Ares Games

Daniel's Notepad

Journey on the Wings of Glory - Chapter 9: University Campus and Bookshop

Rate this Entry
20/6/2016

The first morning when I did not have any duties. I woke up early and cough a bus to the airport. First recomandation: Have as many 1$ banknotes as possible. Every time." Bus don't give you change back. During my first bus drive, I should pay 2$,but have just 1.50$. Drive told me that today I am 10 years old and let me go. In the second bus I had to pay whole 5$ instead 2.75$. Life's that.
I needed to go to the airport because I am still little nervous about my flight change in Washington Dullas, but two United Airlines attendants told me that 1 hour is enough an in the case that I would be late they make me a reservation for free. Cool.

I had a meeting with Ann (missdomingo) who promised me a tour to the university campus. She pickuped me at 9 am at the airport and took me to the campus. She showed me her office and let me go, because she had a meeting.

Ohio State University
Name:  20160620_122749_HDR.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  193.5 KB

The campus is so nice! I was amazed how friendly could brick buildings look. There is a big (American) Football stadium for 100 000 visitors - an American scale... (at least, it is not for eat)

The Stadium
Name:  20160620_103031.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  171.6 KB

Jesse Owens Replicas
Name:  20160620_103019.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  113.1 KB

The weather was pretty hot and I was bathing in my own sweat sometimes. But in a shade the temperature was much better. There also a beautiful Mirror Lake and The Oval - a big green park.

Mirror Lake
Name:  20160620_114500.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  199.1 KB

The Oval
Name:  20160620_120519.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  135.9 KB

When I met Ann again, she took me to the student restaurant called "Loopies" and we have a good time during lunch. Then she showed me her favourite places - Orten Hall (a special house with geology museum - a lovely place) and the Library (main one) where are letters in all languages of the world everywhere on the floor and elevator doors. And there is also a secret chamber - an eagle's nest in the 11th floor where is a 360° view.

View from the Eagle's Nest
Name:  20160620_150339.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  170.6 KB

Name:  20160620_150053_HDR.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  165.4 KB

Name:  20160620_150612.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  123.7 KB

She even missed another meeting because of me - she's a very good guide. When we met again, she told me that one of her colleagues has Czech wife - Simona - and it would be fine to go for a dinner. Neat idea.
Then she showed me a buckeye tree (yes!), her lab and even the others (big agricultural machines included).

The dinner with Ann, Nancy, Mike, Simona and theirs little daughter was magnificent. Mike told us how he was in Luhačovice to ask Simona's parents about her hand and how he met an alcohol drink slivovice for the first time. Both of them are nice people and I am glad that Ann arrange this dinner for me.

The last part of my day was a visit in a bookshop. But what a bookshop! In German Village in Columbus is a big house. And in this house there are 32 rooms. Small, but they are there. And in these 32 small rooms are thousands of books. Almost of every books! And the bookshop close at 11pm. Wonderful. I spent there at least an hour - I was just passing around and enjoyed atmosphere there. If you get to German Village, go there. I will probably go there tomorrow again.

Bookshop on 3rd Street
Name:  20160620_223635.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  141.6 KB

Name:  20160620_212708.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  161.1 KB

Submit "Journey on the Wings of Glory - Chapter 9: University Campus and Bookshop" to Digg Submit "Journey on the Wings of Glory - Chapter 9: University Campus and Bookshop" to del.icio.us Submit "Journey on the Wings of Glory - Chapter 9: University Campus and Bookshop" to StumbleUpon Submit "Journey on the Wings of Glory - Chapter 9: University Campus and Bookshop" to Google

Updated 06-01-2022 at 05:16 by Dan-Sam

Categories
Origins 2016

Comments

I'm glad you had a chance to see the Ohio State campus. The Book Loft is indeed a hidden gem!
    That's what I missed...

Nice pictures.
    Very glad to enjoy your blog,,,especially to see familiar sights through another's eyes.
    These were my stomping grounds for over ten years...virtually lived in the library...got married in the little amphitheater just off Mirror Lake...but have to express how much your visit and views make the old look so new and refreshing. Thanks for your blogging...sorry I missed your visit.
    To TommyZ: I like the Book Loft really much - a lovely place!

To redcoon2: Glad you like my blog. I have totally different perspective, I'm just a common visitor. Hope it is interesting for you