PDA

View Full Version : Ace of Aces

The Cowman
11-17-2010, 11:56
In 1980 Nova Game Designs released a game called Ace of Aces. In my humble opinion this was one of the better games released in the 80's and 90's. I am curious as to how many members here actually remember the game and/or played it. I know it is responsible for my love of WWI era games. I know I will never part with my orignal Rotary Series set! :D

For those not familiar with the game a Wikipedia entry can be found here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_of_Aces_(picture_book_game)).

McKeever
11-17-2010, 12:14
Sure I remember. Handy Rotary was the version I had. Fun game along with Wing Leader (The world war II version) There was also a western shoot-out version which was okay, but didn't play as well as the air games.

Ed2
11-17-2010, 12:26
Never played it. Don't remember it.

Propjockey53
11-17-2010, 12:38
These were a lot of fun..Had them all at one time.

trumpetman52
11-17-2010, 12:39
I not only remember the game I still have one of the games. It is fun to play getting the cockpit views of your flight. It is always scary when you see the enemy coming at you with his guns blazing.
trumpetman52

tuladin
11-17-2010, 13:27
Loved those games - still have Handy Rotary, Powerhouse, Wing Leader and the Star Wars versions.

Edit: Jet Eagles too.

Flying Officer Kyte
11-17-2010, 14:18
Too old and drunk to remember anything. What was the question again?:D
Kyte.

The Cowman
11-17-2010, 16:48
Kyte.

...ummmm...Where is the £ 300 you owe me? :D

CappyTom
11-17-2010, 17:19
Never heard of it. Looks like a great game. Me and my brother would love it.

I had a game called The Last Starfighter. It was a 2 player game. Each player had 3 discs pinned together with lots of windows and numbers on the outer ring and pictures of your opponents ship on the inside ring. You also had a card to show damage to your ship. Now that was a fun game as well.

Tom

The Cowman
11-17-2010, 17:53
Never heard of it. Looks like a great game. Me and my brother would love it.

I had a game called The Last Starfighter. It was a 2 player game. Each player had 3 discs pinned together with lots of windows and numbers on the outer ring and pictures of your opponents ship on the inside ring. You also had a card to show damage to your ship. Now that was a fun game as well.

Tom

Tom if you are a collector of games and you ever come across a copy, I would snag it up quick, were I you. Very hard to find these days.

Volant Gun
11-17-2010, 17:56
Yes I remember! I owned the Handy Rotary books. I sure wished I kept it.

VG

CappyTom
11-17-2010, 18:07
Yes I remember! I owned the Handy Rotary books. I sure wished I kept it.

VG

We played them so much we wore them out. Literally.

kaufschtick
11-17-2010, 19:41
Kyte.

LOL!:D

Nevermind the question, who's buying the next round.:confused:

The Cowman
11-17-2010, 21:38
We played them so much we wore them out. Literally.

I'm confused... in your prior post you said you had never heard of the game... :confused:

LOL!:D

Nevermind the question, who's buying the next round.:confused:

I'm the relatively new guy here... so I guess it should be me... and since I like you guys, I have no problem getting the next round! Just say when and where and help make sure I have a ride!

Oberst Hajj
11-17-2010, 22:08
I remember them and still have Handy Rotary on my shelf. i was going through some boxes in the shed last week and came across Wing Leader as well!

Guntruck
11-18-2010, 00:50
Yep, had these as well. Excellent entertainment value after a couple of pints.

g.paoletti
11-18-2010, 01:42
Actually, I never heard about it.

I looked for it this morning.

It was a very good idea.

I will loof for it on ebay, or is it still on market?

G.

CappyTom
11-18-2010, 02:21
Ken I was talking about those rotary disc games I had not Ace of Aces.

The Cowman
11-18-2010, 06:10
Actually, I never heard about it.

I looked for it this morning.

It was a very good idea.

I will loof for it on ebay, or is it still on market?

G.

It is no longer in print. eBay has a few copies each of the different book series, but they are typically priced at $150 or more "buy it now"! :eek: If you can find a standard auction with a low starting bid and catch the bidders off guard you might be able to get a used set for a lower price. :)

Ken I was talking about those rotary disc games I had not Ace of Aces.

Ah... my bad! I would not mind finding a set of those sometime either! :D

g.paoletti
11-18-2010, 06:21
It is no longer in print. eBay has a few copies each of the different book series, but they are typically priced at $150 or more "buy it now"! :eek: If you can find a standard auction with a low starting bid and catch the bidders off guard you might be able to get a used set for a lower price. :)

Ach so!

Many thanks.

G.

bsmith13
11-18-2010, 08:15
I've got Handy Rotary and Wing Leader, but I learned on my friend's copy of Flying Machines that he got for Christmas when I was 17.

rrodrick
11-18-2010, 15:09
One of my favorite games of all time. We used to sit in choir practice and play when our section wasn't rehearsing. Very easy to play almost anywhere. I still have, and play, handy rotary series, powerhouse series, and flying machines. Handy Rotary is the most fun in my opinion because the speed of the planes is just right. And how can you not love the rotary turn?

Goering Ace
11-18-2010, 16:44
Sadly, I never heard of it (even though it was right in the time of my teen years). I would like to play it sometime, though. Sounds like a fun game.

The Cowman
11-18-2010, 18:22
One of my favorite games of all time. We used to sit in choir practice and play when our section wasn't rehearsing. Very easy to play almost anywhere. I still have, and play, handy rotary series, powerhouse series, and flying machines. Handy Rotary is the most fun in my opinion because the speed of the planes is just right. And how can you not love the rotary turn?

I don't remember ever playing it in choir back in the 80's ( The Director would have killed us.) But many a 4 or 6 player game was played after school on Wednesdays during Chess and Strategy Club. I went back and visited my High School recently and spoke to the teacher who was our advisor... he told me they had not had a chess club in years... It just seemed wrong somehow... :(

sucklingpig
11-18-2010, 18:54
Oh yeah! Handy Rotary provided hours of enjoyment. I loved the campaign mode.

MayorJim
11-19-2010, 17:07
Yeah!! I loved that game. Still have "Handy Rotary Series", "Flying Machines", "Powerhouse Series" and "Balloon Buster". (Don't have the deluxe ed.) I still like playing with these...thery're great for taking on road trips, vacations, etc.

These are a collector's item now. They were published in the mid-80's I believe.

Kaledor
11-22-2010, 03:43
I still play it! Best traveling game there is... sit at the table and play. Flip the pages... :)

The Cowman
11-22-2010, 08:42
I am very happy that I am not the only one here who remembers the game! Makes me feel like I joined the right community! ;)

RonaldRS
11-23-2010, 05:41
would like to play it!!!:)

pistonpopper
11-23-2010, 19:17
I always wanted to get it but never did. Thank Goodness for WOW! Joe

Lucky Bryan
12-15-2010, 05:06
the game I recall playing was Aces High, where you had a cardboard plane token, and you had to write down all your moves, which were revealed after all had scribed.

Lucky.

Wolf
12-22-2010, 17:50
My oldest son and I still play them on family trips even today. There is also a World War II and jet version. There was even a Star Wars Xwing and tie fighters version. I have them including the anniversary edition. Wolf

jbmacek
01-12-2011, 05:19
Was that a FASA game? I recall seeing it, but never owned a copy.

As for Ace of Aces, we played boatloads of it back in high school. I had both the Handy Rotary and the Powerhouse series. In fact, I pulled out the Handy Rotary book as a "show and tell" during out first WoW game.

Another great game from the Nova Games flip-book series was Lost Worlds, a fantasy combat game using mechanics similar to AoA. It remains possibly the best man-to-man combat game ever made. Flying Buffalo owns the rights to Lost Worlds these day, and there's a Japanese company that does some rather risque woman-to-woman fighting books using the system.

rockyr
01-12-2011, 10:08
Brilliant design. I have three books (Power, Rotary, and Early War).

R

Jager
01-16-2011, 07:57
I have Rotory and Power (I think; their buried in the library). You know, this would make a really good PBEM game; just scan the pages, and the moderator sends to you what you see. I remembering running up to 8 players in colledge (you know, when we were supposed to be studying).
Karl

CappyTom
01-16-2011, 08:12
I have Rotory and Power (I think; their buried in the library). You know, this would make a really good PBEM game; just scan the pages, and the moderator sends to you what you see. I remembering running up to 8 players in colledge (you know, when we were supposed to be studying).
Karl

Hey if you can find them bring them Sat. I would like to see them.

rockyr
01-17-2011, 07:58
Boy does this thread overlap the poll about older players....

rote Flügel
01-17-2011, 18:52
I used to play an old Avalon Hill game.. Richtofen's War. all WWI aerial combat.. one of the reasons I love WoW so much..

Etairos
01-17-2011, 21:03
Can't say I've heard of Ace of Aces, but I do have a copy of Dawn Patrol, used colored 1" chits, most of the major planes in WWI. Has really nice stat cards on the planes with appropriate speeds, engines, alttitude. Never played it, still unpunched.

