Ares Games

Thread: How many "Sopwith" camels in a herd?

Default How many "Sopwith" camels in a herd?

In my case that would be ten. Three original WoW, followed by all seven of Prudenzio's paper model camels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2862.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	52320

Name:	IMG_2864.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	52321

Took me quite a while to finish these off, along with the transport/storage boxes I've been making. Still, when you spend that much time making a model, you want to protect it AND show it off.

So here they are, boxed up and ready to go or show.

Name:	IMG_2867.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	52322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2868.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	52323

I actually have four more paper models, duplicates of the ones shown. The reason being, when I do small models like this I try to take into consideration my own thumb-fingerdness. So I start two of each one. If I'm lucky, I wind up with two copies of the same model, and I'll trade/sell the extra. If not, I may have only screwed one of the models up and I can finish up the remainder. As it is, I wound up with four extras.

Name:	IMG_2870.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	52324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2871.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	52325

Anyone need a camel or two?

Oh, by the way, the "pegs" on the flight stands were something I came up with in the face of the peg crisis. They work fairly well and weren't that hard to make.

Pat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2854.jpg  

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Sean
    Sorties Flown

I can't tell the original from the card versions!

They look absolutely brilliant

Superb show old chap, especially in that set of display boxes you have stacked up to form a cabinet.
    Rob.

Very nice Patrick, it is difficult to see which are paper, until you look at the bases.
    Well done

Glorious!!! (Origami rules OK.;-))

Thumbs up

They look fantastic!
    So you have a few Flights from various Naval Squadrons plus some individual ones.
    That should keep the Hun busy on your part of the Front.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Alexandre
    Sorties Flown

The models look great, but those display cages are genius!

Great to see all those Camels. Love the display boxes!

/Niclas

gb030104

those are beautiful, my compliments

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian Wetzel
    Sorties Flown

Well done sir. Can't tell the difference. And the display cases are spectacular.

Great! The paper models look the same as the Nexus models! A link wouldn't hurt...
    Thanks

Nick

Nicolas,

Where to get the paper models: Zio Prudenzio

The artist that produced the paper models has recently passed away, so this is all the models we will likely see from this source. The web site may disappear without notice, too.

For how much fun I had building one, see this thread: My 1st Project

There are a few threads for Zio's models, and all have good tips and warnings. I have done four so far, with more on the way (some day).

The thread I used to get started: How-To - Card Models
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thanks Mike, and sorry to hear that, I feel a little embarassed for mentioned it... Sorry, but thanks for the link, hopefully i'll make some.
    Thanks

Nick

A nice flight!
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by pstapleton53 View Post
    , when I do small models like this I try to take into consideration my own thumb-fingerdness.
    What thumb-fingeredness? Those, Sir, are amazing!

Lovely planes,original and card. Could you show us how you:

a. Made your display boxes
    b. Made the flight stands

Please?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by AlgyLacey View Post
    What thumb-fingeredness? Those, Sir, are amazing!
    Yes indeed Dave.
    I also wish I had thumbs like that!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Just started my Night Fighter Camel. The result is good... Until now. I will continue tomorrow. I tried an Albatross D.V before tha Sopwith and the result was terrible. Maybe is because i am listening Foo Fighters now and i wasn't with the D.V... Who knows
    Thanks

Nick

The flight stands were purchased from the Aerodrome store here. The pegs (risers) were cut from acrylic rod to a proper height, drilled out and with connecting pegs made from toothpicks. The display boxes I made I described in the thread:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...916#post153916

For a while a different design, laser cut, was available at the Aerodrome store as well. I don't see them listed anywhere right now though.

Thank you all for your compliments on these!

Pat

I think you're just pulling our lariats. I can't tell them apart - if anything they look even better than the production planes. Great job!

Mat

Wow! What a fantastic effort, you have inspired me to have a crack at an SE5a. I will be sure to check out the how to thread.

Forgive me for the following question, it is not an easy one to word but here goes:
    Is it still appropriate to donate a few dollars for the author/artist of the cards and if so should it be done via the website? I feel a bit rough just pinching the designs without paying a fee.
    I hope that came across with the appropriate amount of respect, at times it can be tricky to convey the correct emotion when writing a question as opposed to asking it in person.

Mathew, I really don't know if it still okay to donate the way it stands in Zio Prudenzio website. You may send first an email.
    I don't know if you're aware that Zio passed away some months ago. I've donated in the past, when he was alive. You better ask first. I think that someone is taking care of his site.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Mathew, I really don't know if it still okay to donate the way it stands in Zio Prudenzio website. You may send first an email.
    I don't know if you're aware that Zio passed away some months ago. I've donated in the past, when he was alive. You better ask first. I think that someone is taking care of his site.
    Yes, thanks. That is the reason I wanted to check first. I will try emailing, thanks again.

Started my BF-109 yesterday in hard paper. But... The paper is so hard i cant fold it....

Quote Originally Posted by Barkmann View Post
    Started my BF-109 yesterday in hard paper. But... The paper is so hard i cant fold it....
    Nick, what's the weight of the paper?
    If you use an old roller point pen without ink, you can score first the paper and then it will be much easier to forld it.

I could never build paper models. Yours sure do look great.

Give it a try John. Im sure you can build marvelous models!

Everyone, thank you for your kind comments, and a thank you to those who answered questions! I am not dead, just overwhelmed with work.

Pat