Ares Games

All Blog Entries

1. BIGGLES MISSIONS

WINGS OF GLORY has sparked my WW1 air war interest. I have started to read the Biggles books: My plan is to re-create the series of missions from the air combat stories from the books related to WW1:
    Just finished reading Biggles of 266 ......[*] Biggles in France [*] Biggles of 266 [*] Biggles of the Camel Squadron [*] Biggles Flies East [*] The Rescue Flight [*] The Camels are Coming

tO BE CONTINUED.....[ATTACH=CONFIG]80406[/ATTACH]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Images  
  2. Return from Cancon 2013

After a fantastic three days of WGS gaming over the Australia Day long weekend Tuesday morning 29 January 2013 saw me back on the road early. I was intending to drive the 1260km from Canberra to my home in Brisbane in one day - and I almost made it too!

On the way however I stopped to visit the scene of a terrible wartime tragedy which occurred on 5 August 1944 at the little NSW country town of Cowra.

Name:  Cowra 1.jpg
Views: 8761
Size:  200.4 KB

Located 170 kilometres ...
    Tags: Cancon, Cowra, POW, WGS
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Road to Cancon 2013 - Australian War Memorial (Part Two)

Moving on from the 'Air Power in the Pacific' exhibit you enter the ANZAC Hall featuring aircraft of WW2 in Europe.

The Avro Lancaster B1 'G for George' takes pride of place here.

Name:  AWM Lancaster.jpg
Views: 2354
Size:  197.3 KB

"G for George" flew ninety operational missions over Germany and occupied Europe during the height of the bomber offensive. From the time it was built in 1942 until its retirement from active service in 1944, the bomber was flown by ...

Updated 03-01-2013 at 04:36 by Carl_Brisgamer

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Road to Cancon 2013 - Australian War Memorial (Part One)

Name:  AWM entrance.jpg
Views: 3119
Size:  122.3 KB

On the Friday of Cancon 2013 the convention hall was not opening at midday, giving me a free morning. Whenever I'm in Canberra there is one place I always visit, the Australian War Memorial. Established as a national memorial to all Australian soldiers, sailors and airmen who had fallen in the South African War and the Great War construction started in the late 1920's and the original building was completed in 1941. Since then it has expanded to include ...

Updated 05-15-2014 at 07:36 by Carl_Brisgamer

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Scenario 1 Turns 11 & 12

[SIZE=2]Turn 11 [/SIZE]

2 Sqn A (1) was hit by AA and shot down while artillery spotting! A lucky shot, brought him down in flames close to Lens. Reports are that it was Willmot and Moore, and it has been confirmed that they were killed as their plane caught fire and plunged to the ground over the trenches. Brave infantrymen recovered the bodies and they were buried close to the front.

[SIZE=2]Turn 12[/SIZE]

A lone pilot from Jasta 30 (counter C) had ...

Updated 05-07-2013 at 08:31 by diceslinger

Categories
    Uncategorized