the entire model with a clear gloss, apply the decals, let them dry over-night, and spray model with clear flat.

Jim

Jim and Rich, thanks for the tip. I'll have to give it a go. Do you use any particular gloss finish on your models? Lloyd

Lloyd

I go with the old stand by Testors, for both Gloss Coat and Dull Coat. There are five decals on the P-51 and not a bit of silvering!

Rich

Jim and Rich, thanks for the tip. I'll have to give it a go. Do you use any particular gloss finish on your models? Lloyd
    I've been using Rustoleum Gloss Enamel with excellent results. For flat I've been using Krylon Clear Flat acyrilic.
    Both are availible at Wal-Mart and are much more economical than Testors.

Jim

For a decal that has already silvered and before a top coat of varnish (although may work with a varnish), use a pin to prick some holes in the silvered areas and then put a drop of Microsol (or favourite decal softener) on the hole and some will be 'wicked' under the decal reducing the silvering. You may have to repeat with more holes depending on how well it is drawn under the decal.

Quote Originally Posted by pbhawkin View Post
    For a decal that has already silvered and before a top coat of varnish (although may work with a varnish), use a pin to prick some holes in the silvered areas and then put a drop of Microsol (or favourite decal softener) on the hole and some will be 'wicked' under the decal reducing the silvering. You may have to repeat with more holes depending on how well it is drawn under the decal.
    Morning, Peter I tried the pin and Microsol trick and it really worked well. It made at least 95% of the silvering disappear. Thanks for the great idea. Lloyd

Peter

I will have to remember that one also!

Rich

Thanks for this tip. I will have to use it if I have any trouble.

I forgot to add that I did this after the Dullcote was on. So it does work even after getting a protective coat on the paint. Lloyd