Ares Games
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flight of Giants

Users Country Flag

Name
    Chris
    Sorties Flown

(still drooling like that Celtic player)

They are very nice indeed. Real bombers. Can't wait.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Chris
    Sorties Flown

Smile

This is a managing card, whatever that is. This is going to be sooooo cooooool!

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_as...0060706133.jpg

Get this guy his FOTG now!
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 06-16-2010 at 23:43.

From the card one might think the Zeppellin is going to have FIVE machine guns!! Perhaps a B in front and two A on the sides.
    That is gong to be tough!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Chris
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Ducalutra View Post
    From the card one might think the Zeppellin is going to have FIVE machine guns!! Perhaps a B in front and two A on the sides.
    That is gong to be tough!
    I think you are right, or B,B,B and an A in the rear?

If you look at the image (assuming it's the card to be released, and not an unofficial piece), the double machine guns are on the sides, pointed backward. I'd say A-A and B in front.
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 06-16-2010 at 23:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducalutra;

If you look at the image (assuming it's the card to be released, and not an unofficial piece), the double machine guns are on the sides, pointed backward. I'd say A-A and B in front.
    Looks that way to me too.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 06-16-2010 at 23:24.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Do we know what damage decks will be released with Flight of the Giants?

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by usmc1855 View Post
    Do we know what damage decks will be released with Flight of the Giants?
    E & F decks.

Just kidding.

On a related not, Andrea sent me some scans of the draft maneuver cards for the Giants... these may not be what actually went to press.

I say! Pretty fast, aren't they?

@ Col. Hajj:
    I see you edited my post: did I write something wrong?

No, not at all. I just linked your image to one here on the site... some of us behind firewalls can't load the images from BBG.

I see
    Since we are on subject: how do I post a thumbnail of a pic? When I post pics they are sometimes very big, and I wouldn't like to "engulf" the thread..

All images are re-sized by the site so that the longest side is 800 px or less. If you attach the image instead of putting it inline, it will give a thumbnail and people will be required to click on it to open or save it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducalutra View Post
    I say! Pretty fast, aren't they?
    I'd imagine the short length of the straight is to counteract the larger size of the bomber card.

Perfectly true! Some of the bomber are longer, and since you move of the lenght of the plane + the lenght of the arrow, the arrow has to be shorter.

There is one damage deck in the box, and it is a B one since most of the machineguns on board of these planes are single ones (I mean, one for each arc of fire). There are exceptions, but you have plenty of A decks already (and the optional rule of drawing 2 B cards instead than one A), so giving more maneuvre decks was preferred to the option of giving another A deck.

Can't wait ....this is going to be an expensive summer...and then the minis !

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matias
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Rum Demon View Post
    I'd imagine the short length of the straight is to counteract the larger size of the bomber card.
    Good point.
    It has all sense...

Its look something hard to take down...

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Perfectly true! Some of the bomber are longer, and since you move of the lenght of the plane + the lenght of the arrow, the arrow has to be shorter.

There is one damage deck in the box, and it is a B one since most of the machineguns on board of these planes are single ones (I mean, one for each arc of fire). There are exceptions, but you have plenty of A decks already (and the optional rule of drawing 2 B cards instead than one A), so giving more maneuvre decks was preferred to the option of giving another A deck.
    'B' deck it is then.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    On a related not, Andrea sent me some scans of the draft maneuver cards for the Giants... these may not be what actually went to press.
    Note to self: Allow much time to play game if bomber is involved -- slower than a moose in molasses, and a cubic-buttload of hit points....

This is going to be the _WoW_ equivalent of _OGRE_, isn't it?

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

In Ogre you didn't have the explode card though.

Quote Originally Posted by krolik View Post
    In Ogre you didn't have the explode card though.:D
    Depends on whether or not one used the "Critical hit" optional rules. (Or the OGRE "suicide overload".... :P )

And, of course, some of us don't use the BOOM card.... ;)

Smile Flight of the giants pictures

I anxiously await any pics from our European counterparts once you have the game in hand.

Thank you.

Timmy

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Kuijt
    Sorties Flown

Fantasy Flight Games has just updated their "Upcoming" web page to list Flight of the Giants as "Shipping Now:"

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_upcoming.asp

From their webpage:
    The product is being shipped from the FFG warehouse in Minnesota to stores and distributors. This process takes between 7-10 days for the US, or a few days longer in Canada.
    I've started holding my breath.

Nexus Games say that FoG is now available.

http://www.nexusgames.com/read.asp?id=3702

Question Looking for photos

I hope someone can upload photos of the game gear once they have a FotG as I won't be off vacation for another week.

Timmy

Well as soon as I get home today I will be calling my local shop to order this. Very exciting - just bring on the minis now, even two per side would be good enough

I stole these images from Air Battle Mgr's gallery from a recent visit to FFG Game Center. Thanks man!

The plane cards look smaller then what I thought they would be... or are the movement cards larger??

NeilCFord

It looks like there are two sizes of bombers from the shot of them spread over the counter.

A Big Thanks to Timmy for posting the pictures.

- Neil.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matias
    Sorties Flown

NICE!!

6 movement decks
    8 models in 2 separate groups, large and extra large...

multiple motor rules I preusme...

Really nice looking, thanks for the preview pics! Put in my order yesterday with my local shop.

Default Bomber sizes

There are two different bomber sized cards.

Maneuver cards are standard size.

Each card is double sided with a different bomber on each side.

Same applies for the control cards that have the corresponding bomber control on the other side.

There are also different rules for different bomber firing arcs if they have overlapping fields of fire.

My favorite part is the crew movement tokens so your crfew members can climb out on a the wing to get to a different part of the aircraft.

GREAT EXPANSION!

Timmy

Arrow Firing dots

If you can see from the pictures there is a blue dot for each aircraft that represents the center of the plane for determing if you left the table.

There are also multiple red dots to determine different firing ranges -- great thinking Andrea!

I have become addicted to palying with minis but this will make an exception.

I am especially looking forward to harrassing these with a maneuvarable aircraft.

It would appear though that you can't just take out the rear gunner and restrict firing arcs as you can move your crewmembers around the plane.

timmy

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matias
    Sorties Flown

I think that Im buing 1 right now!

Smile Buying 2!

I am picking up 2 Thursday directly at Fantasy Flight Games HQ

Default Smaller control boards

I was a little surprised by the smaller control boards not sure if I will warm up to the smaller board or not.

I am betting that after a while I will appreciate the added game space it affords.

Timmy

NeilCFord

I like the look of the new control boards, definitely free up table space.

- Neil.

So how long before these reach the shops? It sounds that the release policy is working like buses, nothing for a long time and then many come together.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    So how long before these reach the shops? It sounds that the release policy is working like buses, nothing for a long time and then many come together.
    I sent an E-Mail to Coolstuffinc.com the other day asking this very question. They said it was being shipped from the distrubutor on July 6 and that they would have it on July 7.

Default LGS ships July 1

LGS said they can order July 1

My shop had mine in to where I got it today. Can't wait to play!

But, dang these birds move slow...wow...would take like twenty turns to get across the table...

Default Quality issues

As I punched out my plane cards, my wife asked why that one is off kilter. Sure enough, a number of the cards are pre-cut too short. The Zeppelin is the most notable as the name is cut-off.

Anyone else have a set cut this way -- or am I just unlucky? [I am usually unlucky]

I will try to get some pictures tomorrow to demonstrate.

Timmy

P.S. I apologize to the COL for starting a separate thread and then realized this is probably the thread to continue it on.

Suspect you have a set that should be reported to FFG and replaced by them.

Default Quality Irony

Quote Originally Posted by Ritterton View Post
    Suspect you have a set that should be reported to FFG and replaced by them.
    The ironic thing of this is I bought the first set sold at the FFG Event center at their HQ in Roseville. As a superfan of this game and FFG in general, I can't complain when this is the first product I have with a defect.

Timmy

Default Flight of the Giants in Austin, TX

My FLGS, Great Hall Games, had these on the shelf just in time for the weekend. I picked up a copy and have already broken most of it out.

The photos in the previous posts do a great job of showing you what you get. And what you don't. No range gauges. No basic rules. (You shouldn't need them by now!)

The control boards are smaller, which is nice. But the space is replaced with the management board for each giant—which is necessary.

The cards are very thin. I was hoping they'd have the thickness of the drachen cards. So I'm considering encapsulating mine in a laminate to give them some stiffness and so I can use grease pencils on them, if I want.

The illustrations are great and you can get quite a few planes in the air with all the maneuver decks they give you. And the booklet gives a lot of information about how to play the bombers and their unique attributes as well as several scenarios.

I'm thinking that just one giant will be a handful for anyone. Not sure if new players wouldn't be more confused by all the information they have to keep track of on the management cards.

Not to mention that the bombers are real damage sinks! The Zeppelin Strakken can take 35 hits, has four engines, and five gun positions. Looks like head-on is its weakest aspect, but very deadly if you wind up behind it!

Default Zeppelin Card miscut

Was you Zeppelin card pre-cut too short? My set was and I am wondering if this is a just a fluke occurrence ?

You can see the wing is cut a tad short on one side. I am hoping someone can confirm this is not standard before i ship it back to FFG.

thanks Timmy

Default Flak will fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rollout View Post
    Not to mention that the bombers are real damage sinks! The Zeppelin Strakken can take 35 hits, has four engines, and five gun positions. Looks like head-on is its weakest aspect, but very deadly if you wind up behind it!
    Bring on the flak, the natural enemy of the multi-engined bomber. Speaking of which, what is the top altitude of these giants? They might be able to fly higher than the flak can reach, but it will make it much harder to bomb accurately.

Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Bring on the flak, the natural enemy of the multi-engined bomber. Speaking of which, what is the top altitude of these giants? They might be able to fly higher than the flak can reach, but it will make it much harder to bomb accurately.

Carl.

top altitude ranges from 6 to 13.

Timmy

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post

Carl.
    Hmmm.

My "The Essential Aircraft Identification Guide, Aircraft of World War I, 1914-1918" says:

Service Ceiling

Gotha G.IV............................6,500m (21,325ft)
    Staaken R.IV.........................3,700m (12,139ft)
    Zeppelin Staaken R.VI.............3,800m (12,467ft)
    Gotha G.V.............................6,500m (21,325ft)

Handley Page O/100................2,590m (8,500ft)
    Handley Page O/400................2,590m (8,500ft)

Caudron R.11.........................5,950m (19,521ft)

Caproni Ca.3..........................4,500m (14,764ft)
    Caproni Ca. 4.........................3,000m (9,842ft)

De Havilland DH. 10.................5,029m (16,500ft)

Sikorsky Ilya Muromets.............3,200m (10,500ft)
    Last edited by Rick57; 07-06-2010 at 08:10. Reason: accuracy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WGF: Series 4 Miniatures
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 308
    Last Post: 12-03-2010, 05:00
  2. WGF: Hit & Run booster
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-10-2010, 09:50
  3. WGF: Crossfire booster