Ares Games

Thread: Ares Caproni Ca 3 Repaint?!!!

Default Ares Caproni Ca 3 Repaint?!!!

So I double ordered the bombers. I wanted to help our sponsor and my local game store, cost me big time, but too bad : ) That way I have some new victims for my building bench! And what is cooler than a torpedo bomber, right?

First the nose gear has to go, quick slice with a razor blade and you are committed!

Clean up with a sanding block.

Check the drawing . . . mix the paint! Make sure its the right color when it dries.

Let the painting begin!

Use a nice fresh flat brush, watch out for pre-painted parts to keep them they way you want them

While you are at it, this is a good time to work in the missing struts. I started with the front cabane vertical struts first. Cut from 0.030" styrene rod, used thick CA to hold them in place

Next the diagonal struts from the leading edge of the top wing to the nice detent on the gun ring

Engine boom front struts are cut to length then bent as shown

The other side. Then paint!

Rudder insignia painted, torpedo cut from 1/8" dowel with card stock fins

Bit of free hand lettering for the serial number and legend

Close to done, note the 1/8" dia hole in mounting peg to clear the torpedo! Drill it as close to base of fuselage as possible so it still has enough pin to engage the altitude pegs.

Bottoms up!

Top side, added roundels top and bottom

Nose looks great with all the struts!

Almost before and after . . .

Ah, all done! Now for the other white one . . .

Clipper back to painting the never ending herd . . . .

Another fantastic step-by-step article on how Clipper does his magic. Bravo!

And I'm looking forward to seeing some more of those Caudron R.XIs!

Excellent work, envy your collection.

Wow David, that looks great.

Nice job as always David, well done.

VERY nice job.

Great work, almost makes me want to go back and repaint some WW1.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rob
    Sorties Flown

Very nice. Why do I suspect you will also build a ship to target in the near future.

Clipper that is awesome work. You are to be commended for it.

Very nice! The addition of the torpedo is really good.

This is the first recorded repaint and re moding of one of the new bombers.
    Congratulations David, you have done it again.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Another supurb example of Clipper Magic!

Two Capronis, bought many moons ago.

The torpedo variant looks really good - too bad only two were made.

I have to say, I like this paint scheme better than the original model. Stroke of genius mounting the torpedo through the peg, too. Well done!

Yeah, I am thinking the tan and weathered one in William Green's Color Profiles of World War 1 Combat Planes will be my next victim. I have yet really tried to do the weathering I normally do on one of these little guys!
    Clipper running low on Caproni Ca3's to repaint . . .

The torp looks really good. Now that I have seen your elegant method of mounting it,I am now thinking about if I can modify my Short Seaplane in the same way.
    Rob.

Right on! I moved my mounting peg back behind the torpedo on my Shorts's.

Looking into a set of targets . . . Clipper on watch

Next up is a way to be able to detatch the torp for dropping. I have a lot of rare earth magnets for my rear gunners that are doing nothing at the moment.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Next up is a way to be able to detatch the torp for dropping. I have a lot of rare earth magnets for my rear gunners that are doing nothing at the moment.
    Rob.
    ...and the instillation of a little motor to make them run... which reminds me, anyone remember that 1/72 model Spitfire with the motorised propeller from the 1960s-70s? Now THAT was an impressive toy!

Rob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    ...and the instillation of a little motor to make them run... which reminds me, anyone remember that 1/72 model Spitfire with the motorised propeller from the 1960s-70s? Now THAT was an impressive toy!
    Oh NOooooo! Quickly, delete those posts before he sees them! Those are ideas that we shouldn't give him
    Karl

Like it a lot - But I love the cow-cammo planes!

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Oh NOooooo! Quickly, delete those posts before he sees them! Those are ideas that we shouldn't give him
    Karl
    Bwahahaha!! (evil laugh) here is the picture of the spitfire & box.

The 1/72 stuka was also interesting, there was a little catch on the side. When the catch was pushed, the stuka dropped its bomb. You could put a cap (from a toy cap gun) inside the bomb so that it went off with a bang when it hit the ground.

Now if you could rig up a 1/144 with a motorized propeller and a torpedo that went bang when you dropped it, I for one would be very impressed. That would be worth a few rep points I reckon, don't you?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spitfire stuka.jpg  

Well Nigel, I have to give it to you there old chap.
    I thought I knew my Dinky Toys, but I have never seen that pair before.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 05-30-2012 at 03:24.

Well Nigel, I have to give it to you there old chap.
    I thought I knew my Dinky Toys, but I have never seen tat pair before.
    Rob.
    I still have the "remains" of the Spitfire - minus the canopy as it tended to be a bit loose. I think the tail wheel is gone too - bit fragile. I had the motor running again a few years back when I found a small enough battery. The engine did not really want to start - it had to be started by flicking the prop. I did a hell of a lot of flicking, I can tell you...

My brother had the Stuka - I wonder if he still has? unfortunately the photo is not of my toy, it is from an auction site.

[QUOTE=Dark Horse;149433]I still have the "remains" of the Spitfire - minus the canopy as it tended to be a bit loose. I think the tail wheel is gone too - bit fragile. I had the motor running again a few years back when I found a small enough battery. The engine did not really want to start - it had to be started by flicking the prop. I did a hell of a lot of flicking, I can tell you...
    QUOTE]

Do you mean to tell me that they did not supply it with a Trolly Acc!
    Rob.

Very nice repaint and modifictions David

[QUOTE=Flying Officer Kyte;149436]
    I still have the "remains" of the Spitfire - minus the canopy as it tended to be a bit loose. I think the tail wheel is gone too - bit fragile. I had the motor running again a few years back when I found a small enough battery. The engine did not really want to start - it had to be started by flicking the prop. I did a hell of a lot of flicking, I can tell you...
    QUOTE]

Do you mean to tell me that they did not supply it with a Trolly Acc!
    Rob.
    That's a trap question isn't it - you are just waiting for me to say I used my own finger. Well, I am not going to say that...

[QUOTE=Dark Horse;149984]

That's a trap question isn't it - you are just waiting for me to say I used my own finger. Well, I am not going to say that...
    Here you go Nigel. I found you one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1940s Trolly Accumulator..jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	48171

Rob.

[QUOTE=Flying Officer Kyte;150481]

Here you go Nigel. I found you one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1940s Trolly Accumulator..jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	48171

Rob.
    Excellent! I have always had a fondness for all things Airfix!

[QUOTE=Dark Horse;150665]

Excellent! I have always had a fondness for all things Airfix!
    That's good to hear. My first essay into Airfix aircraft building was a Sopwith Camel over 50 years ago. That must have been what started the bug off.
    Rob.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

This is the first recorded repaint and re moding of one of the new bombers.
    Congratulations David, you have done it again.
    Rob.
    Hey, that's true David! That's awesome. The repaint and adaptation are fabulous too!

With the re print of the Caproni I thought some might want to do some upgrades and enhancements resurrected from Clippers Book of Secrets!

I can't wait to see.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Just to echo what other have said nice work David

A great piece of work, David!

Despite the resurrection of a pretty old thread... you're absolutely correct, David. Brilliant work by Clipper and his elves!