PDA

View Full Version : Yet another altitude variant

Gravitypool
10-26-2009, 04:04
The main issue i've been seeing with the variants proposed where the obligation to play certain cards in a row, which limits a lot the maneuverability ingame. Which in my opinion is not credible as is very common to change direction while climbing/diving to avoid opponents in a real dogfight. What should be preserved is speed instead.

Yesterday we used the following and played pretty well: Keeps the game simple, allows easy change of altitudes but does not limit maneuverability in excess.

Climb (+1 altitude) + Any nonsteep slowspeed maneuver
Dive (-1 Altitude) + Any nonsteep highspeed maneuver

Overclimb: Climb (+1 altitude) + Stall (+1 altitude) + Any nonsteep slowspeed maneuver
Overdive: Dive (-1 Altitude) + Highspeed straight (-1 Altitude)+ Any nonsteep highspeed maneuver

Split S: Stall+Immelmann (-1 Altitude) +Any nonsteep highspeed maneuver
Immelmann Turn: Highspeed straight+ Immelmann (+1 altitude)+ Any nonsteep slowspeed maneuver

This are the only cases where an engine broken plane can perform a highspeed maneuver, by diving to gain inertial speed.

In my play group also when we play "illegal maneuvers" instead of replacing the card with a straight, we play the illegal maneuver but the plane takes an (A) counter for structural damage. this allows for more acrobatic maneuvers at the pilot's risk.

Opinions are well received ;)

CappyTom
02-20-2010, 18:57
I like your idea. This way you don't lose ability while climbing and diving. I'll see what my friends think of it.

Tom

mik
07-18-2013, 00:05
For me this is a must play house rule.
mik the stick

mik
07-18-2013, 01:21
Just had a thought two steep maneuvers in a row are forbidden in WW1 so you can't climb continiously, a mistake we have been making in the WW2 version. If you chose to do a continious climb with these rules all would be well. An overclimb should perhaps be limited to once during a continious climb.
mik the stick