Ares Games

Thread: Whats on your bench for July?

Default Whats on your bench for July?

It was once suggested to make this a monthly thread and now that the original one is several pages, here we go! It is very helpful and inspirational to see all of your efforts! mine have been backlogged with Father's Day, birthdays and other land events. Here's mine for now:

Work continues on the high altitude zeppelin program, here the fins are being mounted. The monster tri-plane bombers are in the paint shop, soon to be skinned with lozenges, and the HP V1500 is being mapped out. A pair of dog houses also emerged without authorization, you have to give it to those elves!

The HP V1500 will be around a 10.5" wingspan, a bit smaller than the Staaken in a lot of ways . . .

Still in the wings (?) are a dozen type P zeppelins . . .

Then there is the 1/48 scale free flight bomber program . . .

B-24's and B-17's in pairs of course . . .

At 150' with a Valkyrie! Way too much fun!

So many models so little time, I am so happy to have a house infested with elves! Clipper

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Me? July...painting my Shapeways airfleet. Four or five at a time. It'll take, oh,...FOREVER!!!!

This month it's
    1. a couple of Spad 7
    2. A big Ack with Bristol landing gear
    3. A couple of Fokker DVII
    4. Breadners Camel
    5. A couple of DR1 for jasta 19

I like it Dave!

This month I'm still on 1/200 WGS, concentrating on RAF and Commonwealth Air Forces:

2 x RNZAF Brewster Buffalo Mk.I
    2 x RAF Gloster Gladiator Mk.I
    3 x RAF Bristol Blenheim Mk.IV
    2 x RAAF Bristol Beaufighter Mk.IC
    1 x RAAF Lockheed Hudson Mk.III
    4 x RAAF Supermarine Spitfire Mk.VC

If I can get these finished in the next four weeks I will be happy (and very surprised!)
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 07-03-2012 at 19:16.

1/200 AIM 109s, 110s, Stukas, Heinkels, Dorniers. May be put on hold if Flytrap release their 15mm modern Brits early.

Wow! These look like war time production numbers! Keep up the good work and keep 'em flying!!

Nothing at the moment...

...but I finished two flight stands for 1/200 Ju52s a few days ago and there are Beligan decals for a Nieuport 17.

This month I have:
    2 x Gotha V
    1 x Pfalz DIII
    1 x Voison III
    1 x Albatros CIII
    All nearing completion although I have to recruit some more crew from Peter Pig before I can finish them all.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gyula
    Sorties Flown

July will be a strange month for the bench.
    Usually its a hodgepodge of projects I've had lying around for, oh well, lets just say a very long time.
    After finishing up a pair of Brisfits, the only aircraft is an Academy B-17. Picked it up years ago on the bargain bin table.
    Must admit, I am preparing to order a few more WWI aircraft.
    Other than that, there is a pair of Gorn DN's for Federation Commander.
    I also have some 15mm Zhao Chinese that have, for a very long time, been beseeching their ancestors for me to finish.
    Finally, there is a 15mm Teutonic Army primed and ready to be painted.

Clearly a case of shiny penny syndrome.

Ok, time to fess up I guess.

Here's whats on my bench at the moment. It may look a lot (though not compared to most of you guys, of course), but the post for next month will probably look exactly the same (perhaps with a few additions) - I'm sloooow...I leisurely pace is something I can only dream of.
    And this is only what's actually on the bench. A lot of little unfinished projects have been phased out to make room for these.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	workbench.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	236.7 KB 
ID:	51451

What you see in the pic is: An Sram Short, a Nexus DH4, the beginnings of some Fokker D.VII's, the beginnings of a Gotha IV, a bunch of early Albatrosses in various stages of disrepair and the very early stages of a SSZ airship. In the background is part of the repaint cue (including a Gotha scored by the wife today - wohoo!)

/Niclas

This month I will be painting mostly Albatros DIIs.
    Rob.

This month I'll be doing nothing on the workbench front. I will be moving the workbench to our new house so all my modeling stuff got packed today and will soon be moved. I'm hoping to unpack soon though and continue to work on my american C-47 and 2 B-17G that are waiting for me.

Great looking planes,love the F/F bombers

not a thing as of now but i got the wife talked into letting me get a couple when we get the money so YAY me i will document my first ever build on my own wish me luck

Ohh! Quick! Forgot I needed a Staaken skinned as well!

Love the lozenge stickers, they are quick and easy : ) Clipper catching up!

Must be Staaken up work for those Elves again then David.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Oh, brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Vadasz View Post
    Other than that, there is a pair of Gorn DN's for Federation Commander.
    Which iteration of minis? I have a very old Gorn CA that has been partially painted for 20+ years now.

My list includes some 15mm scifi for the Traveller 2300AD game I'm running. Also, there's the ever-growing list of WWI planes, soon to have a new arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    1/200 AIM 109s, 110s, Stukas, Heinkels, Dorniers. May be put on hold if Flytrap release their 15mm modern Brits early.
    I remember looking at Flytrap when they only had the U.S. Marines. The sculpts look good, but the shipping to the U.S. made it prohibitive. Now they have more goodies and some Royal Marines to fight zombies along side my S.A.S. might be just the thing.

My paint bench has
    2 Camels 1 Albatros Skytrex / Reviseco damaged and just finished being rebuilt.
    My scratch built Sopwith Triplane
    All partly painted
    And the work bench
    1 DH2 Pewter scratch build partly built.
    3 Revell Fokker triplane kits for conversion.
    And looking at scratch building another Bristol M1C scout out of plastic.

They look great, Rob!

/Niclas

Two smart looking planes.
    Well done Rob.

As always my hat is off to all of you that do such outstanding work.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gyula
    Sorties Flown

John,
    The Gorn DN are from the old Task Force Games Starfleet 2300 series. Found them at a local shop for 6 bucks each.
    Also picked up the new Call to arms rules for Starfleet. At this point, I'm too tired to play the original SFB and even Federation and commander is too intensive for me.
    The new rules are much more streamlined and I can concentrate on destroying ships, not filling out energy allocation forms and marking off Lab hits !
    On a WWI note, managed to find a couple more UFAG C.Is to add to my A-H air forces as well this weekend. Made some decals to just update the Serial numbers on the Aircraft.

Come on Cold front !

Gyula

I know exactly what you mean about SFB. We used to play it often, then started playing FedCom instead. Now even the thought of FedCom gives me a headache.

If you get a chance, c'mon over to Savage Mill tomorrow for Wings of War night!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Not bad on the DII's, Rob. They look incredible!

Very nice looking DII there Rob

Just had an Iwata Smart Jet compressor delivered. I am in the process of building a smal hobby cupboard to do work in. Will install an electrical outlet there next week. Then I can see what is in the case and start a project. First I need to learn to airbrush!

Lol

P

I would like to finish a !44 scale PBY in fall of 1942 scheme. It would add to the Guadalcanal games i plan on running in August!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5180117.jpg  

At the club WW2 is the flavour of the month so I am working on the the following AIM models
    2 x P.40's for the PNG theater
    2 x P38's (Helmet 200 models)
    3 x Ki48 jap bombers (waiting for my son Neville to paint the camo)
    2 x Ki30's (single engined jap bombers)
    Finished
    2 x Aust P.40's for PNG
    2 x Aust P.40's for North Africa

New arrivals for the troops taking a hot water bath to reshape and clean before getting uniforms . . . yeah I know they are Shapeways.

Clipper getting ready for a good painting binge!

I hope haven't started eating planes - Knife and forks in pic cause of worry.

Just started my SRAM Pomilio. Will post pictures when completed.

Rob.

Painting question:
    In repainting the Wings planes do you have to strip the paint or can you just paint over them? I have to ask the experts.

In my experience, most planes turns out ok with just a new base coat without removing the original paint first. Though the decals may show through, so I try to remove those.

/Niclas

yes, I agree with Niclas. I don't strip paint from the Gasaphon pre-painted planes when i repaint them.

Here you can see part way through the conversion and then the finished plane and there is no obvious area of original paint or new paint or overpaint areas.

Name:	JU88R2 l.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	54134

Name:	Ju88R2.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	54135

1/144 Hawker Hurricanes for BoB & desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    1/144 Hawker Hurricanes for BoB & desert.
    With me it tends to depend on the colour scheme. Decals are best removed, especially as some are not always secure at the edges. If the paint is a dark colour I spray white primer over it, but lighter colours can usually be overpainted without this step.
    Rob.

Smile

Almost finished!

I am nearly finished with my own July build a 144 scale TBF Avenger and a PBY-5A. I need to add the canopy lines but will wait for a stress free time. I will not need them until August 10th!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P7310004.jpg   P7310009.jpg   P7310011.jpg  

July has been a bust painting wise, too much work and too many family commitments.

August not looking much better

July work in paper, plastic, resin or lead?! Zero!
    But August!? August I'll take my wings to the fly!!