Ares Games

Thread: Attack at Devizes 21/22 July 2012

Default Attack at Devizes 21/22 July 2012

Is anyone planning to attend this show.
    I know its short notice but there are usually plenty of tables available so it might be able to set up a WOW game for a day.
    If anyone is interested let me know and I will follow it up.
    Don

Sorry Don, can't make that one I'm afraid. We will be at Fort Paul during that weekend.
    Rob.

We are back from holidays that weekend. I think I would be able to make one day, at least for some of the time after pony duties have been completed

I am off shift for that one so I may be available for one day, which day you thinking off ?

I am available both days that weekend, what dates suite guys.
    Don

Got my leave pass for eithewr day, just let me know and Ill turn up for a game, never been before

Have sent an email and received an acknowledgement.
    Will let you know when I receive any further details.
    Don

Have been advised by SWMBO that Saturday would probably be the better day. That said, its all negotiable and Sunday would work out fine if that was better for others.

My 1st posting in the British Army was to Devizes (20 Mdm Regt RA), is the model shop that was there in 1973 still there?

We are on for Attack at Devizes.
    Dave said Saturday 21 July was the better day for him so I will book the Saturday if that's OK.
    What size table shall we have I think something like 4' x 6' though I've got a 4' x 4' Western Front Terrainmat and I think Chris has too, which make 8' x 4' side by side.
    Has anyone got any promotional literature etc.
    Please let me know your thoughts.
    Don
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    My 1st posting in the British Army was to Devizes (20 Mdm Regt RA), is the model shop that was there in 1973 still there?
    Was it 'Keep Wargaming' I think the shop has gone now and it is only an on-line shop now.
    Don

I have booked a table at Attack in Devizes on Saturday 21 July for a Wings of War/Glory game/display for anyone that would like to join in.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    I have booked a table at Attack in Devizes on Saturday 21 July for a Wings of War/Glory game/display for anyone that would like to join in.
    Don
    Don.
    If you let me know after the event who participates and in what role, I will arrange medals for them with the Herr Oberst.
    Rob.

Are we doing a display or participation game here?
    Icanbring either official mats or my terrain map just let me know

Chris
    I thought we could set it up and play a few games but if anyone wanted to join in we could open it up.
    At Exeter a few weeks ago it was mostly existing players but a number of other people joined in during the day at various times.
    I am taking my 4' x 4' terrain mat so if we put them side by side we could have quite a large playing area.
    Don

I'd be up for running it as a participation game, but of course with us filling in seats as well. Laura and I will both be coming along. Let me know what you'd like me to bring. It sounds like we are sorted for mats. Do we want to try a seaplane session as well? If so I will bring a blue cloth, the Felixstowe, Hansa Brandenbergs and the CMBs. Do we want a display of models as well?

Hopefully there will be good news that we can give participants regarding availability of official models

I was hoping to gather a few other punters to join in but of course with the regulars flying as well.
    A seaplane session sounds a good idea so bring along your blue cloth etc.
    Bring along anything else that you might think is useful.
    Don

Hi chaps.
    This looks interesting, and I'd be keen on turning up and learning from some experts (just joined the site and am an utter rookie to WoW, although not to gaming). Not 100% sure I can be free yet though, plans around that date are a bit fluid.

Will look up the event when I get back and am on a 'proper' computer. Is it in the barracks, or somewhere else in Devizes?

Chaps is it better to get there by car or train? I see the organisers say car park available on First come basis, is there other parking available near by, sorry but never been to Devizes

Drive. the railway line was taken up years ago. The railway tunnel is now, IIRC a shooting range

From what I remember from last year there is plenty of parking around the school and on the netball court. Unfortunately I think it would be too complicated to work out coordinated lifts with me and Laura - we will be seeing to the pony first thing, heading straight over to the show from there and then departing from the show directly back to the stables.

On the plus side we should have some interesting new toys to play with

Cheers Dave, look forward to it

Hi Alex
    Welcome to the drome.
    Look forward to meeting up at Devizes if you can make it.
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by Prodromoi View Post
    Hi chaps.
    This looks interesting, and I'd be keen on turning up and learning from some experts (just joined the site and am an utter rookie to WoW, although not to gaming). Not 100% sure I can be free yet though, plans around that date are a bit fluid.