MayorJim
01-23-2011, 17:28
I might bring my Ace of Aces games to Origins...eat your hearts out!

jhary
05-25-2011, 05:58
collected all versions of it ecpect Balonsbuster even the WW2 Version of it and the Modern Day Version. Its the best Single Aircombat simulator with out Computer ever.

CappyTom
05-25-2011, 17:14

I'll play ya Jim. You just have to teach me the game.

Tom

CappyTom
05-25-2011, 17:18
collected all versions of it ecpect Balonsbuster even the WW2 Version of it and the Modern Day Version. Its the best Single Aircombat simulator with out Computer ever.

Is there a link so I can see these games?

Tom

The Cowman
05-25-2011, 17:39

Right now I only have one of my two Rotary Series books, my buddy in Jacksonville has the other so we can play by Skype.

Tom
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/798/ace-of-aces-handy-rotary-series#images

tuladin
05-25-2011, 17:42

Tom

Here's the boardgamegeek page for Ace of Aces Handy Rotary (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/798/ace-of-aces-handy-rotary-series) (same as Ken's link) that has links to all of the other versions. If you'te going to the Game Room Monday, I'll bring my copy of Wingleader (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6504/ace-of-aces-wingleader).

CappyTom
05-25-2011, 17:58
Here's the boardgamegeek page for Ace of Aces Handy Rotary (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/798/ace-of-aces-handy-rotary-series) (same as Ken's link) that has links to all of the other versions. If you'te going to the Game Room Monday, I'll bring my copy of Wingleader (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6504/ace-of-aces-wingleader).

Good. I'm letting my girl drive up to Toledo to get some practice in the big city. Hope I make it there... What time are you going to be there?

Tom

tuladin
05-25-2011, 18:08
I'm scheduled to be there from 4:00 PM to close (8:00 PM) but I live only 3.2 miles from the place, so if you're going earlier, I'll be there.

CappyTom
05-25-2011, 18:10
I'm scheduled to be there from 4:00 PM to close (8:00 PM) but I live only 3.2 miles from the place, so if you're going earlier, I'll be there.

I'll call when we're leaving it might be around 10am.

grumpybear
05-25-2011, 18:41
Kyte.

Was there a question?

tikkifriend
05-27-2011, 01:45
Yep I remeber the game , it was fun and played well, unfortunatly lost all my copies some years ago. A nice trip down memory lane :D

Burt
01-15-2012, 15:03
Dammit I went for the never heard of it box now I remember the game and have played it, can you change my vote, sorry.:embarass:
The curse of a old alcoholic befuddled brain.:drunk:

flyingryno
01-15-2012, 20:08
Yes, I played it. and the western version. I played againist some fools who memorized the books thats why I quit. I love this you cant cheat

Zoe Brain
01-15-2012, 20:22
Handy Rotary was the version I had.

If you look at the Official Unofficial Aircraft Committee's sheet on how to determine stats at http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=959 you'll see a blast from the past there. An homage to the game.
Normal agility
Good agility
Better agility
Best agility
Handy rotary
Camel special
D.VII special
Lumbering

redcoon2
01-15-2012, 22:23
Currently have all copies of the wonderful series. My beloved spice and I used to play to determine who'd wash the dishes...until she figured how to disappear into the clouds...view #233 if I remember correctly. NOVA also produced one set based on a series of popular novels about dragons, rather than airplanes...name eludes me, Dragon Riders of Pern or some such. Someone ought to reprint these to hook a new generation.

Oberst Hajj
01-15-2012, 23:08
Dammit I went for the never heard of it box now I remember the game and have played it, can you change my vote, sorry.:embarass:
The curse of a old alcoholic befuddled brain.:drunk:

I changed your vote, but I can't change that it shows your name under Never heard of it.

itchy
01-16-2012, 00:41
Yes played it a couple of times ,the club I used to go to had a few games in stock so if any body didnt have agame to join in there was always something in the cupboard to do.I remember this became the popular one and a few people bought it to play anyway.

Burt
01-16-2012, 00:49
I changed your vote, but I can't change that it shows your name under Never heard of it.

Thanks very much

flashard
01-16-2012, 02:13
If anyone is interested you can buy a copy here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/798/ace-of-aces-handy-rotary-series

or a delux set here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7118/ace-of-aces-handy-rotary-deluxe-edition

Including 2 in Italy for Gino

flashard
01-16-2012, 02:16
The BGG Marketplace is a pretty good resource, used it myself a couple of times and picked up some real bargains.

jhary
01-16-2012, 10:33
I had even the X-Wing VS Tie Version was a grate game the WW2 version was little complicated but it worked well only the Jet version was Lame.

Blackronin
01-16-2012, 12:14
I played it a lot. A friend of mine had them all. I still miss playing Ace of Aces.

Baldrick62
01-16-2012, 12:36
I still have all the WWI incarnations, and still a very handy way to pass the time while travelling. A timeless classic!
BofB

Oberst Hajj
01-23-2012, 23:37
I just came across the WWII version, Wing Leader, in a box in the garage the other day!

Ed2
03-04-2012, 15:43
Was too into Blue Max/Canvas Eagles to try it.

flyingryno
03-04-2012, 16:08
I used to havit but, Itradedit off for some nids. Got tired of running into players that memorized the books.

Lugburz
06-23-2012, 05:07
Ace of Aces is attempting to reprint — currently looking for backers on Kickstarter! I've already pledged my $60 for the game. This is make-or-break, if the goal isnt met then the game won't be republished. Spread the word!

http://kck.st/KqIUkG

Oberst Hajj
06-23-2012, 05:30
This is a great game and I've still got my copy (and a few of the expansions). I wish them well, but that's a tough goal to reach.

The Cowman
06-23-2012, 11:59
This is a great game and I've still got my copy (and a few of the expansions). I wish them well, but that's a tough goal to reach. I am thinking they set the bar a bit too high... whether intentionally or not... :(

Jager
06-23-2012, 12:05
Yeh, I'm afraid they went for too much; great game, but since I own 3 of the book sets, I really can't buy into this.
Karl

Chris Maes
06-24-2012, 19:27
Yes, I remember it fondly. Used to take it with me on field training exercises to kill some down time, etc... One of my younger Soldiers refered to as an "Amish video game". Had (and still have... somewhere) the Power, Rotary and Balloon Busters versions. Nearly won a tournament ages ago.

Chris Maes

Haystack
08-24-2012, 03:55
I heard of it but sadly never had it. Sounds like I missed out on something.

Oberst Hajj
08-24-2012, 07:42
Brian, this might help you out.... Kickstart Ace of Aces (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/994700393/ace-of-aces-rotary-series-limited-edition-reprint-0).

Haystack
08-27-2012, 19:59
Brian, this might help you out.... Kickstart Ace of Aces (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/994700393/ace-of-aces-rotary-series-limited-edition-reprint-0).

Thanks Keith. Good to see they got the funding. ;)

7eat51
01-15-2013, 23:57
My wife loves the WWI series and the Lost World fantasy series. It was her first foray into gaming early in our marriage. Needless to say, I am fond of them.

Great video on Lost World series:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/21093/lost-worlds/video-review

7eat51
01-16-2013, 00:00
Currently have all copies of the wonderful series. My beloved spice and I used to play to determine who'd wash the dishes...until she figured how to disappear into the clouds...view #233 if I remember correctly. NOVA also produced one set based on a series of popular novels about dragons, rather than airplanes...name eludes me, Dragon Riders of Pern or some such. Someone ought to reprint these to hook a new generation.

You're correct - Dragon Riders of Pern
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5735/dragonriders-of-pern-the-book-game

Big Blake
01-31-2013, 12:51
Yep , I remember them, but never got around to playing them. I did have lots of fun with the Lost Worlds series.

7eat51
01-31-2013, 13:06
Blake, if you have not watched this video, check it out sometime. The reviewer posts a significant number of reviews on games - all are informative. This one on Lost Worlds is enjoyable.

Great video on Lost World series:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/21093...s/video-review

Yep , I remember them, but never got around to playing them. I did have lots of fun with the Lost Worlds series.

Hunter
02-21-2013, 17:48
Never heard of this game.

boomerpete53
04-25-2013, 00:04
These "WERE" reprinted some time back as a kickstart project, ofcourse i didn't see that untill they had been made and sold out. i am hoping they RE-REISSUE them in 2014!
{had mine stolen at a comic con.}

Suffern
05-12-2013, 16:26
Loved these games. I have all the WWI books and kept a set in my glove compartment for those idle times we sometimes had. I also have several of the Lost Worlds books which were for fantasy combat for D&D and the like.

flyingryno
05-13-2013, 12:44
Had some of the lost world books played them too!

boomerpete53
05-13-2013, 21:41
Not only do i remember them, i would love to trade some other stuff i have for a set! HINT HINT.

did i mention i am also a model railroad NUT!

7eat51
05-14-2013, 06:41
Not only do i remember them, i would love to trade some other stuff i have for a set! HINT HINT.

did i mention i am also a model railroad NUT!

Hey Peter, I have a jet version of Ace of Aces you can have if you want it. If I got rid of the WWI or Lost World booklets, I think my wife would send me with the package.

Naharaht
10-27-2013, 11:49
For the latest news about 'Ace of Aces' visit the 'Flying Buffalo' website at http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/ace.htm.

Flying Officer Kyte
10-27-2013, 12:08
Just watched the intro video Dave.
Looks like a good game for on a long train journey.
Rob.

Naharaht
10-27-2013, 13:46
In the 'Ace of Aces' video, did you notice that he had a picture of a page on his computer screen, Rob? I wonder whether it will be computerised at some point.

I too have some 'Lost Worlds' booklets both the fantasy ones and the rarer 'Battletech' ones. The 'Lost Worlds' fantasy booklets are still being produced. You can even have one made containing photographs of yourself (if you can afford it). Flying Buffalo sell them.

tikkifriend
10-27-2013, 16:24
Wow long time no hear for this game , had a set in the late 70's but divorce and moving ment we parted company a long time ago.:hmm::(:(

Naharaht
11-05-2013, 17:11
I have read in another forum that the pdf files for the new printing of 'Ace of Aces' have now gone to Flying Buffalo, so the game may be available again very soon.

Teaticket
11-05-2013, 17:53
Had it, played it, loved it, sold it, doh!

milcoll73
10-06-2014, 01:57
had em, played em a few times. hated em. the maneuvers didnt seem to conform to the laws of physics or my sense of spatial reasoning. much prefered blue max.

Wolf
11-17-2014, 11:51
Yes I still have my books including jets and star wars

Teaticket
11-17-2014, 13:34
Handy Rotary is the only one I ever had but it's long ago sold. Great game.

Barkmann
11-17-2014, 17:57
Never even heard of it.:D

Smitch
11-18-2014, 16:09
I played a friend's copy of the Handy Rotary set, and I still have my Jet copy. It's a fun, very unique game system. I like it even though I haven't played it in years.

Grey
11-18-2014, 16:21
I gave my original WWI game copies away, but replaced them years later.

I now have a copy of the hardback reprints, too.

DJBAR
11-18-2014, 17:17
My college roommate had it (in 1986). A few months ago I was remembering how fun it was and had to buy a set (Handy Rotary) on eBay. I think it was about $50.

matt56
11-19-2014, 14:07
Aces of Aces is a fun little game - I really liked the cockpit view of "where" you were going.

But what about Milton Bradley's "Dogfight" - THAT was my first exposure to WWI air combat (when I was a kid in the 60s)...now THAT'S a game I'd like to find again! I'm sure one's out there somewhere, but I haven't taken the time to look for it yet...

All the best,
Matt Materne

Thunderbolt
11-20-2014, 15:00
Never heard of. But the description is quite interesting.

phililphall
11-21-2014, 09:35
I got a copy of Dogfight off Ebay for a song. It, too,was my first exposure to an aerial wargame and my brother and I played it to destruction.

LS650
11-25-2014, 06:27
I was thinking of buying the new Kickstarter reprint books for Ace of Aces,but $70 is a lot to pop I think...

flyingryno
11-25-2014, 18:12
I was thinking of buying the new Kickstarter reprint books for Ace of Aces,but $70 is a lot to pop I think...

flyingryno
11-25-2014, 18:14
Why? its to dated. people can memorize the moves?

Mike George
06-26-2021, 11:42
There are four books for WWI Ace of Aces:
Rotary Series
Powerhouse Series
Flying Machines
Balloon Buster
they were fun.

Hedeby
06-28-2021, 11:40
Blimey I remember those, they were great.

OldGuy59
06-28-2021, 16:47
Link: Things That Walk into Museums (https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?32293-Things-That-Walk-into-Museums&p=520403&viewfull=1#post520403)

Graugans
05-01-2022, 05:47
Not this "Ace of Aces", but the video game of the same name, on my brothers Commodore 128. :D The first time I heared "Pomp and Circumstance" and to this day, this song feels like returning from an air mission.
Does anyboby else know this video game?

driph
05-26-2022, 18:10
Not this "Ace of Aces", but the video game of the same name, on my brothers Commodore 128. :D The first time I heared "Pomp and Circumstance" and to this day, this song feels like returning from an air mission.
Does anyboby else know this video game?

Yes! (but for us, it was on the Atari 800)

I'm still looking to pick up an XEGS cartridge copy of the game one of these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hST8Ee6fVI