Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: There are Giants & then there are Really Big Giants!

The mind boggles, and fwiw, the Gothas are really not much more than glorified two-seaters. While clipper churns out these babies, I need to work on something bigger for Shapeways. In fact, I've started one project, and am getting ready for another. And whatever I come up with, I'll try to keep it affordable.

Yeah, I am just about to give in and try this Shapeways stuff, I put in many years with AutoCAD and Corel DRAW but got out just as the 3D came of age, I too have a few things I would like to try but the learning curve is a bit intimidating.
    Clipper

Ca-4

V-150 if you're ambitious, but the price will be astronomical.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    The mind boggles, and fwiw, the Gothas are really not much more than glorified two-seaters.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bombers.JPG 
Views:	284 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	49347

Top left - AEG G.IV, Aviatik C.I, Farman F.40, Caproni CA.3, Caudron G.IV, Voisin III

Then Friedrischafen G.IIIa, Gotha IV/V, HP O/400, and a Zepp.

Fokker D.II in bottom for scale.

Where is the smiley for drooling....?Awesome!

Had a prang with the Zepp... all 4 cabane stuts shattered, 3 of 4 nacelle struts broken (but pieces salvaged).

So I've replaced the cabane struts with mild steel from cannibalised safety pins, and since I'm at it, will be installing overwing gunners too. The additional (thinner) steel wire struts will reinforce the nacelles as well. It's already stiffer and stronger, the Zep model is marginal for printing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    ... and since I'm at it, will be installing overwing gunners too.
    I was thinking about doing the same. Not sure how yet, though.

/Jörgen

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Had a prang with the Zepp... all 4 cabane stuts shattered, 3 of 4 nacelle struts broken (but pieces salvaged)... It's already stiffer and stronger, the Zep model is marginal for printing.
    Is that because the struts are too thin? Or is it purely due to overall size? Or a combination of things?

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    I was thinking about doing the same. Not sure how yet, though.
    It helps to have researched photos first.

Name:	46-1.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	49389

Name:	133-2.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	49390

Name:	133-3.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	49408

I intend to
    1) Drill big hole (4mm) in wing.
    2) Cut up 2 safety pins, inserting sharp end into rear end of engine gap in nacelle, through the hole, and parallel with each other.
    3) Cut out platform and windshield from convenient thin plastic.
    4) Glue one pin in, then platform and windshield, then the other pin. Paint. Platform is at same level as lower edge of aft radiator.
    5) Cut painted pilot figure in half, using lower 2/3 (bent to shape) through hole onto platform.
    6) Build up bulge with white putty, sanding to shape when dry. Paint.
    7) Glue single lewis gunner NOT parabellum gunner head-and-shoulders corresponding with lower body orientation.
    8) Make good.

More pics - this time of the R.IV, which had a similar arrangement.

Name:	124-3.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	49391

Name:	124-4.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	49409
    Last edited by Zoe Brain; 06-13-2012 at 05:10.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    Is that because the struts are too thin? Or is it purely due to overall size? Or a combination of things?
    Struts are in scale, and that's too thin for structural strength on the model. They need thickening up to the thickness of the O/400 model at least. They're longer, and carry a heavier load too. This is the only Shapeways model I have that will definitely break if dropped. The O/400 is a lot stronger.

Thanks Zoe. I'll file that in memory for future use. That, and the wing gun positions too.

I suppose you will need stats for this beastie
    Thoughts
    XA on large bomber base Guns C 2 Autocannons B machine guns (42) Damages 40 Engines 10 Climb Rate 8 Ceiling 12 crew 35
    Linz

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Frankly, I doubt the Mannesmann-Poll would have flown, much less been effective -- look up "Barling Bomber" for details.
    I think you`r probably right there.
    The Barling though, that was essentially a somewhat rebuilt Tarant Tabor with some modifications to prevent nose-overs.
    So it`s main problem was that it was a 1918-19 design that first flew in the 1920`s obsolete before it even flew!

Squadron....

Has anyone had any report of Clipper??? Rumor has it he was buildng bombers.