Will look up the event when I get back and am on a 'proper' computer. Is it in the barracks, or somewhere else in Devizes?

Thanks for the link. I've pencilled the 21st into the diary, and hopefully we'll be able to make it - should be able to.

I couldn't find a couple of details on the Attack webpage though; any idea what time it starts and finishes on Saturday? And while I can see the entrance fees for competitors/teams, does anyone know whether there's an admission fee for 'punters', and if so, how much?

Sorry don't know either start times or entrance fees, couldn't find anything on the website.
    I have sent an e-mail for the information.
    I will be trying to get there between 9-9.30
    At least setting up time isn't too long.
    Don

The show opens to the public at 10:00 so I will try and get there about 9:45 to find our table etc.

What format we doing for the games?
    Early, mid & late, or types SE5a v DVII, dr1 v camels , tripes v DVa?
    I can supply cockpits & play sheets, I'll also bring some business cards, unfortunately the certificates all say triples.
    Not got any poster though

I thought we would be flexible and try out a number of different games
    (that means I haven't planned any specific games)
    I will be taking mainly Nexus planes so mid to late war.
    I will bring along my HP 0/400 and a target if we decide on a bomber run we can have one.
    Dave did say he would like to do a seaplane game as well so I will bring my HB W29 and maybe something else as well
    Bring anything along that you fancy a game with.
    Sorry to be vague.
    Don

I will bring all my stuff along so we can set up a display if we wish. I will also have one of those nifty "Snoopy" WW1 flying ace kennels that were shown here a week or so back.

See you on Saturday Dave and any one else that is coming as well
    Dave I know you're a man for all things naval, have you got a submarine, if so could you bring it along?
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I will bring all my stuff along so we can set up a display if we wish. I will also have one of those nifty "Snoopy" WW1 flying ace kennels that were shown here a week or so back.

It's still looking like I'll be up for coming along on Saturday. Aiming to arrive fairly early. I've stuck a photo into my profile so people might recognise me; plus my partner will probably be there too, and I doubt there'll be many other people there with purple hair!

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromoi View Post
    It's still looking like I'll be up for coming along on Saturday. Aiming to arrive fairly early. I've stuck a photo into my profile so people might recognise me; plus my partner will probably be there too, and I doubt there'll be many other people there with purple hair!
    Have you had purple hair for long Alex, or is it hereditary?
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Have you had purple hair for long Alex, or is it hereditary?
    Kyte.

Is this purple hair compulsory? I ain't got much hair left but I'll dye if new regs require I suppose

See youSat Alex

You should be easy to spot then
    See you on Saturday

Have received an e-mail about Attack

"Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, we will be at the school from about 0730 to set up for traders so can accept demo games etc from the same time. A max of 4 free entries for those involved in demo games"

I shall try and get there about 9:00-9:15, the 4 free entries would be for the people who have said they will be there Boney10, Dave Manley, Prodromoi and me, don't know how it works just tell them at the door that your in a demo game I guess.
    Don

We may struggle to get there that early, we cant get away from Clevedon until about 0830. But we should be there before the start. Alas no submarine, not in a useable scale anyway. It's been on my "to buy" list for a while but I've not got around to it yet

I intended to leave around 07:30 which should mean arriving around 08:30 so see you there for set up and bacon butties

You will get there before me Chris I doubt if I can get there before 9:00.

No worries about the sub Dave.

Looking forward to an enjoyable days flying

I am bringing along a secret weapon, it might be rubbish but its still a secret weapon

See you on Saturday.

Don

Don, Chris, David...

Thanks very much for your hospitality and patience answering numerous questions. Great meeting you chaps. Much obliged for letting me take part in the games; I feel my performance peaked with the first sortie and rather went downhill from there though!

I did mean to ask during the day, but forgot/got distracted/etc. Did it cost to hire the table? I'll happily chip in.

Thanks again.
    Alex