Ares Games

Thread: Newray WWI Planes

Jack Hooligan

Default Newray WWI Planes

Have y'all seen these beauties?

http://www.3000toys.com/catalog/item...W-RAY20227-SET

I saw a few in person last night. Quite a bit larger than the WoG planes, but look nice for display.

One thing I don't get. These things seem to be even more niche than WoG (I could be wrong) and they are far larger, but cost less. About half the price.
    Can anyone 'splain the economics behind this?

It's always hard to say why one thing is cheaper than another. Typically it comes down to manufacturing, packing, shipping, and margin though. My guess is that one of these items may be significantly different from what Ares does. My guess would be that it's some kind of margin related issue...maybe a closeout, or some other kind of deal where they were wholesale VERY cheap and the margins are tiny on them.

I have the set -- on the rare occasions I get to run a _WoW_ event at a con, I use them as table decor.

I bought a few of these for my kids to build. They are somewhere between very tough models or rather weak toys in my opinion. They aren't the easiest to put together, but they are decent models that my kids can play with. Basically the fusalage is split long ways and is held together by steel pins. The wings screw together through the stuts and are screwed to the plane with a screw that connects the landing gear assemble to the plane. So they stay together pretty well except for the rudder has a tendency to fall out. Little bits tend to break off when you drop them. They look pretty good though! They are about six inches long with a similar wing span.

My guess is they have larger production runs, I've seen them in many Hobby Town USA shops. I would also say that larger models are easier to cast and have fewer quality control issues, bringing down the price. You may be paying more for WoG planes for the design process. The research on the plane speed for the cards, the attention to detail with the markings, etc.

I was tempted to make bases and play a WoG game on a gym floor with these!

I have the Camel. It is Ok but in no way compares to what I would call a 'real' model. Nice 'eye-candy' for use on a demo table. I hadn't thought of using them on the foor. I wonder how big the maneouver cards would be - A4 perhaps?

Well the minis for Wings of Glory comes with printed cards, flight pegs and a base. All those different parts have different production costs. Also, these planes are produced by the 10s if not 100 thousands at a time (they are sold in stores like Hobby Town USA) while are game pieces are produced more in the tune of thousands.

Yep, I have the whole set. Not really a "real" model per se, but I had fun spending a couple evenings putting them together, & they make nice decor.

What scale are these planes?

The WWI set is nice and not very expensive but you you check the other 1/144 models? A B-17 is over $25.00. Nice for display pieces.

Similar Missions

1. WGF [Sale] WOW WWI and WWII planes, old gaming mat
    By hawk02 in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-17-2014, 03:37
  2. WGFA: First War Planes, The
    By Baldrick62 in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-21-2014, 00:51
  3. Da Planes!!!!!! Boss!!!! Da Planes!!!!!
    By The Cowman in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 18:59
  4. WW1 Bi-Planes & Tri-Planes Airshow
    By richard m schwab in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 05:18
  5. What planes to use for BOF/BOB?
    By Jager in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-17-2011, 16:22