Ares Games

Thread: Reporting back from Lend Lease

Default Reporting back from Lend Lease

Got back safely from Origins, brain still trying to work out what time zone it wants to work on (brain decided to sleep on it for 6 hours). I'll post a report or two in the next couple of days (and bore the a**e off you with a load of pics from Origins and USAF museum), but for now I just want to say a big thanks to all the guys and gals I met out there who made the trip so memorable - you rock, people

Steve a most deserving person for us to assist in getting here. I was at an airshow this weekend but would have loved to get there and meet you if it wasn't that far for me. I hope you enjoyed yourself. Can't wait to see the photos.

Steve, glad you made it back from Ohio safely! Having you here was an absolute thrill!

Steve, it was our pleasure having you with us! Glad to see you made it home!

It was a pleasure to meet you, Steve!
    Dinner at the 94th Aero was alot of fun.

Jim

Steve it was our pleasure to have you here. Thanks for coming and all the gifts. We all hope you liked it so much that you will come and visit again next year.
    It was also great to have a pint and it not being a virtual one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1176.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	48588

Thomas
    Last edited by CappyTom; 06-06-2012 at 17:52. Reason: Added a photo.

Thumbs up

Welcome home Steve!
    Looking forward to seeing all the Pics.

Glad you made the transatlantic flight safely and it was wonderful meeting you finally. Hopefully now that you are home, you will not have to wake up thinking the Germans are invading again! lol

What was the issue with your luggage at the Columbus airport?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Glad you made the transatlantic flight safely and it was wonderful meeting you finally. Hopefully now that you are home, you will not have to wake up thinking the Germans are invading again! lol

What was the issue with your luggage at the Columbus airport?
    Yeah, heart failure at 6.45 a.m. is not a good way to start the day

The TSA X-rayed my case and decided they saw something they didn't like and wanted the combination to the lock on my case. So having gone through security (shoes off, belt off, assume the position for being X-rayed - hoping pants will stay up despite lack of belt) and walked down about 300 yards of to the gate, had to go back and do it all again

At least the TSA guys did a better job of packing my case than I did

Steve; it was great seeing you, and gaming with you. Sorry I missed the Thursday night games.
    My wife really liked the little bear from the RAF museum. Thanks.
    Karl

To you Ohio guys....Glad you met Steve and treated him as a guest and honorable person he is. As I alway say this site is great because of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    To you Ohio guys....Glad you met Steve and treated him as a guest and honorable person he is. As I alway say this site is great because of the people.

Yep, you Buckeyes are something special.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dave
    Sorties Flown

Speaking of the AF Museum, and Steve. I did witness the nice Zeppelin handoff and the excellent scratchbuilt (?) hangar on Saturday. Steve was the fellow with the maroon Glider museum (Osterbeek?) polo shirt, right?
    FWIW, this aircraft below was flown into Iraq at the beginning of Desert Storm by Frank Cooper, who was a friend's little brother for some time until I got old. This bird has a lot of miles on it, and somehow the museum really did not mention the modern era penetration missions.

Name:	Pave Low.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	48374

Welcome back Steve, look forward to seeing the pics

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    Yep, you Buckeyes are something special.
    Roger that! Thanks for your comments guys, I'll start saving for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kugelblitz View Post
    Speaking of the AF Museum, and Steve. I did witness the nice Zeppelin handoff and the excellent scratchbuilt (?) hangar on Saturday. Steve was the fellow with the maroon Glider museum (Osterbeek?) polo shirt, right?
    FWIW, this aircraft below was flown into Iraq at the beginning of Desert Storm by Frank Cooper, who was a friend's little brother for some time until I got old. This bird has a lot of miles on it, and somehow the museum really did not mention the modern era penetration missions.

Name:	Pave Low.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	48374
    Dave, It's actually the Airborne Museum at Oosterbeek. I need to check if it's the same chopper, but if it is, it also served in Vietnam and was on the Son Tay raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
    It was a pleasure to meet you, Steve!
    Dinner at the 94th Aero was alot of fun.

Jim
    94'th Aero Awww Man! That must have been great. I love going to that restaurant. We have one of them in College Park, MD. It has a big old F4U at the front door. Guntruck glad you made it home safe.

Quote Originally Posted by bigk57 View Post
    94'th Aero Awww Man! That must have been great. I love going to that restaurant. We have one of them in College Park, MD. It has a big old F4U at the front door. Guntruck glad you made it home safe.
    I'm sad to report that the one in College Park closed a couple years ago, and as far as I know it hasn't reopened.
    (Of course, I'd love to hear that I am wrong, since I never got a chance to go.)

Oh my gosh, they look identical. I thought it was a unique restaurant. That's funny.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Oh my gosh, they look identical. I thought it was a unique restaurant. That's funny.

Thomas
    I think there were several scattered around the country at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    I'm sad to report that the one in College Park closed a couple years ago, and as far as I know it hasn't reopened.
    (Of course, I'd love to hear that I am wrong, since I never got a chance to go.)
    Man that is some harsh news to hear. I guess it has been awhile since I have been there. You are probally correct. What did they do with the planes? Imagine if they had a yardsale. Be a proud owner of a Corsair lawn ornament in the front yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
    I think there were several scattered around the country at one time.
    There's one in San Diego, CA, Van Nuys, CA, Wheeling,IL, and Miami,FL according to the web.

Jim

The one in Columbus,OH has a P-51D painted in the colors of the 343rd Fighter Squadron, 55th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force.

Jim