Ares Games

Photo 14 of 49 from WWI Belgium Pictures

Company cooks from Landsturm Infantry Battalion 'Gera' and a week's worth of Rindfleisch

Letter on reverse (below) translated by Immanuel84: authored in Marbehan (Belgium) on 14.1914 (?) . Admin stamp from 4. Kompagnie, Königl. Landsturm Infanterie Bataillon 'Gera'.

Company cooks from Landsturm Infantry Battalion 'Gera' and a week's worth of Rindfleisch.

The first major task for the Landsturm units was securing the borders on the Eastern front but as the war progressed they took over the job of securing the lines of communication in the Etappe, freeing Landwehr units from this task. They were also used to hold the line in certain quiet areas of the Western front.

Feldpost

An
Herrn Hans Bach
in St. Wilmersdorf
bei Berlin Augustestr. Nr. 32

Marbehan, d. 14. 1914

Eure Karte habe ich erhalten und habe mich sehr gefreut, daß ihr an mich gedacht habt. Mir geht es soweit ganz gut in Belgien hoffendlich das es bald ein Ende nimmt. Wir wollen [das] beste hoffen. Es grüßt herzlich Otto Scheffel.

I got your card and was very glad that you thought of me. I'm doing quit good in Belgium. Hopefully it's soon over. We'll hope for the best. Best regards Otto Scheffel.

I had to corect the German a bit because he has done some mistakes.

Photo Added
08-07-2011, 14:23
Album
WWI Belgium Pictures
Added by
petitbilbo