Ares Games

View Poll Results: How often are you looking for more 'supplies'?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once a month.

24 18.18%
  • Once a week.

28 21.21%
  • Twice a week.

14 10.61%
  • Once a day.

22 16.67%
  • I need an intervention.

44 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding your addiction

Default Feeding your addiction

A few current threads have prompted me to wonder about the level of addiction we all have... so, just for fun, how often are you shopping or even 'just looking' for more materials for your gaming problem? All online and offline activity should be counted!

Quote Originally Posted by Grinneth42 View Post
    All online and offline activity should be counted!
    Wait, does browsing this forum for new release information count? I think I know how the poll will skew...

Hi, my name is Brian and have an addiction problem......

If you measured the addiction by how often we come to this site... then I'm addicted!

As for looking for supplies or gaming aids... I'm one of those who buys everything, all at one time. I don't piece mill my gaming needs. When a new series is released, I buy all 12 planes in one purchase. When it looks as though I need flight stands or altitude markers from Litko... I buy enough for not just a few planes, but for all that I own.

Fortunately we have a good lead on release dates for upcoming products, so I don't have to actively look for anything I may not yet have.

Users Country Flag

Name
    allen
    Sorties Flown

agree.....i'm always scanning this site for news on products and their release dates, plus info and ideas for upcoming games...well that settles it ....i'm addicted to this game

Hello, My name is Aaron and I like to play with little toy airplanes.....

Just returned fro the LGS with a new UFAG.

My wife says I need help. HELP.... But its so much fun.

Tom

Default Feeding the WoW habit...

My name is Carl and I am a confirmed Wings of War addict.

In just over twelve months I have purchased every WoW product released to date, in the case of the miniatures more than one of each.

In the dry patches between releases I am forced to feed the habit by picking up non-WoW miniatures, decals and stands, and researching and generating stats for unofficial aircraft.

I even started a local face-to-face campaign to generate more play opportunities, which has blown out from a dozen to more than 100 players.

This year I will be running WoW conventions in three cities in SE Queensland.

Perhaps obsession is not too strong a term after all!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    My name is Carl and I am a confirmed Wings of War addict.

In just over twelve months I have purchased every WoW product released to date, in the case of the miniatures more than one of each.

In the dry patches between releases I am forced to feed the habit by picking up non-WoW miniatures, decals and stands, and researching and generating stats for unofficial aircraft.

I even started a local face-to-face campaign to generate more play opportunities, which has blown out from a dozen to more than 100 players.

This year I will be running WoW conventions in three cities in SE Queensland.

Perhaps obsession is not too strong a term after all!
    Carl-
    I just wanted to say thank you... after reading your response, I realized that I'm not an addict at all! And to celebrate, I went out and bought myself a few things...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andre
    Sorties Flown

Wink

Two questions

Does coming to this site so you don't have time to go looking for new things to buy count

And

Does looking for the right plane as Birthday gift for my son (turning 11 soon) count. And im sure you will all agree that it makes sense to sort all WOW things one place. The trays are foam lined after all.

Andre

Umm, does starting and running a Wings of War site count???

Default Admin time counts

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Umm, does starting and running a Wings of War site count???
    I would imagine running this website would be fairly absorbing!

The ironic thing is that since our BrisWingsofWar Western Front campaign has really taken off I spend more time compiling other players' mission stats and planning events than I do actually playing the game.

Time to train some apprentice campaign coordinators!

Cheers,

Carl.

Yeah, I spent a lot of time doing that as well for our local campaign... can't imagine doing it for a group the size of yours. Oh wait, I'll be doing it for the World Wide campaign of KotA! But I've got technology on my side this time!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Yeah, I spent a lot of time doing that as well for our local campaign... can't imagine doing it for a group the size of yours. Oh wait, I'll be doing it for the World Wide campaign of KotA! But I've got technology on my side this time!
    I'm afraid MS excel is about the limit of my experience.

Good luck with KOTA!

I take my airfleet quite often, usually once a week, out from the storage boxes and begin to think that would there be some planes I want to get "just for fun". In the end, I purchase new planes with a rate of one plane a month. It all has to happen behind my girlfriend's back (otherwise I'm really honest!) because she likes to remind me about my incomes... and as a student, I don't have much time to work. But as I ponder with my local dealer, the passion requires sacrifises.

Name
    Jesús
    Sorties Flown

I need an intervention...

I started two weeks ago... and nowadays I have all the WWII planes, I'm thinking about to play WWI, bought some aviation books...

I need more planes.

Users Country Flag

Name
    allen
    Sorties Flown

i need more planes......need set 4 to curb my addiction...it may be a long winter

My wife say I am a wargames adict, my psychatrist say it is diversion therapy I go with what my psyc says, even though when I cannot sleep at 3am in the morning I will get up and paint figures till dawn.

I posted "once a month", just because of finances. If it weren't for that, .. well,,,the sky would be the limit.

Allways looking for new stuff...but when it comes to buying stuff: once or twice a month.

I bought everything I'm going to buy... right? Oh wait, what if I want to fly pairs of planes? How can I make my poor players shares decks? I guess I need another dogfight and another another top fighters pack... after all, nobody else buys them, they all have minis.

I just bought EVERY SINGLE SET out there that was just cards for WW1. Famous Aces, Watch your Back, Burning Drachens, Top Fighters, Dogfight, Recon Patrol, and Immelman. Now I'm waiting for Flight of the Giants and the Brisfit pack. I have an Access database with all the planes stats in it, including a tentative points level value for each statistic - maneuver deck, guns, and damage points. I haven't yet measured each firing arc of the two-seaters in order to properly compare the difference between a Roland and a Ufag, but someday I'll own a protractor.

I have a word document on my desktop with campaign rules so that if I think of a mission or anything I can access it quickly.

I just keep repeating to myself - you don't own any minis, you're okay... but I know it's coming. It's coming because I want to play altitude rules. Because I want to show my kids how cool it is. And because I'm addicted.

I "browse" the internet daily for future purchases but sadly my glory days of buying what I want when I want have been dampened by the current "economic slump". All is not lost though, since I already had everything available associated with WoW and DoW before I felt the pinch of the weak economy, I have plenty of stuff to keep our spirits up until things pick back up. Then there will be plenty of new stuff to buy!

Couldn't say: I bought all the minis I needed some months ago. Now I'm waiting for the next releases.
    In the immediate future I plan to buy Flight of the Giants as soon as it's on the shelves, as well as a couple of Se.5a and Klein's Pfalz D.III.
    Luckily I play only WoW, not DoW, so I'm only half addicted, thought I have to admit that the Junkers Ju 87 Stuka are really tempting....

Im looking forward to the SE-5a and The Stuka also...........BUT WHERE ARE THEY!?!?

I waited for the WWII stuff and now I cant wait to get all the WWI stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Propjockey53 View Post
    Im looking forward to the SE-5a and The Stuka also...........BUT WHERE ARE THEY!?!?
    Jeff they're in the sun... and will be on you before you know it !!

I don't buy all of the releases just the ones I like - mainly that's down to cost ( it seems we pay in pounds what the rest of the world pays in US Dollars and Euros - robbed again!) but I still have 19 kites in the barn though and more will be added on the next release as I just earnt some easy money !!
    I may get into some repaints soon to rectify the lack of British Aces represented - I have previously admitted that I repainted The Barons tripe into a brighter blood red as the model I received was very very dull (and I don't care if that was the wrong thing to do !) Its a more arterial red than venal now !
    Last edited by flash; 06-16-2010 at 01:19.

"He is wise who watches"

"once a week" for me: when i can i connect to the forum "to stay in touch" with all last rumors or news about the game.

for shopping i would say "once in a month or more".it depends how much wow planes i find in the shop.
    Last edited by Olt^Jones; 08-04-2010 at 13:08.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Troy
    Sorties Flown

I will admit that I am addicted as well. Having lost my mind and purchased each box set and booster pack, as well as complete series 1, 2 and 3 minis for WWI and have a standing order with my local gaming shop to supply a complete set for all future series mini releases, I have to say I am hopelessly addicted. But at least with this form of addiction I have something to show for all the money I have spent, unlike a lot of other vices I could name.

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

I have three brushed aluminum cases with locks on them, one of which is full with series 1, 2 and 3. The other two are ready for series 4, 5 and the duplicates I have found. (poor little guys get lonely on the stand by themselves. I have to bring them home. My little precious..) I wake up in the middle of the night panicked that I have lost the key. I have to get up and climb into the back of the closet with a flashlight and check.....Wait, was I just supposed to say my name is Erin and I have an addiction?

Blimey! And I thought I was obsessive. Some of you guys make me feel like an amateur. I was doing ok for a while ‘till I ran across WoW. I kid myself that I’ve been ‘good’ because I haven’t bought any WoW product lately whilst conveniently ignoring the heap of recently purchased WW1/RFC related books, the 1/48 scale Nieuport 11/16/17’s, Hanriot HD1 and 1:28 Spad XIII kits, the F-Toy biplanes... it just goes on. Obsession seems to ebb and flow but it never stops. I’m sure its a mild form of some or other ‘disorder’. Is anyone else out there beginning to suspect that they’re a bit ’faulty’ in the noggin too?

I voted "once a week" in the poll but Hunter and I own nearly every WWI miniature and a handful of the WWII's. On top of that we have the game mats, a bunch of the Col's accesories (flight stands, propeller rulers, flame and smoke damage) and are anxiously awaiting the carry cases. I'm on the website here at least twice a day, but really only check for new stuff once a week. I'd shop for stuff more often but there's not that much we still need and we gotta keep spending under control.

I'm going to take the easy way out and blame Hunter. He's the one with the problem! Yeah, right . . .

Scott

Just bought Battles of Napoleon. With shipping it came close to 80USD. So what did I do....bought 4 more minis so the shipping would be gratis. It was like getting 2 planes for free. I think that sums it up.

2 reasons we don't shop much. #1:We only use WWI #2:we only use things associated with minis. Needless to say, all we wait for is pretty much the WWI mini serises. However we do check about once a week (hence my vote)
    incase something comes out that we haven't heard about

Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    Just bought Battles of Napoleon. With shipping it came close to 80USD. So what did I do....bought 4 more minis so the shipping would be gratis. It was like getting 2 planes for free. I think that sums it up.
    Pure gamer logic.

I have taken to standing on a busy corner with a cardboard sign "WILL WORK FOR WOW MINIS."

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBarkerVC View Post
    Pure gamer logic.
    I thought I would find someone who could appreciate the finer workings of my mind

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    I thought I would find someone who could appreciate the finer workings of my mind
    Willi, for that you need a Swiss watchmaker called Freud, or is that Fred?
    On the question of addiction, I have non. I am a compulsive obsessive.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I'm getting itchy again. Does anyone have a date for the US release of series 4 and the new deluxe set ?

I've just very roughly worked out that I'm spending about eight times more on peripheral stuff (books, model kits etc.) than I'm spending on official WoW gear. Does this always happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cundall View Post
    I've just very roughly worked out that I'm spending about eight times more on peripheral stuff (books, model kits etc.) than I'm spending on official WoW gear. Does this always happen?
    Only most of the time Tom.
    Rob.

Oh great. Thanks for that Rob.

Oh great. Thanks for that Rob.
    It is not really all that bad Tom. Once you have the peripherals and the new sets hit the shops, you will find that the pendulum swings towards the aeroplanes again.
    The only thing that I can't stop draining my resources is books.
    Rob.

Wink

I was going to try to redress the balance a bit (well, the wife’s birthday’s coming up so I might as well spoil her. “It’s a flight of Sopwith Snipes pet. They’ll look reet grand on the mantelpiece they will”).

I was going to try to redress the balance a bit (well, the wife’s birthday’s coming up so I might as well spoil her. “It’s a flight of Sopwith Snipes pet. They’ll look reet grand on the mantelpiece they will”).
    How about putting them on the wall like flying ducks Tom.
    Rob.

Nice idea Rob. What do you think to three Revell 1/28 Spad XIII's? Model Zone were doing them for about Ł6.99 a pop last time I looked. (And yes I did buy one.) That should go down like, well, a Burning Drachen with the missus. (She's an absolute sweetheart really.)

Nice idea Rob. What do you think to three Revell 1/28 Spad XIII's? Model Zone were doing them for about Ł6.99 a pop last time I looked. (And yes I did buy one.) That should go down like, well, a Burning Drachen with the missus. (She's an absolute sweetheart really.)
    We already sorted that one out on another thread Tom. Get your good lady a pink one of her own.
    While we were up in Coldstream, we went into the local Army surplus. Down in the old cellar he had an A.R.P. listening post all jigged out, and on the wall were three plaster flying Adolph Hitlers, doing the Heil! Looked just like Superman with a mustache. Never seen them before, and had to take my friend in the next day just to prove it was real.
    Rob.

Two flying Hitlers I could understand, but three is just weird.

Wow this is an old poll , but it just popped up in the what's new section... I feed my addiction monthly... but the problem is starting to become how much I actually spend each month!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I voted once a month, but truely my buying is implusive and sporatic. Last week I picked up an order for 3 more Pfalz DIII (I liked some of the paint schemes in the Osprey book, and wanted more for repainting), and 4 DH4s and 3 Brequets in American colours (repainting for a big bombing raid senerio). Given that the work area isn't done yet (but we have a plan, and will get it done by Spring), I have a hell of a lot of repainting lined up.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Hmm let's see I joined this forum on 12-22 and I had just gotten famous aces in the mail. Now I have FA, WYB, BD, FoTG, all the booster packs, one plane in hand, seven planes and an extra copy of FA on the way in the mail and as soon as my "spending allowance" gets put into my play account at midnight I'll be ordering the deluxe boxed set and a few other choice minins.

BTW I still have that Baracca spad XIII to trade

I'Ve got no problem... but I am in denial according to my wife

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast