Ares Games

Thread: Mounting bombers

Default Mounting bombers

I have a couple of Shapeways bombers and some AA bases and some bomber pegs and was wondering how I should mount the bombers onto the pegs, are the AA gimbal mounts man enough for the job.
    As the Shapeways bombers are very light I thought they might be OK.
    Any suggestions?
    Don

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    I have a couple of Shapeways bombers and some AA bases and some bomber pegs and was wondering how I should mount the bombers onto the pegs, are the AA gimbal mounts man enough for the job.
    As the Shapeways bombers are very light I thought they might be OK.
    Any suggestions?
    Don
    G'day Don!
    Mate you could give it a try but the problem might be "balance" (?)
    I decided to just use Magnet to Magnet fit for my HP 0/400. You can just slide the aircraft off sideways but it gives a really firm fix for gaming.
    Give the gimbel a try as you can always just change the ball to another magnet on the peg.

Rare Earth magnets should do the job if the gimble mounts fail. They have an attraction better than dung to a fly.
    Rob.

Thanks Barry a nice simple solution, I am trying it out right now.
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    G'day Don!
    Mate you could give it a try but the problem might be "balance" (?)
    I decided to just use Magnet to Magnet fit for my HP 0/400. You can just slide the aircraft off sideways but it gives a really firm fix for gaming.
    Give the gimbel a try as you can always just change the ball to another magnet on the peg.

I do magnet on magnet for my bombers as well... both Ares and Skytrex (all metal) and they hold very well. As Barry says, you have to slide the magnets apart sideways.

I was slightly alarmed when I saw the title of this thread... I know we love bombers but mounting them is a bit much ! Thank goodness it was about stands

I had better be more careful with my wording when I post in future.
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I was slightly alarmed when I saw the title of this thread... I know we love bombers but mounting them is a bit much ! Thank goodness it was about stands

I tried using the dung and fly method,didn't work real well.will stick with magnets...

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Knight View Post
    I tried using the dung and fly method,didn't work real well.will stick with magnets...
    Must have used the wrong type of dung Chuck. I'm afraid we are poles apart on the solution to this problem.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I do magnet on magnet for my bombers as well... both Ares and Skytrex (all metal) and they hold very well. As Barry says, you have to slide the magnets apart sideways.
    Where do you get your magnetic gimbals?

/Niclas

Got mine from Aerodrome Accessories but I think when I got mine I got magnets and ball-bearings separately, it looks like you get both together now
    http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/...al-mounts.html

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    Where do you get your magnetic gimbals?

/Niclas

I thought about gimbles, but I figured the slow sweeping turns of the bombers didn't need to pivot much, so I didn't bother.

You can get magnets and bearings in one product and just bearings in a separate product (to stretch the cost of the magnets since they are the expensive part).

Sorry, I obviously got confused midway through my post...
    I meant magnetic ball bearings - For magnet on magnet mounting.
    The standard (Aerodrome Accessory) gimbal/bearings won't hold the bombers, that are too rear heavy.

/Niclas

Niclas,

I get all my magnets from K&J Magnetics (www.kjmagnetics.com). They will ship to Sweden via US Postal System for a flat rate of $17.50.
    You might find a company closer to home by doing a seach of "rare earth magnets". If you cannot find anyone...I can vouch for K&J as reliable and quick.
    The spheres are axially magnetized so you would have to mount it on the model with precision.

Jim

For my magnet to magnet mounting, I don't use any balls at all. It is just two magnets from the Gimbal Mount sets. So, they don't bank and dive, but the still work with all the flight pegs I've already attached magnets to. And, they don't pop off the pegs during game play either

Got me some rare earth magnets. Had to buy a set that cost me some $30. Now that didn't matter too much because I'd be set for bomber mounts for life. But...they didn't work. Not on the Oberst's mounts anyway. They may work better on a single surface mount.
    One thing I should have realized though, is that magnet on magnet would never work the way I would want them to - so that you could set the plane in a position, as with the regular gimbal mount - Since they'll snap back to the optimum state.

Grrr....

Only way I see round this is to replace the bomber fuselage (or a part of it) with something lighter to adjust balance. But then building the whole thing from scratch is probably about as easy - And you wouldn't have to slaughter an official mini to do it.

/Niclas

Niclas, are you using ring magnets like the ones in my Gimbal Mounts? If so, have you tried putting some of the kneed-able eraser down into the ring? I've found that really gives the bearing something to grip to and keeps heavy planes from tipping over.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Niclas, are you using ring magnets like the ones in my Gimbal Mounts? If so, have you tried putting some of the kneed-able eraser down into the ring? I've found that really gives the bearing something to grip to and keeps heavy planes from tipping over.
    Bought some and tried it. Didn't work. Problem is, those Gothas are all a** - Staring to think it's impossible to hold them on a gimbal (unless I put some current through it of course...)

/Niclas

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Have you tried simply moving the mounting point aft? On the Wings Of Glory Gotha the centre of gravity's maybe a millimetre or two aft of where the plastic wing part merges with the fuselage, so that's where you want to be putting any attempt at a gimbal mounting - ie. about half an inch aft of where the peg is on the model.
    Last edited by Dom S; 08-22-2012 at 12:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Have you tried simply moving the mounting point aft? On the Wings Of Glory Gotha the centre of gravity's maybe a millimetre or two aft of where the plastic wing part merges with the fuselage, so that's where you want to be putting any attempt at a gimbal mounting - ie. about half an inch aft of where the peg is on the model.
    Not only that, I just realized that the Gotha peg isn't where the red dot is on the card - It's on the right spot on for the rear gun on the base, but not on the plane itself. This may very well solve my problems. I'll keep my fingers crossed and try again!

Thanks, Dom!

/Niclas

I tried with the ball bearing (more correctly?) attached under the rear gun - And that works like a dream!
    Problems solved - Thank you all for your suggestions! Got there in the end.

It's still going to end badly if the pilot tries to turn or climb to sharply though - But I have a feeling that's not too far from what it would have been like in real life anyway.

/Niclas