Ares Games

Thread: Wings of Glory - Shoot at the Real Thing?

Default Wings of Glory - Shoot at the Real Thing?

Am I missing something, or is the "Shoot at the Real Thing!" optional rule missing from the Wings of Glory rulebook? It seems like an obvious one from the old rulebooks that should have been included in the new ones.

Yes, I know we can choose to play with it anyway as a "house rule", but I like to follow the actual rules when playing games, unless there is a critical problem with the rules that needs a house rule to make the game playable.

I think it is more interesting to play with the, "Shoot at the Real Thing!" variant.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

What are you referring to? No offense intended, I'm not familiar with what "Shoot the Real Thing!" is meaning. Of course, I may have been at to high an altitude and anoxia has set in.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

Shoot at the real thing simply states that you don't measure to the base or card but rather the model or picture of the plane itself. It gives it a new dimension to the game. Something like a Yak-1 gets a small advantage and the KaiD gets easier to hit.

I must say that having tried all three methods of shooting, I prefer the peg to base method personally.
    Rob.

Smile

Yes we always measure Peg to Base.

We are peg to base here too

Mike - it may be due to the introduction of bombers, as the aircraft & wingspan get bigger a fighter may be able to engage with impunity by nibbling at the fringes of its target whilst out of range of the targets defences
    I'm in a minority now in that I play peg to peg firing - I have tried the other methods but find this preferable.

There are other threads out there regarding 'shoot the real thing', some almost as old as the forum itself!

Here's a poll: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ght=real+thing

and a 2010 thread: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ght=real+thing

I have always fired peg to base, and now that we have bombers which should be bigger targets I feel it is even more appropriate.

Cheers,

Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I'm in a minority now in that I play peg to peg firing - I have tried the other methods but find this preferable.
    I thought I was the only one -- since pilots were trained to shoot "center of mass", it seems reasonable to use peg-to-peg.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Okay, gotcha, I know what you meant, now. We are peg to base here, as well, always.

If you choose to "shoot at the real thing" are you also measuring from the actual weapons mount as well, from the peg or from the front of the base?

Peg to base seems to offer the most realism to me...

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I thought I was the only one -- since pilots were trained to shoot "center of mass", it seems reasonable to use peg-to-peg.
    Not many of us about these days Chris - happily most of my local players also play it peg to peg

The way I look at it is that in flight pilots may have many opportunities to engage the enemy. It is a limitation of the game that you can only shoot at the end of the move, but that does not take into account a kick of the rudder in the intervening period that may have given an opportunity to fire on your opponent.

As I stated before, the fact that the game designers gave bombers larger bases is an indication of the role of the base in the process.

We have been playing slightly differently that if the firing arch crosses any part of the targets stand then you can fire the reasoning behind this is that the planes are moving and this allows for deflection shooting. But there again peg to peg sound reasonable.

the fact that the game designers gave bombers larger bases is an indication of the role of the base in the process.
    That and stopping the things toppling over on the tabletop

Peg to base in Avon
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 07-15-2012 at 18:38.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Not many of us about these days Chris - happily most of my local players also play it peg to peg :thumbsup:
    One other useful feature of peg-to-peg: It's that much harder for two-seaters to deal with flanking attacks. so we don't get the "two-seaters are impossible to take down without special rules" whining. >:)

Excellent discussion! Thanks for all of the feedback!!

I think that this rule "Shoot at the Real Thing" is used only with cards, not minis. While Wings of Glory doesn't offer card version - they probably gave up this rule

And we use this rule, because we play only with cards. We meassure 'peg to airplane' - it adds some realism in my opinion

We use peg to the real thing, with minis - Possibly not realistic, or even strictly by the rules, but more fun (I think). Also, I have the feeling that it sort of gives the fighters that appropriate slight edge for being nimble and having a larger target when going up against bombers. To muddle things just a bit, we let the bombers shoot from the gun dot instead of the peg.

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by nillu View Post
    I think that this rule "Shoot at the Real Thing" is used only with cards, not minis. While Wings of Glory doesn't offer card version - they probably gave up this rule

And we use this rule, because we play only with cards. We meassure 'peg to airplane' - it adds some realism in my opinion
    I believe you may have nailed this one on the head! I also like the earlier explanation about using the bases for targeting and the relative size of the minis, especially when considering the large bombers (i.e. gothas, capronis, etc.).

I thought with the cards was the RED dot which is the peg position. But my friend and I use base to base. I guess its what you like and agree on for all the players.

We've been using peg to peg.

we measure center of plane to other plane in the games we play.

We originally played Peg to Peg and then someone actually read the rules and examples illustrations. Peg to Base has been used ever since. Shoot at the real thing is almost impossible to use. You have to glue the plane to all the pegs, to keep the planes on the correct card facing!

Rich

Our whole approach is a bit different I guess - Less exact, more fun.
    When you have the minis, it's seems more intuitive to shoot at the actual mini. It may not be all that accurate, but it evens out in the end.

But I'm clearly in a minority, so I won't go on about it anymore.

Cheers!
    /Niclas