Ares Games

Thread: Airbrush turntable (easy and at no cost at all)

Lightbulb Airbrush turntable (easy and at no cost at all)

Hi there,

I'm still learning how to use my airbrush (daunting task!) and up until now, when applying a base coat or painting details, I used a round cardboard piece to put the object on and turned it between two bursts of paint.
    This was a less than perfect solution for my need to get the object in the right position.

So I searched at my FLKitS and FLGS and found "professional" airbrushing turntables from a variety of companies. But I loathe to pay up to €35 for an article that was used previously to put old style TV sets on! (I know, I'm cheap!)
    I even looked at Ikea and found a "cheese plateau" for less than €5, but it seems too large and heavy for my needs.

I'm a modeller, I like to build stuff: let's find a solution at home!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SM_DSC02408.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	45987
    This is my solution: two old CD or DVD spindles, a piece of discarded foam core and a tube that previously contained some incense sticks (mango if you must know!).
    Oh yes! And some "ceramic grease" that's lying around my workspace since aeons and of which I don't even know where it comes from or what it's used for initially...

Name:	SM_DSC02409.jpg 
Size:	264.7 KB 
ID:	45988
    First, I have drawn two concentric circles on the foam core. The smaller being the same diameter as the spindle-base (just to know where it should be glued) and the second at the needed dimension for the turntable's... table.
    Then I glued the spindle-base in place, taking care to get it as centred as possible, hence the first circle.

Name:	SM_DSC02410.jpg 
Size:	227.3 KB 
ID:	45989
    I then measured the total length of the two spindles' axles and cut the tube to the same length.
    I glued the tube onto the axle of the main/top part.

Name:	SM_DSC02411.jpg 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	45990
    Before I put the two spindles on top of each other, I lathered the bottom axle with the ceramic grease to ensure that the whole would turn smoothly.

Name:	SM_DSC02412.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	45991
    Put it together and voilą a perfectly economical turntable!

Name:	SM_DSC02413.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	45992
    This is what it looks like after one use...

What I like about it:
    • The price (of course)
    • The ease to build it
    • The relative sturdiness (don't put two lbs of white metal on it for too long)
    • The fact that I can put my (left) hand under the turntable to turn it very easily

One thing I like a bit less: it's just a tad too high for my "airbrushing booth", so I'll need to make another one (as I only use acrylics, I don't need a 'proper' booth with ventilation and such, so this is easily fixed).

Hope you like it!

PS: the picture have been taken after first use, not during the actual building.
    PPS: I just found a website explaining the same principle... Is there nothing left to invent?
    Last edited by petitbilbo; 05-20-2012 at 10:21. Reason: "ceramic gease"

Good idea,very nice job.

Great tip Bilbo!
    /Niclas

Very frugel and ingenius idea. Thanks for the tip.

In the words of an old beer commercial... "Brilliant!!!"