Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZ Wing Members

Default NZ Wing Members

Hi All
    Thought it would be good if we had a thread where we could introduce ourselves and as a resource for new people to be able to quickly find other gamers in their region.

Who am I
    Linz
    Lindsay
    Dunedin
    Member of the Otago Miniature Tacticans Society. OMTS
    We have about 10 WOW/WOG gamers that game both WW1 & WW2
    I collect and Game Wings of War/ Wings of Glory WW1
    I enjoy scratch building WW1 aircraft from Metal and Plastic.
    See my Albums for photos.
    Happy to help where I can.
    Linz

Max (Alan)
    NFA (No fixed abode)
    Travel around NZ (mostly North Is.)
    Do custom airbrushing and graphic design to make money for food and diesel.
    Play many boardgames (although only carry a dozen at a time) but WoW (both theatres) is a favourite!
    Willing to turn your custom plane into a card (see my albums)... Just PM me and link a top-down pic.

GreyWolf
    Alan
    Te Aroha
    was on here many years ago [was wing commander for a bit as well]
    getting back into the game.
    Still doing shift work,
    enjoy doing many types of hobbies mostly in 6mm scale
    BKC II 6mm Germans & Soviets
    FWC 6mm tech and feral orks
    ACWmaster 6mm Union and Confederate Armies
    Warmaster
    Warmachine Cygnar and Merc Factions
    Tutatis Gaelic football game
    Man O war old sea combat game from Grandma Wendy
    X-Wing stars flight game from Fantasy Flight Games

been Married 12 years have a daughter now 6 and my son who is now 4

Cheers
    GreyWolf

NB: if anyone is doing an order to shapeways please let me know as I want some planes. thx

Monticus

Monticus
    Shane
    Napier
    Wine Country Generals Wargame Club and Jambo Hobbies Club (pretty much the same guys just different gaming days)
    Flat out with work at the moment, but play to many game systems to list, (My name is Shane, and I'm addicted to toy soldiers...... )
    And I blame Greywolf for adding to my addiction by selling me Tutatis teams.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jody
    Sorties Flown

Kiwi_Ace
    Last edited by Kiwi_Ace; 09-22-2012 at 23:17.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jody
    Sorties Flown

Kiwi_Ace
    Jody Nixon
    Formerly Tauranga but now Hamilton
    Intermediate School Teacher
    Big fan of wwi wings of war. wwii is good as well but i prefer wwi.

Games background:
    1985 - 1996: original D&D, Middle Earth, Rolemaster (best ever setting I GM'd was Sanctuary - City of Thieves).
    Formerly a Magic the Gathering player but now into Chess & Board games: esp. Talisman (the game that started it all for me), Cleric's Revenge, Riddle of the Ring (both old out of print games but very fun), also Cyclades (with Hades expansion), Puerto Rico, Age of Empires 3, 7 Wonders (with Leaders expansion) and Hey Thats My Fish!, also Shogun, Axis & Allies and Game of Thrones (the board game). Really excited about the new X-Wing Miniatures game by Fantasy Flight Games.

Wings of War Campaign/Tournament Resume:
    1) In-store wwi Campaign 'Knights of the Air 1916-1918' at Battlezone (Tauranga. 10x pilots aged 12yrs to adult),
    2) After school WOW Club wwi 'Knights of the Air 1917-1918' Campaign (Te Puke. 8x pilots aged 11-12yrs pilots),
    3) 2011 Board Games by the Bay (Tauranga) organized all-on-all 15 pilot dogfight,
    4) 2012 Board Games by the Bay (Tauranga) organized a record breaking dogfight with 20 pilots. Biggest to date.
    5) 2012 Board Games by the Bay (Hamilton) going for another record. aiming for bombing mission that includes 30-40+ pilots.
    Last edited by Kiwi_Ace; 10-02-2012 at 13:16.

