Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WW1 - Ace Cards Promo Pack available at BGG store

OK, I am late to the party....I discovered these on E-bay and ordered two sets as my E-bay bucks were about to expire. They look pretty cool, but one set would have been enough. Should be a nice prize for a future tournament.

Anyone lnow if these will be continued or was it a one time deal?

I sure like the cards with the Ace eplination to the tokens. We have never used ACE abilities yet as it always seems to much to remember, but these seem to solve that problem.

I've never heard if they will continue to make them or not. I've not even checked to see if BGG still has them in stock or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I've never heard if they will continue to make them or not. I've not even checked to see if BGG still has them in stock or not.
    Well mine came from BGG via eBay. I would not mind seeing more or even a set of generic Ace reference cards.

ordered mine that shipping is fantastic

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Just recieved a set of these in the post after ordering on EBay.
    These look like a VERY good way to handle ace skills and I kind of hope they will continue with this.
    It might be even a good idea to add an extra pilot skill card to future airplane packs.
    This is where I got them from
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wings-of-G...item2c6704eb71
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 11-06-2012 at 13:56.

Let us hope that someone from Ares sees this post Robert.
    I think that a generic set of Ace cards is just what is needed to finish off the rules in a well rounded fashion, and of course as in all these matters we would all need more than one set for the bigger games.
    Rob.

I may have to order a set or two. Are there just 7 cards in the set or multiple abilities cards and 7 ace cards? I just want to know how many sets one needs.

Well for cards you could also use the format available here http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1129, which has the ones published in the new rule set as well as a number of optional ones.

Quote Originally Posted by DJBAR View Post
    I may have to order a set or two. Are there just 7 cards in the set or multiple abilities cards and 7 ace cards? I just want to know how many sets one needs.
    7 aces and each skill each of them needs, so 1 set is enough. If you habve a second, you can of course give duplicate skills to other pilots in your scenarios, but 1 set is complete in itself.

Ok ..I succumbed to the urge and ordered one...

C'mon, there is even a Belgian ace in it...

Why do you think I succumbed?

I have had mine for several months now, there was a post on the ARES sight or this sight saying BGG had them so I ordered mine, at the time I was under the impression that they were a limited production, but what the hell they are a good and useful set of cards and yes I did get mine post free.

Just one note, the Ace Skills Pack does NOT contain all ace skills mentioned in the WoG rulebook, rather only the skills used by the aces included.

Cool

I got 2 packs so can use for my personal pilots who achieve Acedom.

I bought one pack and used it last Saturday at the Museum of Flight. Actually one of the players used the Richtofen set and had to fly against 6 Allied scouts. He shot down 1 before the other 5 finally got him. It was great fun and I'm thinking that a second pack might be handy. Lloyd

Nice to know!
    Do you maybe have pictures of the game session within the Museum?

Any intention of bringing out a generic set with all the Ace skills on them Andrea?
    I'm sure that players would want multi packs of these for all their aces.
    Rob.

That's being discussed, but it still to see if as a little set or as a part of a larger one including other stuff.

Tony Pflanzer took some nice photos which are in his album section. My camera wasn't quite up to the task that day. Lloyd
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Nice to know!
    Do you maybe have pictures of the game session within the Museum?

Here they are:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=1789
    Great indeed!!!
    Is it possible to post a couple on BGG? Can somebody do tat? May I do that myself, crediting Tony Pflanzer?

I just sent Tony a message letting him know about your request. He should be getting back sometime soon. Lloyd
    Here they are:
    Great indeed!!!
    Is it possible to post a couple on BGG? Can somebody do tat? May I do that myself, crediting Tony Pflanzer?

That's being discussed, but it still to see if as a little set or as a part of a larger one including other stuff.
    Thanks Andrea.
    I'll keep an eye open for them sometime in the future then.
    Rob.

I don't know if anyone here follows _Knights of the Dinner Table_, but: Whenever I see "Ace Cards" being mentioned, I cannot help thinking of the recurring _KoDT_ plot device "Player Advantage Coupons".... :)

Here they are:
    Great indeed!!!
    Angiolillo,
    Please use any that you feel are fitting. It is a public album for all to enjoy.
    Tony

Thanks a lot, I think that they are really great and a pleasure to see. I will credit you and link to your album!

I'm still gonna lobby for more Aces Packs, in both WWI and WWII... and IF an LE Zeppelin happens, ya GOTTA do a card each for the team of Cadbury & Leckie, who between the two of 'em accounted for THREE cigars. (One together, one each with other crewmates; Atkey bagged one with IIRC Gass in the GIB seat.)
    Last edited by Diamondback; 11-08-2012 at 19:50. Reason: spelling on Leckie's name

We shall!

To close the museum thread, in the past we also had some fun nearby playing WoW on the Bracciano lake, at the Italian Air Force museum. I think that these are great occasion to enjoy the game - and to show it to new people.

Name:  pic98502_md.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  55.6 KB

Thumbs up

We shall!

To close the museum thread, in the past we also had some fun nearby playing WoW on the Bracciano lake, at the Italian Air Force museum. I think that these are great occasion to enjoy the game - and to show it to new people.

Great Pic & atmosphere, Andrea!

[sigh] The Z.506 was a nice-looking bird. Pity seeing one live requires a trans-Atlantic flight....

Being inside that one. Pretty wonderful airplane, made with a layer of wood over the other on a shell. This specific one being an ambulance, that one even had a water system with a washbasin.

Once a friend of my father was at lunch with us. He was part of the Guidonia Experimental Center that tested Italian and foreign machines. The same unit of Colonnello Angelo Tondi, who tested a captured P-38 Lightning and then succesfully used it in Italian colors against US bombers. Anyway, once a B-24 landed in the southrenmost point of Sicily, saying they mistaked the place for Malta. He jumped with some colleagues on a Cant.Z 1007 bomber, land version of the 506, and went there to rescue the US bomber. He told me that the Cant.Z was a very elegant plane. All cables were neatly concealed within the walls, as I saw myself in the 506. Even if with some troubles - when the electrical turret was turned, light went down and you could sometime loose radio contact. Anyway, South they ent. When he entered the B-25, a rough metal structure with many cables just hang here and there, he was struck by the difference - he says that it was the instant he understood that Italy would loose the war in the end. Whle we were giving the finishing touches to a single elegant Cant.Z, US factories were hastly doing ten such B-25...

Ok, even more OT then!

Let me finish saying that the picture was taken on October 9, 2005, and that the largest Wings of War game session was played here with 25 players at the same table, one plane each (current record is 92).

Name:  pic97554_md.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  60.5 KB

Being inside that one. Pretty wonderful airplane, made with a layer of wood over the other on a shell. This specific one being an ambulance, that one even had a water system with a washbasin.
    I guessed from looking at it that it was the Z.506S model -- the front of the ventral bulge is lacking the glass needed for the bomb-aimer:

http://website.lineone.net/~remoslie...-airone-01.jpg .

[...]When he entered the B-25, a rough metal structure with many cables just hang here and there, he was struck by the difference - he says that it was the instant he understood that Italy would loose the war in the end. Whle we were giving the finishing touches to a single elegant Cant.Z, US factories were hastly doing ten such B-25...
    "Perfection is the enemy of Good-Enough." [Unknown]
    "But then, so is Inadequate." [Me >:) ][/QUOTE]

Vigna di Valle is on the shore of the lake. After the war, it was a base for a unit of Z.506 used for search and rescue, as ambulances and for other emercgencies. Maybe this one is a leftover from these times.

Vigna di Valle is on the shore of the lake. After the war, it was a base for a unit of Z.506 used for search and rescue, as ambulances and for other emercgencies. Maybe this one is a leftover from these times.
    Given the inadequate defensive armament of the combat models: I would be surprised if the survivor *wasn't* a non-combat job. (That said, not a few -506Ss got vaporized due to a "shoot first, shoot later, shoot some more, then when everyone's dead, try to ask a question or two" attitude among Allied pilots.)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    That said, not a few -506Ss got vaporized due to a "shoot first, shoot later, shoot some more, then when everyone's dead, try to ask a question or two" attitude among Allied pilots.
    ESPECIALLY RAF fighter-bombers on CAS, whose idea of "air support" was apparently "kill the people we're supporting along WITH the enemy"... had I been a platoon LT on the receiving end, I woulda ordered all weapons turned on that plane, then once down given the men one hour to tell him how they felt about his attempt to slaughter them however they liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    ESPECIALLY RAF fighter-bombers on CAS, whose idea of "air support" was apparently "kill the people we're supporting along WITH the enemy"...
    Not to say that the RAF wasn't by any means guilt-free however, people in glass houses...

From a cursory Google search:
    1942 - Pilots of the 1st American Volunteer Group (Flying Tigers) strafed retreating Commonwealth forces who were mistaken for an advancing Japanese column during the Burma Campaign, resulting in more than 100 casualties.
    1943 - General Omar Bradley recalled that his column was attacked by American A-36s in Sicily. The tanks lit yellow smoke flares to identify themselves to their own aircraft but the attacks continued, forcing the column to return fire which resulted in the downing of one aircraft. A parachuting pilot from the downed A-36 was brought before Bradley. 'You stupid sonofabitch!!' Bradley fumed. 'Didn't you see our yellow recognition signals!?' The pilot replied 'Oh, is that what that was?'.
    1944 - During Operation Cobra, bombs from the Eighth Air Force landed on American troops on two separate occasions.
    24 July, some 1,600 bombers flew in support of the opening bombardment for Cobra. Due to bad weather they were unable to see their targets; although some were recalled, and others declined to bomb without visibility, a number did. Inevitably some bombs hit US positions; 25 were killed and 131 wounded in this incident.
    25 July, the operation was repeated by 1,800 bombers of 8th Air Force. On this occasion, the weather was clear, but despite requests by First Army commander Gen. Omar Bradley to bomb east to west, along the front (in order to avoid creepback), the air commanders made their attack north to south, over Allied lines. As more and more bombs fell short, and US positions again were hit, 111 were killed and 490 wounded. Lieutenant General Lesley McNair was among the dead — the highest-ranking victim of American friendly fire.
    26 July, USAAF P-47s mistakenly strafed the US 644th Tank Destroyer Battalion near Perričres, France. 20 men were badly injured, but there were no fatalities.

And going back the other way:
    1943 - During the Allied Invasion of Sicily, Operation Husky, 144 C-47 transport planes passed over Allied lines shortly after a German air raid, and were mistakenly fired upon by U.S ground and naval forces. 23 planes were shot down and 37 damaged, resulting in 318 casualties including about 100 paratroopers killed.

Anyway, back to WWI Aces.

Besides friendly fire, to this sad row of mistakes I think that attacks to neutrals can be added - as Allied bombings on Switzerlands and dogfights with Swiss Bf.109 mistaken for German ones.

About civilian post-war use of military 506s, remember also that - cobelligerant or not - we lost the war. We were not supposed to be a military power any more. It took many dozens of years before we could have an aircraft carrier, for example, and we even had to call it "helicopter carrier" for a long while, putting Harriers on it in the end.

Re Operation Cobra; my father was a togaleer on one of B-17's, my uncle one of the troops accidentally bombed. According to my dad, the problem was the instructions were to drop into the smoke. The wind shifted.

Besides friendly fire, to this sad row of mistakes I think that attacks to neutrals can be added - as Allied bombings on Switzerlands and dogfights with Swiss Bf.109 mistaken for German ones.
    As _Seventy Maxims of Maximally-Effective Mercenaries_ states: "'Close-air support' and 'friendly fire' should be easier to tell apart"....

About civilian post-war use of military 506s, remember also that - cobelligerant or not - we lost the war. We were not supposed to be a military power any more. It took many dozens of years before we could have an aircraft carrier, for example, and we even had to call it "helicopter carrier" for a long while, putting Harriers on it in the end.
    Lots of folks found themselves having to use WW2-era equipment post-war due to a lack of anything else being available -- in some cases, equipment which had belonged to the enemy until recently. Best (worst?) example would be France -- they had to use a lot of "leftover" German gear in Europe, including some stuff they had to build themselves (IIRC, they built some Fieseler Storchs, some Ju-52s and completed the He 274); and in Indochina, they were using some leftover *Japanese* acft. along with the mishmash of Lend-Lease gear:

http://worldatwar.net/chandelle/v3/v3n1/frcoin.html .

Any review of these cards? I shouldn't be in the fence, but I've really never used the ace rules in this game if you can believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by sparty View Post
    Any review of these cards? I shouldn't be in the fence, but I've really never used the ace rules in this game if you can believe that.
    It is a grand idea. But the promo's are just that. They represent an incomplete set that are adequate to demonstrate some of the ace abilities and skills available in the Rules and Accessory Pack (RAP) Rulebook for Wings of Glory (WW1 version).

For a campaign, regular or solo, you will want to invest in the RAP box set and utilize these new and full set of ace options. They are definitely worth the price of the set. However, that said, I prefer the cards of the promo set to the tokens provided in the RAP set, and have made a set similar to those for those of us who prefer the cards, available here - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1074 - have fun!

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

I`ve used them a few times now and find them a useful quick reference for the relevent ace skill.
    I also find them a handy place to put the skill and recovery counters once the skill has been used so the only skill counters on the control panel are the active ones.
    Which helps keep track of things when using a pilot with a number of skills like MvR.
    These are I think a very good idea and I`ve now made myself a few extra cards in the same style to cover the skills not covered in the promo set.
    I hope we will eventually see a full official set and some more pilot data cards from Ares at some point.
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 11-25-2012 at 09:42.

Great idea Robert . Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

I`m wondering if it might be a good idea to produce a new box set containing a complete set of ace cards, ace pilot data cards, some rules for pilot development and campaign play, perhaps with maps?
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 11-26-2012 at 03:42.

Work in progress.
    That will be a very welcome addition to the game Andrea - and thanks for the continued development of this wonderful game

Thanks to all of you for following it - if it was not for you, it would have stoppeds many years ago.

Thanks to all of you for following it - if it was not for you, it would have stoppeds many years ago.
    If it were not for you it would never have started, and none of us would have made the friends all over the world that we have Andrea. This is become more than just a game, it is uncovering lost data, encouraging people to delve into history, and make models, enjoy family time together, and much more.
    For all that we thank you! Whatever happens in the end, that legacy will remain.
    Rob.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast