Ares Games

Bloody April 1918 Campaign

Generic dogfight setup

Rate this Entry
For the Bloody April 1918 campaign, I needed a way to replicate the advantage a plane has in the Bloody April game on the Wings of Glory table. In Bloody April a flight gets shots based on factors such as aggression, altitude, attacking from the rear, and attacking out of the sun. I’ve created the setup below give an advantage based on the shots each side gets in the Bloody April game.
Setup rules:
Defender is the side with fewest shots in the Bloody April game. Subtract the defender’s BA shots from the attackers BA shots, and that number is the attackers Advantage Points for each plane. The Defender sets up in the middle of the board with all his planes facing the same direction. The attacker then lays down the solo templates around a defending plane of his choice with 12 being the tail of the airplane instead of the nose. Roll 2D6 for each plane and the number you get is the area where you may set your airplane up in. Each plane may expend Advantage Points to modify this roll up or down by one for each Advantage Point expended. Planes are placed in the area indicated on the solo template at least 2 rulers away from the chosen defender (and 1.5 rulers away from ANY defender), 1 ruler away if you expend an Advantage Point. The Stem or center point on the card must be in the resultant arc, the rest of the base can be outside the arc. Bases or cards cannot overlap friendly or enemy aircraft bases or cards, if a plane cannot fit you must place it further away from the defender where it can fit. Altitude is at the altitude of the planes coming in if you play altitude.

Example: The Nieuports are placed in the center. The Albatros DVa rolled a 6, so is placed in the 6 o’clock heading two rulers away.

[IMG]http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76048&d=1360780827[/IMG]

The Albatros D.III rolls a 4, so is placed two ruler lengths from the enemy in the 4 o'clock zone at the bottom of the picture.

[IMG]http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76049&d=1360780827[/IMG]

The German side has one advantage point, so they choose to expend it and move the D.III one ruler length closer. This gives them a positional advantage, thus recreating the advantage they have in the Bloody April game by having a higher aggression value, more planes, and a lucky roll for the number of shots.

[IMG]http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76050&d=1360780828[/IMG]

Submit "Generic dogfight setup" to Digg Submit "Generic dogfight setup" to del.icio.us Submit "Generic dogfight setup" to StumbleUpon Submit "Generic dogfight setup" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Diceslinger - my copy of Bloody April is on its way. I cannot wait to start merging the two systems together for some great tactical, strategic and light WWI action.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Michael
    Having seen this, I will need to look into getting a copy of Bloody April. Looks great. Thanks for the posts.