Ares Games

Thread: movie question

Default movie question

in the movie "fly boys" how close are the plane markings?

Truth<------------------------------------------------- >Flyboys

Some markings WERE historical, but were copped from other aircracft. I am sure they wanted the audiance to be able to instantly recognise which plane belonged to whom, so they picked out some remarkable insignia from different planes. Imagine that, Hollywood distorting the truth!

Maybe not historical, but they did look good!

I didn't realize all German pilots flew red DR1's except that 1 guy in his black one.

I recall seeing an online interview with the director and some others where they discussed the red triplanes. They said they knew the planes should be Albatros' and they knew if they werre Dr.Is then they shouldn't be red, but US audiences also "knew" that every German WW1 aeroplane was a red triplane, so they were forced to go with popular opinion rather than fact. After reading that I cut them a bit more slack.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    They said they knew the planes should be Albatros' and they knew if they werre Dr.Is then they shouldn't be red, but US audiences also "knew" that every German WW1 aeroplane was a red triplane, so they were forced to go with popular opinion rather than fact. After reading that I cut them a bit more slack.
    I remember seeing this interview. Too bad they chose to pander to our alleged "knowledge". Imagine what the American movie-goer would "know" if they had done it correctly...

I did enjoy the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullduggery View Post
    I didn't realize all German pilots flew red DR1's except that 1 guy in his black one.
    I didn't realize propellors could saw off vertical stabilizers.

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith13 View Post
    I remember seeing this interview. Too bad they chose to pander to our alleged "knowledge". Imagine what the American movie-goer would "know" if they had done it correctly...

I did enjoy the movie.

Not a big fan of this one. (the movie)

It's certainly badly flawed, but I much prefer it to the 2008 'Red Baron'; fortunately the brick I keep handy to throw at the TV is made of styrofoam!

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    I didn't realize propellors could saw off vertical stabilizers.
    They can -- once. :)

Look up Soviet "Taran" attacks during the early stages of the German invasion in '41.

Never saw this one or Red Tails. Bought the Red Baron for the flying sceans. Have to get a few new movies at Historicon.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I recall seeing an online interview with the director and some others where they discussed the red triplanes. They said they knew the planes should be Albatros' and they knew if they werre Dr.Is then they shouldn't be red, but US audiences also "knew" that every German WW1 aeroplane was a red triplane, so they were forced to go with popular opinion rather than fact. After reading that I cut them a bit more slack.
    Pretty much the same reason they had the British Dragoons in "The Patriot" wear red coats when they should have been in Green.
    A shame most of Hollywood wants to entertain instead of educating, and not realizing you can do both at the same time
    Karl

That was probably because if they were in green coats the audience would be totally confused. All an American audience knows is that the"bad guys" wore red.
    Considering all the other gross inaccuracies in that movie, that was minor.
    And while Banaste Tarrington was ruthless by 18th Century standards, the British legion was not the SS.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
    That was probably because if they were in green coats the audience would be totally confused. All an American audience knows is that the"bad guys" wore red.
    Considering all the other gross inaccuracies in that movie, that was minor.
    And while Banaste Tarrington was ruthless by 18th Century standards, the British legion was not the SS.

Jim
    That was exactly the reason the production staff gave to the re-enactors who were advising on historical accuracy (yes they did ask for that). Also most of the autrocities committed that inspired those in the movie were done by various militias (on both sides), not the regular troops.
    OTOH, the firing drill was accurate
    Karl