Ares Games

Thread: Capt Benbow?

Default Capt Benbow?

I was just reading about Capt Benbow, and was wondering if anyone can fill in some details, such as, what does FE.8 Serial No. 7627 look like?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Benbow

I'm no expert, that's for certain, but my guess is if he flew with 40 Squadron his FE.8 was probably painted grey on the fuselage, with PC10 upper wing surfaces and canvas lower?

I found in the list of the aces in Jon Guttman,Harry Dempsey Pusher Aces of World War 1 Osprey Publishing that another Benbow's Fe.8 S/N is mentioned: A4871. And this link with an FE-8 a one side livery of 40 Squad.

http://ecardmodels.com/multi-livery-pack-p-1349.html

Attilio

From 'Above the Trenches', it looks like Benbow was flying 7627 when he scored his first 5 kills (up to 20 Dec 16), and then A4871 for his subsequent 3 (14 Feb-6 Mar 17).

From 'British Aviation Squadron Markings', 40 Sqn's FE8s carried no sqn markings, used coloured wheel covers for Flt markings (A - red, B - white, C - blue) and individual numbers 1 to 6 per flight, positioned ahead of the cockpit on the nacelle (A - red outlined white, B - white, C - blue outlined white). There is a photo of 7624 apparently taken no later than 9 Nov 16 which appears to show the nacelle painted PC10.
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 06-01-2012 at 15:29. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    From 'Above the Trenches', it looks like Benbow was flying 7627 when he scored his first 5 kills (up to 20 Dec 16), and then A4871 for his subsequent 3 (14 Feb-6 Mar 17).

From 'Britsh Aviation Squadron Markings', 40 Sqn's FE8s carried no sqn markings, used coloured wheel covers for Flt markings (A - red, B - white, C - blue) and individual numbers 1 to 6 per flight ahead of the cockpit on the nacelle (A - red outlined white, B - white, C - blue outlined white). There is a photo of 7624 apparently taken no later than 9 Nov 16 which appears to show the nacelle painted PC10.
    Nice info!

I've been looking for Capt Benbow's individual flight number and colour on 7627 for about a month now and haven't found anything yet. After reading that he forced down the Red Barron I thought he'd be a good match for the F-toys D.iii. All my research confirmes the above for 40 sq and I'll keep looking for more. If I do find any extra info I'll be sure to post it here.

Ian

Womble,
    Benbow's encounter with MvR was on 6 Mar 17, at which time his victories are attributed to A4871 rather than 7627.
    BofB

Thanks Baldrick,

Info on either A4871 or 7627 would be great. I've a shapeways FE.8 that's just waiting for some individual markings, I'll keep searching for a while longer to see what I can find.

Ian

Womble,
    I'm afraid I have nothing further on the detail I provided at #3 above.
    BofB