Ares Games

Blackronin

Shadows of the Mountain of Games – First - The Call of Cthulhu

Rate this Entry
The second RPG I’ve ever played was The Call of Cthulhu. Chaosium 2th Edition. Having read several Lovecraft novels and stories and having already opened my wings as a player and game master with D&D 1st Edition – the beautiful Red Box – I was immediately hooked by this possibility. As I was reading the rules I knew I would be a keeper of Call of Cthulhu forever. Years and years of gaming in the realms of the Outer Gods followed. This was a game for me. Not that I was specially enthusiast about the Chaosium percentage system, but since the system – except the truly horrible – was secondary for me, I loved the games we’ve played in a Lisbon eaten away by the horrors of the twenties, when the first Republic fought to survive and Governments fell like ripe fruit.

In the shadows, horrent and viscous creatures prepared the end of Humanity and we loved every minute of it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]155036[/ATTACH]

I have several RPG systems and universe sourcebooks. Some are generic, others thematic, based in books, series, movies and comics. Usually I do not like RPG’s based on settings that much. I love Frank Herbert’s Dune, but I don’t care about playing in settings where characters as mythical as Paul Muadib wander around. The first time players interact with that kind of characters it’s the beginning of the end. Or the players start feeling dominated by the setting or they start acting like demigods themselves. And I don’t like it. I prefer the normal growth of the characters. And there is always the possibility that the characters change in some way the course of “History”.
But as an exception, I love the Lovecraftian setting. The playing characters are so small against the light of the stars.

I’ve already played several different editions of The Call of Cthulhu RPG. From Chaosium 2nd to 6th, briefly going through the D20 system, True 20 and finally Savage Worlds, I’ve played them all. This is the perfect universe for player that have no patience to deal with power players, blind Hack & Slash and two dimensional dungeon crawling. This is a game for role-players, where the part, the story and the beauty of the resolution are the most important of it all.

Ending as a babbling crazy or dying in a pool of blood is a real possibility, so one worries about role playing, investigation and acting and nothing at all about counting the “bad guys” you’ve taken down.

It’s not for everybody. But it sets the scale of the difference.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Images  

Submit "Shadows of the Mountain of Games – First - The Call of Cthulhu" to Digg Submit "Shadows of the Mountain of Games – First - The Call of Cthulhu" to del.icio.us Submit "Shadows of the Mountain of Games – First - The Call of Cthulhu" to StumbleUpon Submit "Shadows of the Mountain of Games – First - The Call of Cthulhu" to Google

Comments