Mycenius
    John
    Auckland
    My Gaming Blog: http://wargaming.info
    Member of the Auckland Wargaming Club
    Collect & Play:
    Wings of War/Glory WWI
    Wings of War/Glory WWII
    Sails of Glory
    X-Wing

Been collecting WoW since the start but have played only a couple of WW1 games! Finally got around to signing up here. Have the entire WW2 miniatures collection plus extras, and about 2/3 of the WW1 collection plus extras.
    Last edited by Mycenius; 02-19-2015 at 14:41. Reason: Highlighted Embedded Links

Users Country Flag

Name
    Keith
    Sorties Flown

Keith (TWR)
    Christchurch
    Wings of War (WWI & WWII)
    Sails of Glory

My gaming blog can be found at http://thewargamesroom.wordpress.com

John, you need to get those planes in the air!
    Last edited by twr; 04-14-2015 at 13:02.

burned

Andrew
    Christchurch
    Collect & Play:
    Wings of War/Glory WWI
    Wings of War/Glory WWII
    X-Wing

just starting out at this

Users Country Flag

Name
    Keith
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by burned View Post
    Andrew...just starting out at this
    Hi Andrew,

A group of us play in Christchurch typically in my gaming room. Where are you playing, perhaps at one of the wargames clubs?

Regards,
    Keith

burned

just at home against family, but would like to play someone else

Hi John, Keith and Andrew

Just letting you know we are having a mini tourney at SouthCon on Saturday night of Queens birthday weekend.
    Be great if you could make it.
    Linz

Ps welcome to the Drome

Users Country Flag

Name
    Keith
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Just letting you know we are having a mini tourney at SouthCon on Saturday night of Queens birthday weekend.
    Be great if you could make it.
    Linz
    Thanks for the note, but unfortunately I won't be at Southcon. It's a bit far to travel for an evening

Users Country Flag

Name
    Keith
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by burned View Post
    just at home against family, but would like to play someone else
    Andrew, I have sent you a PM with my email address.

burned

Andrew, I have sent you a PM with my email address.
    hello thanks got it this morning will get in touch
    "SouthCon on Saturday night of Queens birthday weekend" may think about this

Users Country Flag

Name
    Shawn
    Sorties Flown

Hey all,

Just got the Rules and Accessories box on the weekend and getting a couple of planes delivered from Mighty Ape tomorrow so haven't played quite yet! Long time wargamer, Napoleonic's at one point in the very distant past, and then 40K for the last decade, but this game has been tempting me for a long time. Hopefully can convince some of my space faring buddies to try it out =)

Just like to welcome you to the Drome from here in the U.K. Shawn.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Eleihun View Post
    Hey all,

Just got the Rules and Accessories box on the weekend and getting a couple of planes delivered from Mighty Ape tomorrow so haven't played quite yet! Long time wargamer, Napoleonic's at one point in the very distant past, and then 40K for the last decade, but this game has been tempting me for a long time. Hopefully can convince some of my space faring buddies to try it out =)
    G'day Shawn! Welcome to the Forum on behalf of the pilots who fly in NSW over the ditch!

If your mates have any interest in WW1 aero history or just enjoy a great fun game I bet they will get hooked.

Phototropic

Hi
    Pete from Wellington
    Addicted to Wings of War/Glory WWI thanks to a friend
    Malifaux and a small amount of Infinity

DeMouse

Hi I'm Dave from Hikurangi, Northland.
    Just getting back into Wings of Glory WW1
    I also play Flames of War and Black powder.

God afternoon David.
    Welcome back to the Drome after all this time.
    The Squadrons in Blighty wish you all the best.
    I'm sure that you will continue to get a lot from the Drome.
    Fly safe.
    Rob.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, David, from Connecticut!

Hi Guys
    Welcome to the aerodrome.
    You may be aware that in 2016 we are holding NatCon in Dunedin (Easter Weekend) we will be running at least one night of WOG and if there is enough interest a whole day competition. If you can get the word out and let me know numbers that will determine what we do. some other games will be run as 1 or 2 day event over the 3 days so you could game in more than 1 competition
    I am the Event Organiser for NatCon 2016 and president of the Otago Miniature Tacticians Society.
    Linz

Users Country Flag

Name
    Keith
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    You may be aware that in 2016 we are holding NatCon in Dunedin (Easter Weekend) we will be running at least one night of WOG and if there is enough interest a whole day competition.
    Great idea. It will be interesting to see how many people sign up. I'm not aware of any formal public Wings of War events though we manage a good number of regular games in our local group.

