Ares Games

Thread: WGFM: Naval Aces of World War I [2 Vols] (Osprey)

Default WGFM: Naval Aces of World War I [2 Vols] (Osprey)

Submit a Book Review
    Book Title:
    Naval Aces of World War I (Part 2)
    Author:
    Jon Guttman
    ISBN:
    978-1-84908-664-6
    Category:
    History
    Format:
    Paperback
    Summary:
    The usual format for an Osprey book in that it gives a general introduction to the subject followed by sections devoted to the various maritime units of each contending nation with potted biographies of each of their leading Aces.
    The pictures do give some extra useful information on seaplanes and flying boats hitherto not covered.This, together with some insights into the actions in the Adriatic and Baltic seas,is what made the book more than the usual long list of "he did this and then this" to which we have become accustomed. Yes the lists are still there, but contain information about some of the lesser known Aces, as well as the Brumowskis and Banfields.

Rob.

Attachment 63409
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 10-21-2012 at 07:01. Reason: cover photo added

Just bought this book, mainly because of the fact I couldn't have just have Part 1 all on its own. I agree with Rob, it covers some of the more esoteric aspects of Naval Aviation.

Default WGF: Naval Aces of World War 1 (Pt 1) (Osprey)

Submit a Book Review
    Book Title:
    Naval Aces of World War 1 - Part 1
    Author:
    Jon Guttman
    ISBN:
    978 1 84908 345 4
    Category:
    Reference
    Format:
    Paperback
    Summary:
    I think the best thing about this book are the 29 side profiles and 7 top-down colour plates, including Nieuport 11s, Pups, Triplanes, 1 ˝ Strutters, Camels, DH4s etc. They really bring the book alive, along with the interesting B&W photos of planes and the pilots who are discussed in the written text. All the naval aces covered in this Part 1 of “Naval Aces” flew for the British Royal Naval Air Service and include pilots from Britain, Canada, New Zealand, Australia etc as well as American volunteers.

Many famous flyers are followed but for me the text was not all that interesting, often descending into little more than a list of pilots who downed enemy planes on particular days. I fully realize that the information is drawn on what is available from squadron records and so on, but unfortunately I found that a lot of it wasn't all that stimulating. I admit that I struggled with it and it took me longer to read than it should have. There a few gems there of personal stories if you look, but the prize is definitely in the illustrations.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails naval rearcover.jpg   naval front.jpg  

These books are a fantastic resource for anyone interested in WW1 naval aviation. John Guttman is a recognised expert on the subject. These books are both available FOR DOWNLOAD to members on www.scribd.com.

I am particularly interested in the history of the Marineflieger. Whilst the use of Zeppelins by the Kaiserliche Marine is well documented the same cannot be said for their fixed wing units. I recently discovered that copies of the German Navy's records captured in 1945 and dating back to 1822 are held on microfiche in a US National Archives in Maryland, check out this youtube lecture - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5fHhKs7rDk. If you are a researcher (amateur or otherwise) you will find it fascinating.

Thumbs up

Yes these are great books & I have both of them.
    Invaluable to anyone even vaguely interested in the RNAS!

Similar Missions

1. WGFM: Sopwith Pup Aces of World War 1 (Osprey)
    By john snelling in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-30-2020, 00:36
  2. WGFM: Albatros Aces of World War 1 (Osprey)
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 12:07
  3. WGFM: Early German Aces of World War I (Osprey)
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 12:04
  4. WGFM: Italian Aces of WW I (Osprey)
    By BobP in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-23-2012, 01:02
  5. Osprey Naval Aces of World War 1 Part 2
    By Burt in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-30-2011, 15:04