Ares Games

All Blog Entries

1. My humble collection Feb 2018

Greetings!

Having read the forum posts here for several years and finally signing up recently, I thought I would share my Wings of Glory collection as it stands this month.

Of course it all began years ago with this lovely gift:
    Name:  66DD35AC-5DFC-4B8C-945D-D03C2C9063D7.jpg
Views: 3552
Size:  198.0 KB
    Sadly my kids have accidentally broken my WW1 planes so those WW1 planes will be some of my next purchases this summer.

For now my focus has been on 1/144 scale ...

Updated 02-14-2018 at 14:07 by ArkansasChuck

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Surprise in Games

[QUOTE=surfimp;432675]I am pleased to find this thread, as I too have been pondering ways to introduce the element of surprise in WoG, to try to emulate the effect of being bounced by a previously-unseen enemy.

My take works as follows, using only the contents of the WGF RAP box:

- Game is to be played on a 140cm x 100cm play surface (i.e. two WoG mats butted together on their long edges)
    - Divide players into Attackers and Defenders.
    - Defender deploys fully ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Ausarmourfest 2017 at the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum, Cairns (Part 4)

With a fairly comprehensive examination of the static displays completed it is time to take a walk outside to see some of the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum's vehicles in action. We were at the museum when it opened on Saturday and were among the first patrons to view the tanks, SPGs, APCs and armoured cars prepared for operations at Ausarmourfest.

Name:  IMG_1709.jpg
Views: 9680
Size:  177.0 KB

I have to say when I saw the Tiger I replica I was pretty darn excited. Beside ...
  4. Ausarmourfest 2017 at the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum, Cairns (Part 3)

One more look at the south wing of the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum before we go outside and see some armour in action. So far we have covered post WW2 armoured vehicles and artillery from WW1 to the present. Now let's get up close to a great selection of WW2 AFVs.

Name:  IMG_1770.jpg
Views: 11386
Size:  209.1 KB

The first is a Sturmgeschütz III, the most produced German AFV of the Second World War.

Name:  IMG_1772.jpg
Views: 9492
Size:  184.7 KB

This StuG III ...
  5. Ausarmourfest 2017 at the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum, Cairns (Part 2)

Part 2 of my virtual tour of the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum in Cairns will focus on the second category - known as the "Queen of the Battlefield" - the artillery. The museum has a massive collection of over 150 pieces from WW1, WW2 and the modern era, so I won't post ALL the pictures I took, but I will present a representative sample.

Name:  IMG_1733.jpg
Views: 9068
Size:  178.1 KB

At the end of the south wing of the museum the regimental banners of the Royal ...