Ares Games

Thread: Bristol Scout, A & B gun

Default Bristol Scout, A & B gun

It's finally rained so I can have a day off training (monster cycling holiday in 2 weeks) and get back to painting.

Here's a couple of Bristol scouts I just finished. I found this picture of a twin gun scout and thought I want one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Twin scout.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	246.3 KB 
ID:	39599

So here they are:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0771.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	39600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0750.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	39601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0770.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	39602

I just made a couple of generic paint schemes, not based around anything particular. I used Cote d'arms linen and Vallejo brown violet, finished with a Reverisco pilot. The extra guns are left overs from a Shapeways Felixtowe.

I'm looking forward to testing these in action.

Ian

Nice, that twin gun ship looks cool!

Does look cool with the two guns!

Thumbs up

Great work, Ian!
    I like the "two tone" one with the twin guns which I presume were rigged to fire outside the prop arc.
    The Shuttleworth Pup is finished in that same CDL/PC10 paint scheme.

I think it had deflectors!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    I think it had deflectors!
    Ahhh, that is why the light coloured bits on the Prop.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

The light areas on the prop may indicate some sort of reinforcement. However, it was not unknown in the RNAS for machine guns to be rigged to fire through the propellor disc with no form of deflection or synchronisation whatsoever. If you returned from a sortie with more than about 5 bullet-holes in the prop, the prop was scrapped; otherwise they just plugged the holes and carried on.

Tede

Great work Ian! The detailed deflectors are very nice add.

Nice work.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Sweet, Ian!

Great photo of the real thing & lovely work up on the models Ian - shows that where there was a will there was a way !

Great job! I like the two-tone paint-job an thze double Lewis guns!

I am impressed with the whole concept of the paint job, the extra guns, and the aircraft itself which will add another element into the mix of the early war.
    Well done again Ian.
    Rob.

A number of the 24 initial production RNAS' Scout C aircraft were armed with single Lewis machine guns, sometimes with the Lewis gun mounted atop the upper wing centre section in the manner of the Nieuport 11, and even more common was an apparently very dubious choice of placement by some RNAS pilots, in mounting the Lewis gun on the forward fuselage of their Scout Cs, just as if it were a synchronized weapon (which it was not) firing directly forward and through the propeller arc; an action likely to result in serious propeller damage. The type of bullet-deflecting wedges as Roland Garros had tried on his Morane-Saulnier Type N monoplane were also tried on one of the RFC's last Scout Cs, No. 5303, but since this seemed, in this instance, to have also required the use of the Morane Type N's immense "casserole" spinner, which almost totally blocked cooling air from reaching this particular Scout C's 80-hp Le Rhône rotary engine, the deflecting-wedge concept for propeller protection from bullets was not pursued further with Bristol Scouts.[1][3]
    I think in game terms I'd have it roll a die for each shot, with an escalating chance of taking out its own engine.

Just a query re the two gun version
    It appears there is no automatic firing device fitted to either Lewis as such the pilot would have to reach out and pull the trigger on the Lewis. Is it realistic to believe that the pilot would take both hands of the control stick to fire both guns at the same time?
    My feeling is that only one gun would be fired at a time and as such the aircraft should continue using a B deck but use the standard arc of fire.
    Also for those that count ammo the Lewis's have only got the 48 round magazines on them.
    This would fit time frame wise as Lanoe Hawker didn't start using the 96 round mags until he was using the DH2.
    PS love the paint job.
    Linz