Ares Games

Thread: Book recommendation?

Default Book recommendation?

I'm new to World War II aviation history. Can anyone recommend some books for someone familiar with history, just not aviation history?

Thanks in advance.

Why not try looking here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/for...1-Book-Reviews
    WWII books have a WGS prefix, so you'll find them toward the back of the section.

Are you looking for something comprehensive, or do you have a certain campaign/theater in mind?

Something introductory that will get me started.

I would recommend going to a Barnes and Noble and looking in their bargain book section. If you live in the Briarwood in Queens there are some in your area. There are usually a few books on WWII and WWII aircraft that tend to be pretty basic with lots of photos and drawings and at a reasonable price.

Lang I belong to the Military Book Club and have many books from them for so many subjects. Also Military History Magazine is a good read. If you are looking for special type books check out Squadron.Com. They have models and many other things. I just got a good book I orders about Ju-88's and an Ospry boob about Italian WWI aces.

Probably the best starting point that I could recommend for WWII is "Air War" by Edward Jablonski. You can find them inexpensively on amazon.com or abebooks.com. It has been published as a single volume, two volumes, and four volumes, so make sure you are getting the entire set.

"America in the Air War" by Time/Life is not as comprehensive, but still a great starting point. In fact, any books in the Time/Life "Epic of Flight" series are nice fast reads.

Both will give you an overall idea of how the air war progressed in various theaters, and will whet your appetite for more specific information. Hope this helps.

Know this is an old thread but I love military aviation history. One of the best aviation books I've ever read was Black Thursday by Martin Caiden.

Why don't you do a Book Review for it on the Hobby Room sub forum Gary and earn yourself some brownie points towards a gong?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Didn't know I could do that, but I will! Thanks for the tip!

Rob, Thanks again for the tip. Went over and checked the thread and while it was extensive, I was amazed at some of the books that are not there. I will definitely do a write up on Black Thursday. Other great books I didn't see there were "First and the Last" by Adolph Galland, "Samurai" by Saburo Sakai and "Stuka Pilot" by Hans Rudel. I am a major airplane nut and have been reading airplane books since I was a kid. I've given away many books because there was no longer room in my house and I still have a ton. I'll pull out some of my old favorites and do some reviews on them as well. This is great, I get to combine fun with my favorite game with fun with my favorite pastime!