Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REPUTATION: All you need to know!

Lightbulb REPUTATION: All you need to know!

Good Day fellow Pilots. Herr Oberst has asked me to do a Tutorial on REPUTATION: How, when & why.

Now I know our "old hands" probably know all about it but we have many new recruits & recent arrivals at the front so here goes.

HOW: You will find a small green thumbs up at the bottom of a post & to give "Reputation" just click on the icon & a Box will appear where you can insert a message & give a Rep Point to the owner of the Post. This icon has now been replaced with a Green + symbol!

WHY: If the Post appeals to you be it a AAR, an interesting thread, Pictures, Link or a Model Aircraft that you think deserves a Reputation Point then please click on the icon to give one. You never know the poster might return the favor on one of your posts.

Record of Rep Points: When a Rep Point is given & received the receiver will get a PM to advise of this & in his Profile Page there is a Button on the top RH Side "Reputation" & when he clicks on this will see how many Rep Points he has & who has given them.
    Rep Points also accumulate into the number of small green squares under your rank & Flag on your Avatar in each of your posts so the more Rep Points you get the more Green Squares. The text when you hover your mouse of those green squares also changes. To begin with, everyone has a status of "Has not yet reported to flight training". As you get more rep points, this will change to things like " Is an Ace!".

So there you have it! If you think someone deserves a Rep Point please do hit the icon & let your friends know you appreciate their input to the Forum activity.

If you have any queries please post them here so others can learn from them as well.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 08-08-2015 at 17:19.

Thanks for that explanation, now can I ask a dumb question(s):

1.What determines my 'advance' up through the ranks?
    2.What determines my 'experience' (I assume that's what the little green bars are under my flag)?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    Thanks for that explanation, now can I ask a dumb question(s):

1.What determines my 'advance' up through the ranks?
    2.What determines my 'experience' (I assume that's what the little green bars are under my flag)?
    G'day Wayne! Mate NOT a dumb question at all.

First Rank is achieved by the number of posts you contribute. You will notice you are now a First Ltn. with 2 Pips. Thats because you have posted over 100 posts. The next rank Captain takes a lot more & Majors rank a lot,lot more.

Your second question regarding the Green squares. This is based on Reputation & the more points you get the more squares. Again it gets harder as you gain Rep as the Target score becomes further apart after 100, 200, 300 etc & the jump from 500 to 1000 is the biggest.

Hope that clears up your queries.

Thanks Barry - that is what I sort-of thought but had no way of testing

Thanks Barry, very useful thread.

Marco

I don't think anyone has reached 1000 rep yet, have they?

If you, clipper or Rob haven't, I can't think of anyone else who could have.

I know that Clipper and I have, but am not sure about anyone else. I will check.
    If your green blocks say "Has become an ace of aces" you have 1000 rep points.
    That is all I can find out.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 11-14-2012 at 00:00.

I had noticed the other day a 'value' given for rep points. Do higher ranks get to give more points?

Quote Originally Posted by HTRAINo View Post
    I had noticed the other day a 'value' given for rep points. Do higher ranks get to give more points?
    Yes Hayden indeed we do. I currently give 20. It does make you more careful about giving out points when they add so much weight though. Wen I only had a couple of points I could spread them like confetti, but now you really have to be worthy.
    Kyte.

I could spread them like confetti, but now you really have to be worthy
    Yummmmm confetti !!! But only without almonds

Marco

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Yes Hayden indeed we do. I currently give 20. It does make you more careful about giving out points when they add so much weight though. Wen I only had a couple of points I could spread them like confetti, but now you really have to be worthy.
    Kyte.
    so that is why I could not work it out...

Hmmm. Can't see where to check for reputation. I mouse over my window under the national flag, and no number appears.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_espo View Post
    Hmmm. Can't see where to check for reputation. I mouse over my window under the national flag, and no number appears.
    Reputation points are given by fellow members, and as such, are not automatic. They are given by folks clicking the green thumbs up button below the poster's name, etc. You will be notified when you receive rep points. You can receive them by posting helpful info to people, posting interesting work, making folks laugh, basically anything that a reader feels is worthy of some sort of recognition.

You can check the amount of rep points you have on your profile. If there isn't a tab for rep points, then you haven't received any yet. Hope this helps.

Yes. No tab for rep points. Guess I don't have any yet...

Quote Originally Posted by mike_espo View Post
    Yes. No tab for rep points. Guess I don't have any yet...
    you do now

Kyte.

I only give a measly 6. You're more like Rep on steroids.

Kyte.

How do you find out what you're rep is worth & how does it's value go up? I always assumed it was 1 = 1...I've been spreading it fast & loose, but then again, I like to make sure I "thank" a lot of you for your contributions.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post

How do you find out what you're rep is worth & how does it's value go up? I always assumed it was 1 = 1...I've been spreading it fast & loose, but then again, I like to make sure I "thank" a lot of you for your contributions.

The higher your own rep gets the more you get to give I believe Rob.
    The easy way to check your own rep is to go to someones profile you wish to give rep to. Check their rep and then give them rep for their post. Re check and you will see how much you have added.
    Your own rep is currently four.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post

If you go to your profile page and click on the settings tab you can view your rep power (scroll down). You should be higher than six (probably seven) since you have an extra pip (300 +) compared to me.

Last night I made some adjustments to the Rep system. It still works in the same manor, but some of the requirements have been tweaked. The biggest change is that I have capped the maximum amount of Rep Points any single user can give out. That is currently set to 5 points. Now the "bigger" members can give out Rep Points without having to worry about over weighting the system.

Very good information. Many thanks.

I applaud this decision Herr Oberst.
    Now I can stop making lists of credit worthy members until their total gets to what I consider a correct level for me to dish out points. With the best will in the world it was at best a bit hit and miss.
    Rob.

Now I can stop making lists of credit worthy members until their total gets to what I consider a correct level for me to dish out points. With the best will in the world it was at best a bit hit and miss.
    Rob.
    Swing away Merrill.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Swing away Merrill.
    Rob.

Rob.
    Agreed. As my own has been rising I'd been getting more self conscious about giving.

Swing away Merrill.
    Rob.

Bet you thought Herr Oberst was going a bit crazy, eh?

The new change makes great sense...not that I am anywhere close to being a power user, but I would not want rep power to influence a decision for folks to give rep for a post or a review. Salute, Herr Oberst!

The biggest change is that I have capped the maximum amount of Rep Points any single user can give out. That is currently set to 5 points.
    Did you adjust the scale as well? I seem to recall I could already give out more than 5 points at a pop, and I don't even have a gold medal yet.

I'm curious to see if this change will expediate or delay that milestone...
    Last edited by Pseudotheist; 09-13-2013 at 13:53.

The number of points needed for each medal has not changed yet. The 5 point limit is already in effect.

The number of points needed for each medal has not changed yet. The 5 point limit is already in effect.
    I was asking about the scale for giving out rep. If you awarded 4 points each time before the adjustment, do you still award 4 now?

Maybe. Other settings were changed that could effect the rep power of users that were not at or over the new 5 point cap. It just depends on how each member falls into the new rule set.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    The new change makes great sense...not that I am anywhere close to being a power user, but I would not want rep power to influence a decision for folks to give rep for a post or a review. Salute, Herr Oberst!
    I'll Second that!
    The number of Rep points I awarded made me restrict my awarding somewhat!

Time to post... this thread was useful. Thanks much. Clears it up for me. "Das Phantom"

Default Most Helpful!

I just finished reading most of this section. Very helpful for us newbs. Thank you!

I am going to test adding a pic here, but have a question about signature blocks...

Do I need to be a paid memeber to add a Sig block?

Thanks again,

FF
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AVGFatalFlawLogo.jpg  

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the site. The first two posts in this thread will tell you all you need to know about being a paid member and what all you get with that.

Hey Barry, thanks for pointing me to this thread, seems to be clear enough for me
    Cheers,
    Guus

LOOP

The rank that some have. Captain, General, Major and so on, Is that apointed to you by your "Wingcomander"?
    It looks like your rank is separated from both rep-Points and post-count..
    So how do you rise in rank?

(more silly questions )

By number of your posts. If you are silver or gold member (now). More posts mean higher rank
    For example: when you will be a member, you will be a captain for your number of posts

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    By number of your posts. If you are silver or gold member (now). More posts mean higher rank
    For example: when you will be a member, you will be a captain for your number of posts
    But that can't be right. There are members with a postcount well over a 1000 that don't have any rank at all.
    I'm not on a hunt for a higher rank, just curious on how it works.

Because they are not paying (silver or gold) members. That is importat condition for officers rank. That is how it works now.

LOOP

Because they are not paying (silver or gold) members. That is importat condition for officers rank. That is how it works now.
    Ok! Now I got it . Thanks for explaining

No problem at all. By the way, it is not bad to want.know more about rank system - it is a part of motivation system here on the Aerodrome. Same as medals (which are now a little more democratic). Everything that motivate members to make post or be active is good

LOOP

No problem at all. By the way, it is not bad to want.know more about rank system - it is a part of motivation system here on the Aerodrome. Same as medals (which are now a little more democratic). Everything that motivate members to make post or be active is good
    I agree.

I hadn't realized that is what the membership benefit meant either. I figured it was just some extra image, not that you couldn't hold that rank. Thanks for asking the question, and thanks for the answer.

We are also talking at this time about adding enlisted ranks for users that are not Silver or Gold members.

Enlisted ranks sounds great. I also like the officer ranks restricted to membership status. Those who lead earn the rank, and more often than not the leaders on this site are members.

Aahh, i might get the chance to become a lance-corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark1430 View Post
    Aahh, i might get the chance to become a lance-corporal
    Pity there is no major Major Major

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast