Ares Games

Thread: Finish's

Default Finish's

Whats the opinion on different finish's,: Flat,semi-gloss, combination, part matter's. Flat wings & fuselage w/ semi-gloss wooden struts, wing,landing struts,tail skid. Metallic colors,: Engines, M.G.'s.,exhaust ports and pipes.
    Colors for Tires,: always Black or others, Dark Gray, Lt. Gray,etc....
    Any & all opinion's, Thank Full for. Could give people Ideas not thought of and want to try.

Thanks,

Fabric Flyer

I use flat on everything but natural wood,like alb fuse,struts etc.then I do satin finish,otherwise it looks too toyish to me.just my opinion.some of the WoW planes come with off white tires and I kinda like the looks of those.

Grey Knight, Agree with all said.
    Thanks,

Fabric Flyer

I use matt or all surfaces, tyres black or light grey, depends on the colour of the aircraft

Matt on everything. Tyres in medium grey for WW1.

Boney10, Matt yes, and yes for some differ. tire color.once in awhile.i like a little shin on the wooden struts depending on planes too.
    Thanks

Fabric flyer

David Manley, Yes matt, differ. grays even. I build 1/72 WWI Armoured cars too, and do their tires in differ.colors. If a plane may have wooden color struts,maybe a little sheen on them, wheel struts too.
    Thanks,

Fabric Flyer

Lightbulb

G'day Lou!
    I do everything with Matt & overcoat with GW's matt varnish to protect the decals & finish.
    Tyres should be mid grey historically but Black is OK as well. I do both.
    With wood finish yes Satin would be good but I usually dont worry.
    Probably will when I do the Natural Ply finish on Albatross'.

g_raker, yes on Matt, differ.color tires.Satin on wood finish, nice.

Fabric Flyer

i have seen it alot the guys doing the sky blue canopies on the WWII jobs but i dont really agree with that i belive it would be a lighter blue almost a haze with some grey in it but i also think like on the bombers the mid fuselage windows should be a darker color seeing as how you would be seeing the dark inside of the plane just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by sirosis o liver View Post
    i have seen it alot the guys doing the sky blue canopies on the WWII jobs but i dont really agree with that i belive it would be a lighter blue almost a haze with some grey in it but i also think like on the bombers the mid fuselage windows should be a darker color seeing as how you would be seeing the dark inside of the plane just my opinion
    Well normally I try to do that by painting my windows the fuselage color or something similar and the give the windows a wash with light blue. The only model I've done this was the Ju52.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Junkers Ju 520002.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	49277

I actually prefer models with real clear cockpit glazing but in 1/200 those are a rare find. But that's the main reason why I won't buy any resin of metal models from for example armaments.

However I did bought 3 B17's from academy where the windows needed to be painted as well. I really like the finish of the models of Carl_Brisgamer. Especially his cockpits really stand out and suit his models. Thats why I tried its as well on my first B17. I tried it but i'm not really happy about it and on the other models will use my previous technique of giving a wash to the windows. The paint he uses is probably also better but still I think its not my taste on my own models.

Name:	DSC03090.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	49281

I've used a Coal Black (which is a semi gloss) in windows before - flat colours on other parts then sometimes a satin cote finish to give a little shine.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Ditto, flat for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomatchef View Post
    Well normally I try to do that by painting my windows the fuselage color or something similar and the give the windows a wash with light blue. The only model I've done this was the Ju52.

Name:	Junkers Ju 520002.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	49277

I actually prefer models with real clear cockpit glazing but in 1/200 those are a rare find. But that's the main reason why I won't buy any resin of metal models from for example armaments.

However I did bought 3 B17's from academy where the windows needed to be painted as well. I really like the finish of the models of Carl_Brisgamer. Especially his cockpits really stand out and suit his models. Thats why I tried its as well on my first B17. I tried it but i'm not really happy about it and on the other models will use my previous technique of giving a wash to the windows. The paint he uses is probably also better but still I think its not my taste on my own models.

Name:	DSC03090.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	49281
    Hey Thomatchef, I like B-17's too. Nice job. I seen mentioned ' real clear cockpit glazing', I thought of what I used to do for clear parts. Ever hear of 'Future floor wax', if you dip canopy's or any clear part in it, you should see the results. Makes them so much more clearer, no foggy,no scratches, sometimes dip more than once. If you know of this method, sorry to repeat, if not, try it.
    Hope this helps.

Fabric Flyer

Matt on everything - at least until Vallejo come up with an aerosol that can automatically sense what should be gloss and adjust accordingly :-)