Ares Games

Thread: Another movie question

Default Another movie question

And from the same movie, 'Fly Boys'. The maneuver I seen twice, done by the squadron leader and at the end of movie. When the Nieuport was in the front of a Dr1, and flips over,slips back behind Dr1, flips back and is then behind the Dr1. It looks like a real maneuver, if so, is this used in the game? If not, could it be made into a maneuver used in the game?

Fabric Flyer

It's called the "Flying Scissors" and would be represented by using a stall maneuver. It will work provided your opponent doesn't stall also.
    You've got to remember that each card represents a very small amount of real-time. A maneuver you see a real aircraft do would be represented by several movement cards taking one or more turns.
    And to be honest, "Fly Boys", in my opinion, was making those Nieuports act more like F-16's than a WW1 craft. I mean, Nieuports were maneuverable but I doubt they could have put up with those kind of stresses.
    "Blue Max" would give you better examples of WW1 maneuver.

Jim

Thanks Old Navy, Now I know.Love that maneuver. How about the one when the Squadron leader rips off the top wing of a Dr1 on his tail, with his wheels. I would guess that couldn't happen and still have wheels.
    Thanks for the reply.

Fabric Flyer

Try a loop - requires a slight mod to the Immelman rules.

Reversals:
    Straight-Reversal-Straight - neither gain nor lose a climb marker.
    Stall-Reversal-Straight (or "Split S") - lose a climb marker
    Straight-Reversal-Stall (or "Half loop") - gain a climb marker

Note that a loop is a 2 turn manoeuvre, straight-reversal-stall-reversal-straight.(5 of the 6 cards over 2 turns)

If you don't wish to modify the rules, a downwards loop is doable.
    Stall-reversal(lose climb counter)-straight-reversal(gain climb counter)-straight. In other words, a Split-S followed by an Immelman in 5 cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    If you don't wish to modify the rules, a downwards loop is doable.
    Stall-reversal(lose climb counter)-straight-reversal(gain climb counter)-straight. In other words, a Split-S followed by an Immelman in 5 cards.
    I'd say the downward loop is only for WWII aircraft. You need a LOT of power to do these

What Zoe describes would probably be the best because for the "stall" to work (getting your enemy to over-shoot) your opponent would need to be point-blank on your tail. A situation you really don't want to find yourself in.
    If you want to see combat maneuvers done properly, get History Channel's "Dogfight" series. It's available thru the History Channel or if Netflix if you're a member of that. Better public libraries carry the DVD's.
    Just remember that the high energy maneuvers like the High/Low Yo-Yo are difficult if not impossible for WW1 planes.

Another thing to remember... in these days of comic book super-heroes, Hollywood feels that it really has to push the envelope of reality to entertain. It's decided that it is what you want.
    Afterall, movies were always meant for entertainment...not education.

Jim

Hi Zoe, Yeah, sounds good, I'll wright that down, till I can remember it. Thanks.

Fabric Flyer

Quote Originally Posted by Fabric Flyer View Post
    Thanks Old Navy, Now I know.Love that maneuver. How about the one when the Squadron leader rips off the top wing of a Dr1 on his tail, with his wheels. I would guess that couldn't happen and still have wheels.
    Thanks for the reply.

Fabric Flyer
    Account of the Death of Boelke (from wikipedia)

"During their sixth mission on 28 October 1916, Böhme, Boelcke, von Richthofen, and three other pilots from Jasta 2 pounced upon two DH-2 scouts from No. 24 Squadron. In the scrambled attack in gusty weather, Richthofen was cut out of his firing approach on one British plane by an interposed German plane. Böhme and Boelcke were both closing on the other.

Boelcke had to swerve to avoid a mid-air collision in the dogfight. Böhme's Albatros briefly collided with that of Oswald Boelcke. The wheels of Böhme's plane barely brushed the fabric of the top wing of Boelcke's craft, but it was enough to start the fabric unraveling. Boelcke struggled for control as his plane's control surface shredded in the turbulence. He skillfully crashlanded after the entire upper wing tore loose in a cloud. In his haste to be airborne, he had not fastened his seat belt. Böhme survived the accident, as he had suffered only landing gear damage, but Boelcke was killed by his relatively mild impact."

Quote Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
    It's called the "Flying Scissors" and would be represented by using a stall maneuver. It will work provided your opponent doesn't stall also.
    You've got to remember that each card represents a very small amount of real-time. A maneuver you see a real aircraft do would be represented by several movement cards taking one or more turns.
    And to be honest, "Fly Boys", in my opinion, was making those Nieuports act more like F-16's than a WW1 craft. I mean, Nieuports were maneuverable but I doubt they could have put up with those kind of stresses.
    "Blue Max" would give you better examples of WW1 maneuver.
    Jim
    Check out my second entry on this thread Jim - there's footage showing what a Nieuport could do (about 11.45 in).

And for Lou & others here is a link for pics of an alternative 3 card Loop Manoeuvre which is discussed on this thread
    Last edited by flash; 06-11-2012 at 11:57.

Thanks again flash, very helpful

Fabric Flyer

Dave (flash),

Loved the film... I enjoy seeing how everyday things were done in earlier times. No special equipment...just hand-tools and muscle. Could you imagine putting the wing back on one of today's fighter-bombers by hand?
    I guess what I meant by the movie having Nieuports acting like F-16's was the speed of the manuever. Bi-planes have always been more manueverable which is why they're so popular with aerobatic teams and individuals.
    I've been to enough air shows to be aware of that.
    It just that Hollywood (generic term for all nations' movie establishments) give their CGI air forces such fantastic roll-rates and climb speeds.
    Thanks again for the film.

Jim

You're most welcome chaps - nice to see the the lads that did the real thing captured in moving pictures - not long now until that is a century old !