Hi Guys,

Sorry I thought I had replied to this thread... anyway.

I'm Sam
    From Auckland
    LOVE WoW/WoG WW2.
    Also love Memoir 44 and other War games.

Hi Everyone,

I've been registered here since'14 and have been checking the threads from time to time and thought I'd Better introduce myself.

I live in the sunny Hawkes Bay and play WOG WW1 with brother in law and solo when time allows otherwise I'm working or flying FSX

Quote Originally Posted by mikelimajuliet View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I've been registered here since'14 and have been checking the threads from time to time and thought I'd Better introduce myself.

I live in the sunny Hawkes Bay and play WOG WW1 with brother in law and solo when time allows otherwise I'm working or flying FSX
    Hiya,
    I've just joined, saw your post & thought I'd say Hi also.
    Name is Philip & I live in Auckland.
    I'm into WW1, & if there are any games going - I'd love to know...
    Cheers

Welcome to the Drome Chaps.
    Although Dear old Blighty is too far for a game, we are running a Solo campaign which you would be most welcome to join in with.
    I'm sure some of your fellow gamers will be along soon to let you know where the action is in NZ.
    Fly safe and watch your six.
    Rob.

Hi Mike & Philip,

I live in Auckland too and now play both WW1 and WW2. Time is quite tight at the moment but in a few months I should be free to occassionally to have a few games.

What area of Auckland are you in Philip? I'm in Blockhouse Bay.

Sam.

Rob - cheers mate!

Sam - Three Kings...so not all that far. Possibly hear from you when you're free. I'm sure I could persuade a friend or 2 to join in...
    I prefer WWI, but have only played once. WWII - have seen, but not even read the rules. Game for almost anything tho.

Cheers one & all. Tally Ho.

idle twitch

Afternoon all.
    New member here.
    Names Darren and I'm in Wellington.
    A friend and I are just waiting on our planes and rules to show up at the moment.

Anyone around Welly playing?

Hi Darren - welcome.
    I'm in Auckland, so that's not going to be much help to you...
    Hope the EQ didn't shake you up too much!

Which period will you be gaming by preference? WW1 or WW2?
    If WW2 - PM me with a mobile number or email address. I have a mate in Welly
    who has a few WW2 planes & may be up for a game.

Cheers
    Philip

idle twitch

Hi Philip.
    Going for ww1 at this stage.
    Got off surprisingly lightly with the quake, had a plastic bottle and a toothbrush fall over. But today I did discover some cracks in the unused chimney, so that may be coming out shortly.

Thanks, Darren

On behalf of the Squadrons based here in Dear old Blighty, welcome to the Drome Darren.
    Glad to hear that your damage was only minor.
    We do have a solo campaign going on, so if you can't find a partner feel free to join in with us.
    Rob.

Hi Kiwis,

Who is still actively using WoW/WoG, and where are you?

I'm in need too a live opponent now and again :-)

Cheers
    Allan, in Blenheim

Users Country Flag

Name
    Keith
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiAce View Post
    Hi Kiwis,
    Who is still actively using WoW/WoG, and where are you?
    I'm in need too a live opponent now and again :-)
    Allan, yes a small group of us are still active in Christchurch, though we don’t get the models out all the time. Our last game was in February...

Kia ora and what ho! Capt Terry Moonbeam here, in my covid bubble of course. Not long up with the reinforcements in the recent Battle of Britain push. Nice to meet you all.

Not terribly good at flying, but I do a lot of landing in small bright burning pieces in Wellyton. All the best to all kiwis out there, and of course to our ocker cousins over the ditch on this Day of Days! 'Special shout out to Evan of RivalSky Games, good sort, nice one mate looking forward to making that Dornier fly!

Cheers!
    Terry
    Capt Moonbeam

Thumbs up

Happy ANZAC Day to all our Kiwi WoG Pilots.
    Hope you are all keeping Safe.
    Do check out the Solo Campaigns we are flying in WW1. Its in the OTT Section. Lots of Fun & helps pass the time in our Lockdown situations.

