Ares Games
  • Building the Reviresco Siemens-Schuckert D.III

This 'how-to' is 99.9% cut-n-paste from my original post in the Under Construction at the Columbia Aerodrome thread. I figured I'd tie it all together in one place for ease of reference.

... a Reviresco Siemens-Schuckert D.III, which may become Udet's machine, or may not.

For this, instead of the glue the little ring onto the prop shaft to hold it in place [NB, a step in one of the other Reviresco kits, I believe the DR.I], the instructions were to crimp the shaft with a pair of pliers. That didn't work too well. The prop sags a bit. I'll fix that last.

The fuselage is fairly clean.

The upper wing, and my first try with trying to wrap decals around a wing. I'm not too happy with the result. My plan is to touch up the iron crosses, trying to match the lozenge camo, then put some of Dom's down over top of them to straighten them out.

Decals on the lower wing. These went on a little better than those for the upper wing.

Preparing the fuselage for the full body Udet decal.

That didn't work. I figured it would be easier to cut out the Lo! portion of the decal and just paint the thing. Lower wing and struts in place.

Now I'm just waiting for the glue to dry, then it'll be time to try attaching the top wing.

D.III is in the 90+% completion range.

I didn't like how lopsided those iron crosses were...

So I painted them away. Now I can put nicer, newer decals in their place!

I've finished the Siemens-Schuckert D.III, and it's definitely my favorite!

As for fixing the prop, I took a teeny bit of blu-tack and worked it down into the prop shaft. That kept it from drooping and it still spins.

The tricky part of this kit were the decals. One a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being easy, 5 being a nightmare, this is probably about a 3, maybe even a 4 if you don't like messing with decals.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Building the Reviresco Siemens-Schuckert D.III started by jbmacek View original post
  • Donations

If you like our website and want to give something back, you can make a donation.

Please select a preferred amount of the donation, and then click the poster image below.

Donation Amount