R

Check my "England Beware" thread on the hobby section, been a bit busy but the bomber lozenge is just coming out of the printer as I type . . . Clipper on deck

First of the Last. Prototype is nearing completion, build to follow in the next few days, here she is:

In the company of a fresh new L-42 Altitude Climber Zeppelin, the Giants are Flying among us!

The DRI could almost land on the fuselage!

Just goes to show how a simple nudge can push a guy over the edge! Thanks for the trip man! Clipper drifting in the sky . . .

Cool!

New Zeppelin, camo balloon and the giant prototype...

Much to do for the RFC Naval Squadrons and Home Defense.

Can we be sure that Gerry Anderson didn't enjoy some German ancestry? It reminds me a bit of this

Name:	Zero-X.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	55574

Clipper, you never cease to amaze me!

That thing looks great!

Dave

Once again I'm impressed Dave.
    What will you do once you have completed a Squadron of every plane that has ever flown?
    Rob.

That is absolutely incredible

Chapeau Clipper! Absolutely fantastic; and a great looking terrain board to boot.

Phenomenal - how big's the management card ?!!

Wow!
    This is wonderful!
    My megalomaniac side is just so happy, David!
    Thanks again for an incredible show of talent!

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Once again I'm impressed Dave.
    What will you do once you have completed a Squadron of every plane that has ever flown?
    Rob.
    He and his elves will start building those that were proposed but were never built...knowing him as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    The DRI could almost land on the fuselage!
    OK -- so why not do a Forssmann with a couple Dr.Is as parasite-fighters?

I mean: How Hard Can it Be? :)

"Yo, dawg -- I heard you like triplanes; so we put some triplanes on your triplane --" <WHAP> OW! <THUNK> OW! <SMASH> OW! <THWAP> OW! ....

It took me 2 years to build everything the Germans produced in WWII at 1/72" scale, 74 had to be scratch built, they occupy 14 boxes on my garage. Then they came out with the Luft 46 designs and I spent a year making them. I was doing WWII in 1/144 when this crazy guy named Hunter got me into this trap, I am almost through it now, but find I enjoy the game as much as the building. The Zeppelin and LTA up through WWI are lurking on the horizon, I really like the first rigid airships . . . always wanted a real one . . . Clipper adrift

I would love to see photos of all those planes you've built.
    I had an American friend who built dozens of perfect planes with plasticine. An amazing work, so skilled.
    Died of cancer, his wife tried to give the planes to a museum. Nobody wanted them. Such amazing work...
    These are the rare occasions when I'd like to be rich...

You are truly an inspiration.

Those busy writting essays on why you need a Forssman Triplane need to get your entry in by Wednesday! The Flock is ready to fly!

Clipper on the move . . .

Joaquim's Essay

The reason I need a Forssman Triplane in my life

The reason I need a Forssman Triplane is to jump over the commands of a dream, to fly low over the roofs of the big city, to command the winds in a canvas dragon that it is, but never got to be.
    To waltz through the deck of this flying giant machinegunning the afternoon.
    The reason I need a Forssman Triplane is to embark all the animals of Noah and lay a flood of bombs made of pig meat, blue socks and old beer.
    To catch winged women in the outskirts of the dawn and share a noble wine with them.
    The reason I need a Forssman Triplane is because it came out of your building hands and exists, real and a mythological beast at the same time.
    I need a Forssman Triplane.
    I need a Forssman Triplane...
    And the sound of it's ten engines in the sky of my living room, flying slowly into the sunset.

Fin.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Joaquim's Essay

The reason I need a Forssman Triplane in my life

The reason I need a Forssman Triplane is to jump over the commands of a dream, to fly low over the roofs of the big city, to command the winds in a canvas dragon that it is, but never got to be.
    To waltz through the deck of this flying giant machinegunning the afternoon.
    The reason I need a Forssman Triplane is to embark all the animals of Noah and lay a flood of bombs made of pig meat, blue socks and old beer.
    To catch winged women in the outskirts of the dawn and share a noble wine with them.
    The reason I need a Forssman Triplane is because it came out of your building hands and exists, real and a mythological beast at the same time.
    I need a Forssman Triplane...
    And the sound of it's ten engines in the sky of my living room, flying slowly into the sunset.

