Ares Games

Thread: Be2c with teeth!

Default Be2c with teeth!

Hello everyone,

This is one of Batesyboy's Be2cs, with a bit of add-ons of my own. I modified the wings a bit to fit pics I saw of some armed Be2cs, and created a mount (too large in retrospect) to fit a Lewis gun from a Kampfflieger plane. I wanted my Be2cs to be able to fight back, if only a little bit. Nice plane from Batesyboy of an important aircraft, one that will hopefully soon face some Ares Fokker EIIIs.

Doug

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0716.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	51303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0718.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	51304Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0719.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	51305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0720.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	51306

Wow, that looks impressive! Nicely made mate!

RoV

Very well produced aircraft Douglas.
    I always marvel at the way you chaps manage to produce such crisp models from a piece of card.
    Rob.

I am really impressed what you can do with card
    I have a multimedia Freidrichshafen G-III from Reviresco that has been waiting over a year to finish.
    How strong are these for gaming purposes.
    Don

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I always marvel at the way you chaps manage to produce such crisp models from a piece of card.
    Rob.
    Yeah, me too!

Doug,

Great build.

Welcome to the exalted ranks of the master card builders.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    I am really impressed what you can do with card
    I have a multimedia Freidrichshafen G-III from Reviresco that has been waiting over a year to finish.
    How strong are these for gaming purposes.
    Don
    There was a discussion of the merits of card models vs. other medias here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...s-down-to-this

Basically, the card models do not do well if they get wet (spilled drink).
    However, if dropped (without a heavy base) they will survive the fall.
    They are good for gaming if handled carefully but might not survive being handled by preteens.
    Not sure that the Nexus models will survive being handled by preteens.
    The card models can be strengthened by placing a cardboard strip in the wings, painting the wing struts with superglue, and using a glue gun to fill the fuselage with hot glue.
    I have not personally tried the glue gun trick.

Ken
    Last edited by Zakopious; 06-30-2012 at 09:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
    They are good for gaming if handled carefully but might not survive being handled by preteens.
    Not sure that the Nexus models will survive being handled by preteens.
    I'm not sure ANYTHING will survive being handled by pre-teens unless it's the 99p packets of green plastic soldiers that the local cheap shop knock out.

Kids! (bless 'em) - toothmarks, bits broken off, models stood on or left in the garden to be munched by an unsuspecting lawn mower ("but it's YOUR lawn mower Daddy, how can it be MY fault!?").....

Thanks for all the kind comments. It helps that Batesyboy designed a nice plane, half the work is done for you! I am also extremely slow in my builds. I have not introduced any card models onto the table yet, but I bet my eight year old would be okay with them. My four year old, not so much, who did what eighty others could not and managed to knock the rotary engine off my Nexus Red Baron's tripe. Oh well.

My hats are off to you guys who do the metal and Shapesway planes. I could not mask and paint in our scale, and decals have never been my friend. Ken, I wish I could produce models with the quantity and quality you do. Mine are slow and steady, so far I average two a year, but hope to slowly boost production. Having a newborn in the house last fall did not help!

Doug

Doug,

Your pictures show that your model quality surpasses mine.

Having three active children in the house will reduce your modeling time but in a good way.

Start teaching that eight year old how to build simple card models like the Fiddler's Green outhouse which is always good for a laugh.

In a couple of years, he will be able to help you build the WW I planes and your total output will increase.

See: http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/...ngs/Privy.html

Ken

Good idea, Ken. The eight year old regularly shoots me down, I think I will start her with something a bit larger scale and then go from there. I could use help with my pitiful output!

Doug

This is a cardmodel that my granddaughter made for an elementary school book report on "The Ice Wizard".
    She was about 12 years old at the time and got an A on the report.
    The ship sailed across the ice on sled runners and was chased by wolves.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crop6.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	51426

Extremely impressive!! Are the wing struts wood or also card? This eye candy is making my eyes hurt. Lovely. Dare I take a look at your albums....

It does the heart proud to see my humble designs elevated to works of art !
    Totally Fab !

Sorry guys, it's been a busy past two weeks, so I had not seen the last two posts.

Kevin, in response to your question they are card as well - double thickness (printed both sides, with white reverse sides glued together, then painted on the edges with acrylic paint). Sometimes my edge painting is not so great, in which case the whole strut gets repainted. I've got a Fokker DVII somewhere else here on the forums, but sadly that's all I've finished in the past year of getting into WOW/WOG. Working on Alb DI that is taking its time. Hopefully I'll get it mostly if not all the way finished over the next two weeks.

Lee, your models are always great, just wish I had more time to build more of them!

Doug

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian Wetzel
    Sorties Flown

The card models look great. I envy the ability you all show in your works. Keep up the great work and keep posting new items.

Brian, thanks for the kind remarks. Can we hope to see you try some on here? There are some great free models to learn on out there. If you are a bit hesitant at trying them smaller, just resize them bigger to get some practice. I myself started on 1/72 scale, and I used to think that they were small!

Doug

Excellent B2c. You really rendered Batsyboy model to a piece of art.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Rob.
    Well done