Ares Games

Thread: Tutotial: Adding a picture or Text to a post.

Lightbulb Tutorial: Adding a picture or Text to a post.

G'day All! Herr Oberst has asked me to add a few more items to help new chums utilise all the great tools available on the Forum.
    So if you wish to add a pic or text to your Post you must first click on the "Go Advanced" button down at the bottom of the page on the Right hand side.
    Once you have done that you now have the ability to access all the smilies available & then if you click on the "Manage Attachments" Button below the text box section you can Browse & up load directly from your own photos. No need to use Photobucket etc.
    When you hit the MA Button another Box will appear & you then click on "Upload Picture" & wait for the pic to load & appear.
    Once the photo appears in the lower section you can then upload it to your post or an Album
    ( Instruction on uploading to or Creating an Album will follow soon!)
    Now one bit of advice! To ensure you upload the pic to the correct part of the post you first minimise the Uploading Box which takes you back to your post. Move your cursor to the line where you want to insert the pic then reopen the Manage Attachments box & click on "Insert Inline" which is a button on the bottom Right.
    You can add & upload more than one picture at a time.

Hope this Helps.
    Incidently below the Manage Attachments button is a drop down box which allows you to select how you wish to be notified of replies or if you select "Through my Control Panel" you will not receive any notification.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 07-06-2012 at 18:27.

This is Oberst Hajj posting with flash's account...

Testing image attachment to a thread.

This image was added with the Manage Attachment button.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WGA_Side_A.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	120873

"He is wise who watches"

Default Learning Where and What to Post...

I am flying short sorties gathering valuable reconnaisance information and learning to apply my lessons learned while in-flight.

These Posts were most helpful and I have added to Reputations accordingly. Thank you.

Testing:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PTsPacific005.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	155519

And one more...

Name:	Teasers0031024x768.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	155520

Okay, now off to find where to ask question about Signature blocks and a place to show my models, etc.

FF

Is there a way to re-size a picture, please?

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

OK, thanks for the information about posting pictures.
    Now the hard part.
    I continually try to post pics on my threads. I have read your instructions and have checked the bottom right of my screen when creating a new thread and I only have boxes for "Post Quick Reply" and "Preview Post". I do not have the " Go Advanced" box available. I do however have the "Go Advanced" box when I reply to a thread like this. So, how do you get pictures on a thread without that box? I also find I can upload pictures but it won't let me "Click and Drag" the picture where it needs to be.
    So, I guess my question is how do you get around these problems?

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

I dont think you can start a new thread here but if we use an example from another sub forum:

Attachment 180686

Then you should see:

Attachment 180687

Click on the picture Icon (hovering the mouse over a button will give a hint)

Name:	3.gif 
Views:	147 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	180692

Make sure you select the right Tab, <my computer> to upload an image from your computer, or <url> to choose a file from the web

Navigate to your picture and choose upload.

...and now I think my tutorial perhaps demonstrates that I dont know what I am talking about because it doesnt look right from here!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.gif   Screenshot 2015-11-09 06.42.37.jpg  
    Last edited by Embis; 11-08-2015 at 23:02.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Embis View Post
    I dont think you can start a new thread here but if we use an example from another sub forum:

Attachment 180686

Then you should see:

Attachment 180687

Click on the picture Icon (hovering the mouse over a button will give a hint)

Name:	Screenshot 2015-11-09 06.42.37.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	180689

Make sure you select the right Tab, <my computer> to upload an image from your computer, or <url> to choose a file from the web

Navigate to your picture and choose upload.
    I am not talking about starting a new thread here in this section, I am talking about doing them in the AAR sections of the forums.