Cheers from Oz & Baz.

And a happy ANZAC day to you and all Down Under Baz from here in sunny pestiferous Britain.

Rob.

Still a bit haunted by Peter Jackson's WWI museum display in Wellington. Bought this cup in the gift shop, have coffee/tea in it every year as memorial.

Name:  20200425_154056.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  45.7 KB

Name:  20200425_154105.jpg
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  20170828_125628.jpg
Size:  111.5 KB

Mrs Clipper and son enjoy the massive multi-room model of the battle

Name:  20170828_123946.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  123.0 KB

Rest in peace . . .

Hi All

Rhys joining from North Shore, Auckland. Focus is Wings of Glory WW1 with Sopwith Camel, SE.5a, Fokker Dr.I and Albatros D.Va starting off my collection and Halberstadt CL.II on the way. I'm also using a DeepCut Studio Aerial Countryside mat.

I'd also like a Fokker D.VII and Bristol F.2B to build out the late 1917-18 collection but the models seem rare and incredibly difficult to source, for a price I'm willing to pay anyway. Sopwith Snipe and Spad XIII are also potential additions for this period.

I came to Wings of Glory WW1 via Sails of Glory and have a reasonable collection of ships for that game too. I play with my two sons and future plans include attempting solo play (using WoG Solo System app) and moving into the 1916 to early 1917 period with the Airco DH.2, Nieuport 11, Fokker E.III and Albatros D.II, around Christmas. I'll probably also get the DeepCut Studio Aerial Battlefield mat as an alternative to Aerial Countryside at this time.

I look forward to engaging with fellow Kiwi enthusiasts and sharing our enjoyment of Wings of Glory WW1.

Here's a photo of me and my sons relieving lockdown boredom with our first three-way game on the weekend:
    Name:  IMG_3301.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  97.8 KB
    Last edited by Flying_Corpse; 08-24-2021 at 04:10.

Hello Rhys

Welcome from the UK. Dive in and Enjoy. Loads of friendly people on here to answer any of your questions. Have a look at Deep Cuts "No Man's Land" mat - a thing of beauty

Welcome, Rhys, from t'other side of the world - Portland, Oregon.

Welcome from Kentucky, Rhys, to a wonderful game and community of players! That looks like a fun scrimmage with your sons.

You can email custom@deepcutstudio.com and ask Kostas about getting the "Over No Man's Land" mat if it appeals. It was a custom I had them make and they have it on file although it's not on their website.

Name:  over_no_mans_land1.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  118.8 KB

Name:  over_no_mans_land2.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  121.5 KB

Name:  over_no_mans_land4.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  121.9 KB

Good to have you as a pilot at the Drome Rhys.
    Fly safe.
    Rob.

Welcome Rhys from the South West of England. Love playing this game with my sons too when the opportunity arises. So good to see the pic of your game. Enjoy and good luck with your search for more aircraft

(welcoming head bobs) to Rhys from the lizard on the other side of the world.

Be sure to check out the files sections for things like "unofficial" planes, scenarios, house rules, solo games, that sort of thing. And if you're looking to expand, check out the Aerodrome Store, see if Keith has anything left before that goes away. I'd be very cautious and patient with eBay, though, there's an entire thread on the 'drome about how ridiculous that can get. Much better to look at Clipper's thread: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...Clipper-s-List

Kia ora Rhys - looks like you're having fun at Level 4 Lockdown bubble. Excellent!
    As others will attest to, this is an addictive game - so be sure to budget accordingly!
    Have fun!

Terry

Hey Rhys, welcome mate!

I'd pop over for a game with...but, well...you know...

PM me about some planes. I've been thinking of selling some, don't want to - I LOVE THEM ALL!
    But, I just don't use them & I have more than enough. All planes I have have boxes & cards, some
    are m.i.b., some aren't. e.g. I could possibly help with a SPAD & Snipe. Also the Turkish version of
    the EIII (can't remember the name). Prices will be reasonable - especially compared to buying &
    then getting sent from overseas.

Other than that - happy gaming with your kids!

Cheers
    Philip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast