Ares Games

All Blog Entries

1. Over the Front - Military Heritage Chapter Meeting

Over the Front, the League of World War One Aviation Historians, has two chapters that meet on occasion. For those of you near the National Museum of the United States Air Force, the Military Heritage Chapter is meeting at 1:00 p.m. on January 25th at the museum. I am not certain if there are chapter membership dues (will post as soon as I find out), but for those "historians" within ...
  2. The Kindness of Strangers - Chapter 5 – September Blood

[B][I]September 3, 1939[/I][/B]

Joaquim arrived late August at my doorstep. I was surprised. "What are you doing here, my friend?" "Trying to enter Soviet Union", he said with a tired voice. I nodded. "But now that's unimportant. You must get me to fly with you Polish", he continued in a harsh voice. I was surprised again. "Why?" I gave him a drink. "Don't you understand, Andrzej?! They're coming." "The German?" He laughed. ...
  3. Wings of War and Glory - Interlude 4: Infirmary

[B][I]December 15, 1915[/I][/B]

I wake up and fall again and again into darkness and fever for the last two weeks. Cold soft hands keep my hope and sanity when I feel them in my head. Rita's soft voice brings me back from feverish nightmares and from time to time my comrades come visit me. The bomber pilots have been here. I heard them, like in a dream, recounting my last mission to Rita. They brought me a present. "They brought you a present", I heard Rita telling me, ...
  4. January's work bench

So here is the latest version of the british jumping off trenches, sandbags removed as the only parapet shown in contemporary photos is made of chalk spoil from the trenches themselves (yet to be painted). I have done my best to show dirty calk in the trench floor, and thrown up by German counter shelling
    Name:  WW1 british trench3.jpg
Views: 5576
Size:  77.7 KB
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. January's work bench

This is an aerial photo taken shortly before the attacks began in September 1915
    Name:  Hohenzollern_Redoubt_aerial_photograph_1915_North_at_top.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  66.1 KB
    Categories
    Uncategorized