Ares Games

Thread: Best Planes,Best year?

Default Best Planes,Best year?

Any opinion's on 'What's the Best year for Best planes made?' I'm thinking '1917', most of my favorite planes are made and flown in that year. Anyone agree? Better year?
    Thanks,

Fabric Flyer

I'd have too agee with you Lou,most of my favorites are from 1917.

Yes indeed. You have it there my son. Hit the nail right on the head. Even with my Albert Ball Nieuport steadily becoming out classed as the year progressed, I still have to say it is my favourite year.
    Rob.

Grey Knight, Yeah, I agree
    Thanks

Fabric Flyer

F O Kyte, Definetly, yes.
    Thanks,

Fabric Flyer

Thumbs up

Yes Lou 1917 saw nearly all the most famous Aircraft in use & many of them continued in service through to Wars end.

gully_raker, Yes,1917, the best.

Fabric Flyer

Definitely 1917 - seem to have some sort of bond with that year, my vintage Kodak camera turned out to be made in 1917, same with other bits of equipment in my collection - favourite photographs, wire cutters, helmet, most of the original books in my collection were printed in 1917 etc

I agree with 1917 being the most with the great aircraft , but I must admit to a liking for 1916 DH2, nieuports , Fokker D2 and Albatross D2

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    I agree with 1917 being the most with the great aircraft , but I must admit to a liking for 1916 DH2, nieuports , Fokker D2 and Albatross D2
    Hey Boney10, I think most are agreeing 1917, as I , but like you say 1916 had a lot of interesting planes. Those you mention and early Albatros,Fokkers,Pfalz,FE2b's, I think 'C''s for Ger. 2 seaters.
    Just finishing a F.E.2B,3/4 through Fokk. D. VII, started a Brist. F2b,[ Revire. make All the struts from scratch]. Going Strut Crazy!
    The D.VII is a difficult little plane,struts. Had to make 8 struts for F.E.2b.

Fabric Flyer

What's the Best year for Best planes made
    1936 (first Spitfire)

or

1964 (Harrier)

(otherwise I'd have to go for 1917 as well, and that would be boring)

1917 is a great year for aircraft diversity. All the 1916 classics flying alongside the 1917 greats. The year on the Western Front starts out with the Germans in the ascendancy with the introduction of the Albatros D.II and D.III, but ends with the Allied technical superiority with the SE5a, SPAD S.XIII, Sopwith Camel and Bristol F.2b.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Tough one as I like the new 1918 planes but have a fondness for 1917. So I'll go with 1917.

My favorite planes
    Fokker Eindekker and Sopwith Pup some of the first real fighters the development/experimental years so I go for 1915/16
    Linz

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    My favorite planes
    Fokker Eindekker and Sopwith Pup some of the first real fighters the development/experimental years so I go for 1915/16
    Linz
    Linz, Fokk. EIII definetly. I like the early planes too. The spoke wheels! Its like differ. phases of the air war had interesting planes in all. 1916-17 thats when you had everything, then 1918 all the last new planes,planes that seen a month,2 weeks, 1 mission.
    Everyone has their favorites.

Fabric Flyer