Ares Games

Carl_Brisgamer

On the Road to Cancon 2013

Rate this Entry
I left Brisbane at 1000hrs and made good time, doing the 950 kilometres to the central NSW city of Dubbo in just over 12 hours.

I took a few photos on the first leg of my trip through the rural plains of central NSW:

Name:  Cancon Trip 002 Cows.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  196.7 KB
Cows enjoying the shade of a street sign outside Warwick

Name:  Cancon Trip 009 Grey skies.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  112.5 KB
Grey skies on the road to Goondiwindi - an ominous portent of the weather related obstacles I would strike on the return trip.

Name:  Cancon Trip 010 Texas sign.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  167.0 KB
Goondiwindi bound. Texas is a little town on the Queensland-NSW border, I was planning to go through on the way back, best laid plans

Name:  Cancon Trip 016 NSW.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  191.8 KB
Crossing into NSW, 400km down, 860km to go.

Name:  Cancon Trip 011 Grey skies 2.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  161.8 KB
The terrain between Goondiwindi and Narrabri is all plains, nothing like on the east coast of Australia. I captured some striking skyscapes on the road to Moree.

Name:  Cancon Trip 020 Grey skies 2.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  132.3 KB

Name:  Cancon Trip 021 Grey skies 3.jpg
Size:  119.1 KB

Name:  Cancon Trip 028 Sunflower 1.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  169.8 KB
Part of the Newell Highway is nicknamed the 'Sunflower Route', there are miles and miles of sunflowers growing wild on the side of the road - they are my wife Tracey's favourite flower.

Name:  Cancon Trip 029 Sunflower 2.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  275.0 KB

Name:  Cancon Trip 042 Neptune.jpg
Size:  191.9 KB
After grabbing a quick seven hours rest at Dubbo I was back on the road early. This Neptune maritime patrol aircraft was parked in a farmer's paddock just south of the town.

Name:  Cancon Trip 045 The Dish.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  178.4 KB
Ever seen the movie 'The Dish'? Well this is the real thing just outside of Parkes NSW. I stopped there for breakfast at the cafe.

Name:  Cancon Trip 046 Vampire.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  207.7 KB
Coming through Forbes I took a few shots of this De Havilland Vampire mounted as a veteran's memorial in the town's park.

Name:  Cancon Trip 049 Cattle.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  169.9 KB
A drover moving his cattle across the highway north of Temora, NSW. Instead of going straight to Canberra I made a 200km detour to have a look at the Temora Aviation Museum, I'll share those photos in the next post.

The Newell Highway was a great drive - very little traffic, good roads and great scenery.

Submit "On the Road to Cancon 2013" to Digg Submit "On the Road to Cancon 2013" to del.icio.us Submit "On the Road to Cancon 2013" to StumbleUpon Submit "On the Road to Cancon 2013" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments