Ares Games

Thread: Looking for the Mongoose

Default Looking for the Mongoose

Looking to repaint an SE5a as that of Frank "Mongoose" Soden in 41 Sqn 1918 - have a pic from the Osprey SE5 aces book of one of their kites but has anyone got a pic of his actual aircraft or can tell me what paint job or markings he had ?
    Ta Muchly !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Looks like he scored victories in these SE5a aircraft:

60 Sqd
    B543 - 4 kills
    B510 - 1 kill
    B523 - 1 kill
    A8898 - 2 kills
    A8934 - 1 kill
    C5332 - 5 kills

41 Sqd
    E1300 - 2 kills
    E4048 - 1 kill
    C1913 - 1 kill
    F5545 - 6 kills
    E4082 - 1 kill

Thankyou Mon Colonel, that's interesting stuff. So is this - I found this footage of Soden with Billy Bishop amongst others & other nice RFC/RAF footage of aircraft whilst I was looking for stuff on him: Click here

The footage identified as: "The footage of Bishop was shot at 60 Squadron, at Filescamp Farm on 22 July 1917. Captain William "Moley" Molesworth wrote about being filmed in one of his letters home, saying something to the effect that they no longer considered Charlie Chaplin such a big thing now that they were all budding cinema stars. The long-nosed chap with the dog to the (viewer's) left of Bishop is Lt. Frank Soden, and as has been pointed out, "Grid" Caldwell is easily recognizable to the right of Bishop. In fact, panning from left to right, the pilots were : 2/Lt. Jenkins, Lt. Soden (with dog), 2/Lt. Steele (in the background), Bishop, Caldwell, and Molesworth. A nice still photo taken at the same time appears in C & C G.B., Vol. 11 No. 2, page 49." Greg van Wyngarden at The Aerodrome.
    Last edited by flash; 01-16-2012 at 11:34.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

flash,
    Great bits of footage; just unfortunate that there is no identification of where the FE2d/Strutter 'drome is.
    BofB

The link to the film is outstanding! Thank you for sharing it.

Thumbs up

Wonderful original footage, Flash!
    Great find.

flash, Great film, Thanks

Fabric Flyer

The film in your link does not play on my computer.

Found it on the aerodrome forum - Try here David & click on Images d'une guerre oubliee in Greybeards post

Only just caught up with this film Dave . It's a real cracking find well done.
    Rob.

I am sorry but I still cannot get it to play. All it shows is a light grey rectangle with a timing bar, a volume slider and a pause button. Do you know whether it requires a particular video playing program, please?

Sorry Dave, I have no idea, would appear something lacking with your set up. How frustrating !

I have found out what was wrong. You need Adobe Flash player 11 to watch it. When I tried to watch the film on my home computer there was a message about downloading it, which I did and was able to watch the great film clips you found. Thank you for letting us know about them. Previously I had been trying to watch it on my work computer in the lunch break and I do not have the authority to download any files onto it.

Excellent ! Glad you got there in the end - well worth the wait !

Great film that, thenk you very much

Dave

great footage,thanks