Fin.

(He bows deeply.)
    Thanks, Karl.

Waxing lyrical again my boy. Whatever will your Commanding Officer say this time.

Never mind old chap, sit down with me in my corner of the bar, have a nice large G&T and wait for it to all go away. I do frequently!

Name:	black adder.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	56018

Kyte.

Dear Rob, my Commanding Officer is going to deliver big, big engines on me...
    (Leaves whistling a happy tune...)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Waxing lyrical again my boy. Whatever will your Commanding Officer say this time.

Never mind old chap, sit down with me in my corner of the bar, have a nice large G&T and wait for it to all go away. I do frequently!

Name:	black adder.jpg 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	56018

Kyte.
    So finally, at last we get to see a close up shot of the famous F/O Kyte.
    Rather hansome chap really if somewhat eccentric to my mind.
    However who cares for eccentrificies if he successfully shoots down German Aircraft & buys G & T's!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    So finally, at last we get to see a close up shot of the famous F/O Kyte.
    Rather hansome chap really if somewhat eccentric to my mind.
    However who cares for eccentrificies if he successfully shoots down German Aircraft & buys G & T's!
    Has also been known to perform in the Orchestra at Olympic Opening Ceremonies.

Name:	Rowan at the Olympics..jpg 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	56101

Rob.

I frankly much prefer the image I have of FO Kyte, in the company of a beautiful lady in a 1917 thematic party. Here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/alb...chmentid=50630

I frankly much prefer the image I have of FO Kyte, in the company of a beautiful lady in a 1917 thematic party. Here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/alb...chmentid=50630
    Ah yes Quim!
    I had more hair in those days.
    Kyte.

Hair is overrated, my friend.
    A bold man in an bald head is twice better than a hairy man in a air-full head...
    Just saying...

Hair is overrated, my friend.
    A bold man in an bald head is twice better than a hairy man in a air-full head...
    And if he hadn't been quite so bold quite so often, he'd be less bald; whereas the hairy man is always more 'air-full about what 'e does. ;)

In fact, Chris, boldness in the true penetrating state needs to be bald! And a bald man can be hairy, but a air-full man tends to be reckless, but recklessness is the poor sister of boldness. Was I clear?

Just remember tha men with a bald patch at the front are great thinkers.
    Men with a bald patch at the back are sexy.
    Whilst men who are completely bald just think they are sexy.
    Kyte.

I call it "surface cooling" and you need that here where its 114 F

Clipper clipped

In fact, Chris, boldness in the true penetrating state needs to be bald! And a bald man can be hairy, but a air-full man tends to be reckless, but recklessness is the poor sister of boldness. Was I clear?
    Any moment now, I expect Henry Crun and Minnie Bannister to enter this thread...

http://www.thegoonshow.net/scripts_s...om_head_shaver

Greenslade: "This is the BBC Home Service."

I just cut my hair today. Razor short...

Any moment now, I expect Henry Crun and Minnie Bannister to enter this thread...
    Classic One of my most surreal moments was driving through North Carolina with my shock team on the I-95 listening to "The Flea", "Napoleon's Piano" and other episodes on the car stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Classic One of my most surreal moments was driving through North Carolina with my shock team on the I-95 listening to "The Flea", "Napoleon's Piano" and other episodes on the car stereo.
    I'm working on an idea for a racing game involving steam-powered pipe organs -- I want to design the movement system so that one assembles a musical number as one's movement; the higher the tempo, the faster one goes, but the greater likelihood of a crash....

Clipper, these are stunning truly stunning. WOW....wow... you are amazing!

I'm working on an idea for a racing game involving steam-powered pipe organs -- I want to design the movement system so that one assembles a musical number as one's movement; the higher the tempo, the faster one goes, but the greater likelihood of a crash....
    What a marvellous idea. You know, I could see this working well, and Eureka doing a range of models. Seriously.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast