Ares Games

Thread: saw this and thought of good ol clipper

Default saw this and thought of good ol clipper

SOPWITH PYTHON
    With the operational success of the “Camel”, the Sopwith design team set out to produce their most radical and ambitious fighter yet
    The Sopwith Python took to the air in September of 1918. Despite its unorthodox look the” Python” was a structurally sound machine. Highly maneuverable and armed with four belt fed Vickers machine guns, twice the firepower of most of its German counterparts, the Python was an unnerving sight to the German Imperial Air Service. Placing the two power plants beside each other counteracted the problem of gyroscopic rotation that plagued the F1 “Camel”. Landings proved to be more difficult as both pilots concentrated on working in tandem with each other. Usually the crewman on the port side flew the machine while the crewman on the starboard side kept both Bentley power plants firing. The duel controls were interchangeable

Only a handful of Pythons were produced and only two found their way to combat squadrons on the Western front. There are no reported combat victories by either machine.
    No examples of this unique aircraft survive today
    the only picture i could find is by our very own rOEN911

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the_sopwith___python___by_roen911-d4joggx.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	46926
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 05-27-2012 at 16:18.

ooooo! a new gauntlet has been tossed! I did the Me 109 zwilling as well as the P-82 and the best was the He-111Z five engine tow plane for the Me 332(?) I also have been known to throw together an occaisional Caproni triple triplane Ca 60 I think it was, thanks for the temptation, I do have a pair of Shapeways Sopwith tripes primed . . .
    Clipper in rehab

Also working on a Fokker V8 . . . there are model parts all over the table! What carnage! What fun!
    Clipper choppin'

Can't believe that the two wing connections in the middle were strong enought to tame two Camels.

To be honest, I can't find any reference to this plane, anywhere. Does anyone have anything??
    Karl

sirosis o liver, One word, Unbelievable!!! I never new it existed. Would love to build one. Awesome find.

Fabric Flyer

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    for the Me 332(?)
    Me 321. Powered model was Me 323.

Not sure this python thing really happened either, . . . : ) clipper

Isn't that the picture ROEN put up as a practical joke?

Would look cool though, even if it would sdnap in the middle...

Dave

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown