Ares Games

Conversation Between rrodrick and Snowy

3 Visitor Messages

1. Very cool that the guy staying at the hotel joined the fun!! When I think of player aids I think of additional printed material that helps explain things. I will definitely copy your idea of putting pilot logs on the back of the aircraft mat. I printed off some card sized explanations of the different damage results from the damage decks (guns jamming, smoke, etc.) that I will put in sleeves so people don't have to ask what the symbols mean. I found those on this site or BoardGameGeek. They are nice.

Thank you so much for your prompt answer. It was exactly what I wanted to know.

Good Flying!!
  2. Rick, thanks for the comments. I did have a couple of Newbies, always do and I welcome them. I think the best part of the whole day for me was a fellow who was just staying at the hotel, 'discovered' us. He was so amazed by what he saw, he bought the starter set and a couple of aircraft for himself and his son of 8. He is now a gaming family and probably will return for the next con. It really is the payoff.
    As for gaming aids, I really try to keep to the original as much as possible so that the game is represented well. There are other games that used some interesting gadgets. What kind if game aids were you interested in.
    I do use a printed form of the aircraft mat, with a pilot log on the back if a player wants to record their victories. That is fun. Also, I have some critical hit reference cards I pass around for reference.
    I also saw a neat altitude recording system. There is a chip system which is noted for example '6 1/2' which means at level 6 and 1 climb toward a two climb level. Compared to say a chip '6 4/5' which means at level 6 and 4 climb tward a 5 climb level. The advantage here is when trying to determine who is higher, 6 4/5 is higher than 6 1/2. See the simplicity? You just need to make the chips.
    Let me know if you get this as I am not sure I am responding correctly.
    Thanks,
    Erin
  3. I was just viewing your Recon 2010 photos. Looks like a great set up. I was wondering what game aids you used? Were there a lot of beginners playing?
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 3 of 3