Ares Games

Thread: The Battle of Midway

Default The Battle of Midway

Seventy years ago today, the Battle of Midway was fought between the Imperial Japanese Navy and the United States Navy. I love to read about this epic engagement; it truly could have gone either way. But in the end, four Japanese CVs were at the bottom of the Pacific, versus only one American CV sunk. My salute to the brave airmen, sailors and marines of both sides.

Also, it's my birthday, so drinks are on me.

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith13 View Post
    Seventy years ago today, the Battle of Midway was fought between the Imperial Japanese Navy and the United States Navy. I love to read about this epic engagement; it truly could have gone either way. But in the end, four Japanese CVs were at the bottom of the Pacific, versus only one American CV sunk. My salute to the brave airmen, sailors and marines of both sides.

Also, it's my birthday, so drinks are on me.

Well Happy Birthday mate! and yes, Epic is the perfect word for the battle of Midway! My Grandfather served in the pacific and took two bullets to boot! He was an enlisted man, but retired a Captain up for Major. Interesting times they were! My Grandmother kept a scrap book full of telegrams and letters when he was shot. I can remember reading some of these and there was one from his Sargent that said "Hope you are well Sir! I met a new girl, but don't worry sir, it's not yours!" I often wondered how my Grandmother felt about that one! lol But they were married to the end! Though she did run right out and register as a Democrat after he died...lol

Bottoms up Gents!

Have a drink on me for your birthday Brad, but don't get too 'bombed'.

I also have an easy time remembering this date as my dad was born during the battle of midway. No he wasn't born on the ship But since I learned that as a kid I always said happy Battle of Midway instead of Happy Birthday On his Birthday I watch "Midway", on mine he watches "Groundhog Day".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_3358.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	48055
    Happy birthday and yes a truely epic battle. One part most people forget is the codebreakers and they ID'd where the attack was going to happen. After that it was the air crews that did the job and suffered. Here is a pic of a Dauntless that was one the heros that day.

Happy Birthday Brad!

Thumbs up

Happy Birthday Brad!
    Yes Midway was a Mother of All Battles.
    I watch the movie fairly often.

Salute and cheers Brad, sorry a day late. Hope you had a good day. And cheers to the brave men that fought that day too.

Thomas

Thanks for the good wishes! It was a good day. Nice SBD picture! I wish we had some WGS minis of those and maybe some TBDs - then we could have some killer Midway scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    One part most people forget is the codebreakers and they ID'd where the attack was going to happen.
    You think one of the Japanese admirals said at one point: "But how can they be hiding from us if they don't know... that we're coming?" [looks up to see SBDs inbound]

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    You think one of the Japanese admirals said at one point: "But how can they be hiding from us if they don't know... that we're coming?" [looks up to see SBDs inbound]
    That reminds me of one of those National Airline Jokes & for the Japanese it went something like :

(in heavy Jap accent) "This is Captain Nakamora welcoming you to Flight 313 of Nippon Airways flying from Tokyo to Honorooroo. We expect to reach our destination a 0800 hours & they dont know we are coming"

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    That reminds me of one of those National Airline Jokes & for the Japanese it went something like :
    I was going for _Return of the Jedi_, but....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_3328.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	48550Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_3343.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	48551

The other sides famous plane. Replica used in TORA, TORA, TORA

That's a great pic of the psuedo-Val! Where is it? I have seen one of the Val replicas at the March AFB Museum. It's a little funny, because there's kanji all over the airplane, and the right under the port canopy rail there's a stencil in English that says "Aichi D3A1 Val".

Took the photo at an air show this past weekend. I think the markings are for a VAL from the HIRYU. There are more pictures of the show in my albums.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Cheers to you and our victory at Midway!

Bob, I'm jealous!

Hill AFB had its first airshow in several years on Memorial Day weekend. It was the coldest rainiest weekend in 45 years. The flying wasn't cancelled, but it was curtailed. And it's been a very long time since I've been able to attend a warbird-centric airshow. Looks like you had a great time.

Spent this jubilee in vacation in Austria.

The Americans in the Pacific War have my greatest sympathies!

I like the whole stuff from Pearl Habour to Midway over Guadalcanal to Tarawa and Iwo Jima, especially the USMC in WW II.

The film "Midway" with Charlton Heston (one of my favourite actors) was one of the first Pacific War films I saw in my youth.

In my opinion the victory of Midway sealed the fate of the Japanese Imperium after six month starting the war*. It was a turning point like Stalingrad, the Battle of Kursk and Tunis 1943 for Germany. But in difference, the Wehrmacht fought much more effective for more than three years since this point.

*even regarding the impressive attacks and advances in the south-east-asian regions in the first half of 1942
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 06-10-2012 at 22:48.