Ares Games

Blackronin

The Kindness of Strangers - Interlude 2 – They Called Them Spitfires

Rate this Entry
June 4, 1940

"Squadron Leader Barrie was fished alive in the Channel", Kyte told us and everybody applauded. "Bad news is, he's got one broken leg, several broken ribs and a few burnings in his face." And all our cheering went silent. "And the others", asked Joachim. Kyte shook his head. “Apart from James and Nick here, there's no notice of any of them." We all look at the group. Six pilots. Five other were gone. One in the hospital for a long recovery. Dave cleared his throat. "What now?" Kyte made a strange face. "Now everything changes, my boy." He sigh heavily. “We’ll be merged with another squadron that also had appalling losses. We’ll rest and train.” “Train?” Asked Joachim. “Yes Joachim. We'’ll change mounts in a few days. We’ll start flying Spitfires.” Everybody went silent in awe. “Oh”, said Kyte, “two more things. I’m now Squadron Leader and Joachim was appointed Blue Section’s Leader.” Another cheer erupted and I went forward and shook Kyte’s hand. “Thank you, Eris”, he said.

[IMG]http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112055&d=1381087514[/IMG]

June 8, 1940

We were all around the recently arrived Spitfires, when the men from the disbanded squadron arrived. They came in an open top truck and they dismounted slowly. Kyte and Joachim left the mess to meet them. I elbowed Dave. He moved his eyes from the cockpit of one of the spits and looked at the newly arrived. Then Joachim shouted. “Andrzej!!” And he start running to one of the pilots who moved quickly in his direction. As they met they embraced laughing loud. “What now?” Asked Dave. Kyte joined us. “Spain? Poland? France?” I asked softly. “I’d say all of it”, replied Kyte. “We have pilots, we have planes, Mr. Churchill says that the Battle of Britain is about to begin... Let’s go to work.”

Submit "The Kindness of Strangers - Interlude 2 – They Called Them Spitfires" to Digg Submit "The Kindness of Strangers - Interlude 2 – They Called Them Spitfires" to del.icio.us Submit "The Kindness of Strangers - Interlude 2 – They Called Them Spitfires" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Kindness of Strangers - Interlude 2 – They Called Them Spitfires" to Google

Updated 09-15-2014 at 15:45 by Blackronin

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Mrs K. and I await the development of this wonderful story with the greatest anticipation.
    Kyte.
    Thanks, my friend. Here it comes.
    And so the strands of fate are drawn together. We are all in the same place at the same time.
    Rob.