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

Well I think the same principles should apply to any sub forum I wonder if it is due to your subscription levell? I think that determines how many images you can post. Other than that perhaps someone else can help. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    ...I do not have the " Go Advanced" box available. I do however have the "Go Advanced" box when I reply to a thread like this. So, how do you get pictures on a thread without that box? I also find I can upload pictures but it won't let me "Click and Drag" the picture where it needs to be.So, I guess my question is how do you get around these problems?
    Hi Dale, when you create a new thread you are effectively in the "Go Advanced" screen, that's why there is no button.
    To add pictures in this screen go to the tool bar and click on the "Attachments" icon - the paper clip - that brings up the manage attachments pop up window. Once you have uploaded your photos you have to click into your thread to where you want to place your image; then re-select the Manage Attachments window.
    Click the box in the bottom right of the photo you want to place in your AAR and drag it into the Attachments box below. Give it a couple of seconds to load and you will see the figure 1 appear in the brackets of the Insert Inline button. Click on that button and your image is added at the point you selected at the beginning.
    Repeat this for all your images. If you want to see how it's looking you can preview the thread then scroll down and carry on. When finished click on the Done button of the Manage Attachments and close it then save the thread.
    Do not take longer than sixty minutes to create an AAR or you'll time out and the earlier images will be lost (Then you have to Edit; Go Advanced & add them again).
    In order to make an AAR quicker to build in the forum I always advise to create it first in a Word doc - you can then take all the time you want, add necessary spaces and notations for photos.
    I would also suggest creating an album as that uploads all the pictures you want to use into the Attachments browser and makes the above process much faster.
    Once these are done cut and paste your AAR from Word into your new thread & add your photos as above....

Now, if you want to add pics to your latest saved AAR, I would first suggest create an album of the pics and when that's done go to your AAR thread, click on: Edit Post, Go Advanced, Attachments and carry on from there.
    Last edited by flash; 11-09-2015 at 02:01.

"He is wise who watches"

The easiest way to get photos into a post/thread is to upload them to one of your profile albums (you have to create these) here on the site. After the photos are uploaded, view them right there in the album. Off to the lower right of the image you want to use (on the image page, not the thumbnail page) is the BB Code, it looks like this:

Simply copy and paste that little bit of code into your post where you want the image to show up and your done.

And here is a Youtube video showing how to do what the guys above were talking about. Be aware the guy in that video briefly shows (on purpose) a nice looking woman he photographed before picking an more appropriate image to use. Nothing really racy, just a heads up to those that might be at work or have the looking over their shoulder. lol

Is there anywhere that I can find a list of commands that can be used to manipulate an image? Example: I sometimes post a photo that I have taken on my phone and the site renders it sideways and I would love to be able to rotate the image 90 degrees.

If you scroll down this thread, you will see what I mean - https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...onkey-business

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    Is there anywhere that I can find a list of commands that can be used to manipulate an image? Example: I sometimes post a photo that I have taken on my phone and the site renders it sideways and I would love to be able to rotate the image 90 degrees.

If you scroll down this thread, you will see what I mean - https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...onkey-business
    Hi Wayne!
    I think the easiest way would be to download from your phone to your home computer & then use a program like Paint to resize or rotate.

Hi Barry, the trouble is that my laptop (a Macbook) shows them all the 'correct' way when I download them from my phone. It seems that there is some meta-data embedded that 'tells' this site that the picture should be displayed on it's side and therefore I need a way to override this.

What do other Mac users do I wonder?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

I'm presuming that when uploading a sequence of photo's such as from a mission, that if you want them to post in the correct order, you have to upload them in reverse order. When I uploaded pictures to an album from a recent mission, they posted in the reverse order that I uploaded them in.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Knowitall View Post
    I'm presuming that when uploading a sequence of photo's such as from a mission, that if you want them to post in the correct order, you have to upload them in reverse order. When I uploaded pictures to an album from a recent mission, they posted in the reverse order that I uploaded them in.

i have yet to accomplish posting them in correct order even when i tried that. ive basically given up on trying and let the pixels fall where they may.

I usually write my AAR in word with #s to note where to insert photos. Copy and paste to the new posting and then add in the photos. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    Hi Barry, the trouble is that my laptop (a Macbook) shows them all the 'correct' way when I download them from my phone. It seems that there is some meta-data embedded that 'tells' this site that the picture should be displayed on it's side and therefore I need a way to override this.

What do other Mac users do I wonder?
    I don’t know, I have the same problem but it inverts my photos that I’ve uploaded directly from my iPhone. And even if I try to “fool” it by flipping the photo before uploading (hoping the site will flip it back to normal), they still show up upside down. Can anyone help with this?

I take pictures for our Gritty Goblin Games AARs with a DSLR camera. They are downloaded to my Macbook Pro, where I resize them using the shareware program Graphic Converter. You might try using that.
    So how many books are in your personal library?